Custom rifle opinions

Ltsheets

So I'm getting the itch for my first complete custom rifle. I have or have owned several built off of rem and win actions. This time I want one built from a custom action and might even go with a carbon barrel. I know this is going to be a loaded question, but if you could only buy one custom for your safe, what builder/company do you guys prefer based on your experiences. Also, if you were planning on using it for everything elk and smaller, with the priority animals being mule deer and smaller, what cartridge would you use? I'll sit back and enjoy the responses. Thanks guys.

Lane Precision Rifles. I have my 4th one being built and hope for delivery in the near future. Dallas is a great guy and will steer you in the right direction.

Alliance Custom Armory out of South Dakota, they make a very nice rifle and caliber of your choice. They built me a 28 Nosler that is very accurate. Another one that I had thought of using is McWhorter Custom Rifles out of Georgia, I hear very good results from the Rifles they make.

RBros for hunting. Also like Hill Country Rifles and Len Backus' Long Range Rifles.

7mm RM remains a great all around caliber for the type of hunting you describe. But, my own selection has been limited by the fact that I don't reload. If the recoil gets to be too much, shoot 6.5CM and don't hesitate to take it elk hunting. With the right cartridge/bullet, it's good out to 600.

Jim Borden makes a fine action and is an excellent gunsmith. I would chamber in something I can buy off the shelf in a pinch, like a 300WM

Also, if you were planning on using it for everything elk and smaller, with the priority animals being mule deer and smaller, what cartridge would you use?

Yes I reload.

Hunting I doubt I'd shoot any animal beyond 600 yds

Steel is shoot as far as the rifle is capable of shooting accurately.

I would chamber in something I can buy off the shelf in a pinch, like a 300WM

+1! The .300 WM remains my go to chambering for antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards; load it with 215 and you're golden.

I am fortunate to have access to 5 excellent and reputable gunsmiths within an hour of me, one of which is only 2 miles away from my house. Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate with site sponsor gunsmiths here.

Good luck!

I have guns built by RBROS and Jim Borden. Both very good to deal with and an awesome finished product. As far as caliber I would maybe go with something on the smaller side if it's only for deer out to 600 yds. For me I would use my RBROS 6.5X47 in this scenario. Shoots a 130 Berger right at 3000 fps with zero recoil. Can ring steel way out there as well. If bigger game is on the menu then maybe a 300 Win Mag.

I have guns built by RBROS and Jim Borden. Both very good to deal with and an awesome finished product. As far as caliber I would maybe go with something on the smaller side if it's only for deer out to 600 yds. For me I would use my RBROS 6.5X47 in this scenario. Shoots a 130 Berger right at 3000 fps with zero recoil. Can ring steel way out there as well. If bigger game is on the menu then maybe a 300 Win Mag.

According to the OP, elk is in the mix of game.

6.5x47 is adequate for elk, esp if the primary use is deer. Just be confident in shot selection.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.