Chambering opinions for a new Custom Rifle line

shortgrass,
Re-read my post! I did not say anything about using the chamber reamer to make sizing dies. I use Neil Jones F/L Bushing dies (reamed for my fired case) and a Newlon Seater w/ Mitutoyo micrometer topped blank, chambered with the finish reamer.
As for as having 68 chamber reamers, you can either charge the customer for the $180.00 for the reamer and go-gauge or rent them. Thanks for the reply.

Baron Graham
Rental reamers? How do I know the renter(s) before me had a clue? There are so many hobbiests out there who lack any serious machining experience who rent chambering reamers. My customer deserves better than that. Those reamers I own, well, they pay for themselves, just as the special tooling in a machine shop pays for its self. The 'specials' the customer supplies. If I feel there's a demand for it and will use it I buy. I never buy one until I have a job for it , though. It's all part of the 'game'. I've used all but a couple of them multiple times over the past 17 years. Some have 16+ chambers on them and are still cutting strong and making 'tight' chambers. The ony ones I've had sharpened were 'bad' tools to begin with. If you want to supply a top quaity product, you'd better own the tooling so that you have complete control. Mudrunner, carbide is not the answer to everything. Number 1, carbide is brittle, it chips/cracks very easiy. Number 2, you can easiy double the feeds & speeds. If you don't, you've wasted your money and all you're doing is rubbing those carbide reamers/cutters to death. The finish will suffer, also. It'd take a hell of a lathe hand to double reamer feeds & speeds on a manuel machine. Take the time to actually calculate the proper speeds & feeds for a HS chambering reamer, that's properly lubricated/cooled, and you' see what I mean. Most HS reamers get 'rubbed' to death, as it is. Number 3, Takes a real good coolant system to keep those tools cool inside that 'hole'. Better factor in the cost of building a 'muzzle flush' system. They ony real way carbide (reamers) can pay off is if they're used in an automatic machine or a production machine , like an old turrent lathe, neither would make a good 'chambering' machine. Think CNC. Better have real deep pockets if you're going to compete with the likes of Quarter Minute Magnums and Gunwerks (among some others),,,,,,, and they already have their reputations estabished in a niche market that appears to be slowing. (in the immediate area I'm in, I've seen a total of 4 firearms businesses close their doors in the last 6 weeks (big/large companies), and I'm in an area that survived , and actually thrived through the financial woes of the past 6 years)

Love the Norse gods - Odin and Thor - proprietary chambering names.

Attachments

• a9cc6155-f27f-4013-830a-373fa278ce92_zps44fa0f82[1].jpg
    a9cc6155-f27f-4013-830a-373fa278ce92_zps44fa0f82[1].jpg
    15 KB · Views: 87
Thanks Feenix.
Now tell me what you would rather have in the Models and chamberings listed. The Action Models are also Norse, but I'll keep them hush for now.

Again, all I want to know is what chamber you would rather have for each, LRH rig AND a Pack rifle.

Baron

I will say this about Baron. He helped me alot with precision shooting and some smithing questions. As far as knowledge and experience he is an ace. The few (very few) thing he may not know, he will find the correct answer. If my plans go right and all is well there will be an Odin in my family.

Thanks Feenix.
Now tell me what you would rather have in the Models and chamberings listed. The Action Models are also Norse, but I'll keep them hush for now.

Again, all I want to know is what chamber you would rather have for each, LRH rig AND a Pack rifle.

Baron

Long Range Hunting Model; Deviant Tactical using McMillan's Marksman stock and fluted 27" barrel + 4 Port side discharge brake. Chambered in:

-
.30x68 Thor (proprietary, .30 Caliber wildcat based off of the RWS 8x68s Berger 210 VLD)

Sporter Hunting Model; Deviant Hunter using McMillan's Remington Sporter stock and fluted 25" barrel, no brake. Chambered in:

- 6.5x284 Norma (proprietary, minimum spec chamber set up for Lapua brass and Berger 140 VLD)

I like to walk a different path and use something truly unique, however brass availability is even more important to me than being on the other side of the fence. Some minor brass forming and prep time is good, I think you learn a lot with this process, but I don't want to have to spend ALL winter doing that. Having said that, I am also a huge 6.5 and 7mm fan, so anything that shoots those bullets interests me. Right now I would be most intrigued by your 6.5X47 Lapua and 280AI offerings.

I like your ideas and it seems like a solid venture, more and more people are getting involved in long range shooting every day. Best of luck to you!

Trever,
Barrel Length/Contour would always be an option. But there again, it would be a custom order. With current lead times you'd be looking at 6-7 months at a minimum. The specifications on the LRH and Sporter will be for rifles that I'll try and keep in stock for immediate sale.
Load data on the Wildcats would be provided as well as Custom dies or Custom Ammo.

Crashman1,
I am in the design phase for a 28x68 Thor now. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
Trever,
Barrel Length/Contour would always be an option. But there again, it would be a custom order. With current lead times you'd be looking at 6-7 months at a minimum.
Load data on the Wildcats would be provided as well as Custom dies or Custom Ammo.

Crashman1,
I am in the design phase for a 28x68 Thor now. Thanks for the reply.
If you're looking for a design off the 8x68s case, I have had a few drawn up for over a year now, if you'd be interested.

I design wildcats with my software in my spare time.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.