New rifle build opinions

Aussie LRH

Hi guy's.
I am about to order a John Giles made (PSECO Australia) Rifle, this is what I want on it and am open for comments and suggestions, I want the weight to be kept around the 13 pound mark as I hunt Sambar and need to lug this puppy around.

338 EDGE
Stiller Predator Action, with fluted bolt
Lija heavy fluted stainless barrel
Jewel Trigger
McMillan A-4 Stock
McMillan Saddle cheekpiece
Vias Break
Ceramic coat action/barrel

Right let's have it what do ya's reckon????

Oh going to be used at 600 to 800 Yards gun)

Sounds like a great set-up. The Vias brake is very effective, but if you will be shooting prone, I would choose another brake like the muscel or painkiller. The Vias is a radial, non-indexed brake. When you fire a shot, some of your gas will be expelled through the holes in the bottom of the brake. This will kick up dirt & debris from the ground which can obscure the shot and throw all kinds of stuff onto your lens & action.

What kind of scope do you plan on using?

Aussie,
If you are only going to 6-800 yards, I would go with a 6.5 or 7mm and deal with less recoil with the 140-180gr bullets. These will have plenty of energy for what you are hunting.
However, if you are set on the EDGE, which is a great caliber, I would give TMR ( aka R BROS RIFLES)on this site a PM and ask him about components, as he has built numerous EDGE's in the 10-10 1/2# range without optics. Put a Nightforce 5.5-22-50 scope on it and come in at 12 1/2#
Shawn at Defensive EDGE would also be a great source for imformation on this.
Also, might want to concider going to a 28" barrel to save alittle weight. You will give up about 30-50fps but will not make that much difference out to 1000 yards.

Trueblue,
I am set on an EDGE, I want something that can carry 2000 ft/lbs to 1,000 yards if needed, for the time being I will be using it for 600 to 800 Yard shots, I have looked at the 5.5-22 NXS but I really like the 3.5-15 NXS, as for the weight I am waiting on what the components will weigh and yeah I will look at shortening the barrel to 28" if I need too, thanks for the info.

Aussie,

You are really close in my opinion.

1) If you don't already have your Stiller, have them melonite the bolt for you. Tell Russ or Jerry I said HI.

2) I prefer the new McM A3/5 with sporter fill and the integral cheekpiece. The saddle cheekpiece is not adjustable for cast off and makes it very hard to get right behind the scope comfortably. There is about a 10 ounce difference between sniper fill and sporter fill with the A series. If you weren't using a brake, I would strongly recommend sniper fill but with a brake, the sporter fill is fine.

3) Consider either a 25" or 27" tube. I don't know why but the odd lengths seem to shoot better. Anything longer is not as maneuverable in a hunting environment.

4) I strongly recommend that you consider the Center Shot Products Muscle Brake. I met Jim See at the VHA shoot in South Dakota this summer and picked up one of his brakes for my tactical 260. All I can say is "UNBELIEVEABLE". I've got or tried virtually every brake out there and for heavy hitters with large contour barrels, this is the way to go. If you don't like the looks of the Muscle, consider a Shrewd Varmint Brake. It has 7 degree forward ports, can be contoured to your barrel and has no ports on the bottom or top so good for prone. I've got a light weight 338 Win Mag with one of these and it works well.

5) Install flush cups on the bottom and the left side of the stock and buy a TAB Gear Sling from Rifles Only with flush cup swivels. This is the most versatile carry setup out there. Carry the rifle muzzle up or down on your right shoulder, or muzzle down across your back or front. The quick release clasps allow you to quickly go to gun and the sling has a built in loop for slinging up as well as a built in stiff section in the rear for a hasty rear support when prone. Works like a champ.

6) Consider the NF 5.5-22x56. I own and have extensive experience with the 3.5-15, 5.5-22x50 and the 5.5-22x56. Forget the weight difference - it's an ounce or two at the most. For scoring animals on the hoof and precision shot placement out long the 5.5-22x56 is the way to go. Much better long range resolution with the 56mm objective. I prefer the MLR reticle with .10 mil knobs and zero stop.

7) You didn't mention bottom metal. HS Precision or Badger or both good. Personal preference. The HS 3 round (really 2 with a magnum) fits flush and they offer a 10 round. The Badger weighs a little more but will take a beating and uses AI mags.

Best Wishes and let us know how it turns out.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.