New Rifle. Utterly horrific chamber...UPDATED 4/19/20

entoptics

EDIT: Full update on the final outcome on page 4. It's not good. And now that they've had a chance to make it right, and failed, the rifle is a Savage 110 High Country (and it's actually rifles, plural!).

Figured I'd post up my sorrows. I'll refrain from mentioning the name until I have some feedback from the manufacturer...

Rifle is brand new, upper end of their line (over $1100 MSRP). I picked it up this afternoon and took it straight to my wheat field. 6 hours later, it's going in the box to be sent back to the mothership.

Noticed that I was having weird "gritty" extraction, but chalked it up to no lube on the bolt. Nope...

When I got home and looked at the brass in good light, I found this...

Brass.jpg

Burrs.jpg

There's a pair of horrific burrs near the breach face, which caused the nasty gouges you can see at the base of the brass above the belt.

As you can also see, there's more rings than a tree. They're clearly visible with the naked eye, and so pronounced that they're marking up the brass from base to shoulder.

This seems WAY beyond "Monday Morning Manufacture". I swabbed the barrel before shooting it, and it was clearly test fired (also some soot on the muzzle brake). I can't believe their tooling could even produce something this awful, LET ALONE that their QC would let something like this escape out in the wild to be sold to some poor sucker like me...

Needless to say, I'm pretty freeking bummed right now. :(

Last edited:
Not browning. Savage. Almost easier and definitely faster to have someone with a lathe sand and polish the chamber. Best of luck
I could probably do that myself, but I'm concerned about what else could be jacked up (concentricity, throat, etc), and I'm pretty sure any gunsmithing, home or otherwise, would void my warranty.

Before taking matters into my own hands, I'll give them the chance to make it right. Well, I doubt they will do anything to make up for the gutted feeling they've caused, but perhaps they will at least get it fixed quickly at no expense...

Can everyone at least full screen/zoom the pictures, particularly the brass? I was so shocked at the problem I could see naked eye, I spent an hour trying to document it carefully for a computer screen.

At least hit the like button or comment on the outstanding image quality...That will make me feel a little better about this horror show...

At 6 o'clock in the chamber pic, looks like two vertical burrs. They can be removed. I had similar burrs closer to the muzzle in a Kimber. Sent it back and they replaced the barrel.

Photos are fine, I can see them well on an iPhone (zoomed in). Definitely a bad job by the factory. I recently purchased a new revolver in 10mm that had issues (rings)like yours but not nearly as bad. On the upper end Buffalo Bore loads, the moon clip would not eject from the cylinder. Had to polish each chamber in the cylinder with JB compound. It's still not polished to that mirror type finish, but at least brass isn't sticking anymore.

Figured I'd post up my sorrows. I'll refrain from mentioning the name until I have some feedback from the manufacturer
Rifle is brand new, upper end of their line (over $1100 MSRP). I picked it up this afternoon and took it straight to my wheat field. 6 hours later, it's going in the box to be sent back to the mothership.

Noticed that I was having weird "gritty" extraction, but chalked it up to no lube on the bolt. Nope...

When I got home and looked at the brass in good light, I found this...

View attachment 159337

View attachment 159338

There's a pair of horrific burrs near the breach face, which caused the nasty gouges you can see at the base of the brass above the belt.

As you can also see, there's more rings than a tree. They're clearly visible with the naked eye, and so pronounced that they're marking up the brass from base to shoulder.

This seems WAY beyond "Monday Morning Manufacture". I swabbed the barrel before shooting it, and it was clearly test fired (also some soot on the muzzle brake). I can't believe their tooling could even produce something this awful, LET ALONE that their QC would let something like this escape out in the wild to be sold to some poor sucker like me...

Needless to say, I'm pretty freeking bummed right now. :(
You did a great job with the pics I can clearly see a deep gouges near the base and a slightly less deep gouge near the shoulder rings are clearly visible all the way up the brass hope the manufacture will take care of this for you and I hope this helps you feel a little better about your troubles I wish I could do more

Heres a little tip! Look any gun over really good before you sign the transfer papers and pay for it! If you go to a box store make them bring every gun your interested in out and look at them all! Look at the stocks for proper fit, check actions for smooth function, look down the barrel and chamber. Pull the triggers few times, work the safety. Any problems are the stores until you sign the papers and pay the bill. Much easier to walk away from a *** gun than fight a manufacturer to fix it

lol that's nothing. Check this out....
56162911_328976314424529_4088099899835416576_n.jpg
56485558_808120659553635_4299550266623000576_n.jpg

This was a Savage, an Axis. You literally couldn't chamber a round in this rifle, NO idea how it made it out of QC......oh wait....they didn't do a QC....on a rifle.....that's ok I guess, it's only 60,000 PSI of pressure a few inches in front of your face.

I called savage, they told me to take it back to the retailer that I purchased it from for a replacement. I ordered it online through Academy.....didn't want to wait to get a another rifle back from them that may also be defective, especially since it was only $275 with a scope ha ha.....I had my gunsmith just run his reamer in it and set headspace, and also do a secondary overall safety check of the rifle, since I know Savage likely didn't. Told Savage that it was unacceptable and that they really should do a better job on QC, as the only way this could have happened was prior to the barrel being installed in the action. Pretty big ding to miss......ol well. They push a ton of rifles out the door, I suppose something gets missed from time to time. Just hope it's always just an inconvenience, not something that will blow up in someone's face.

The worst part, my smith told me that was the second one he had fixed like that in the last couple months.

Last edited:
I could probably do that myself, but I'm concerned about what else could be jacked up (concentricity, throat, etc), and I'm pretty sure any gunsmithing, home or otherwise, would void my warranty.

Before taking matters into my own hands, I'll give them the chance to make it right. Well, I doubt they will do anything to make up for the gutted feeling they've caused, but perhaps they will at least get it fixed quickly at no expense...
If it's a savage, they will likely tell you to take it back to where you purchased it and get you a replacement through whoever you purchased it from. If you don't mind waiting for shipping and the place you purchased it from doesn't mess with you, that is not an issue. Still sucks waiting for a rifle you already had. That is what they were going to have me do, but mine was a $275 axis, I didn't really mind voiding the warranty by having my smith go through it and fix it up. On a $1000+ factory rifle, I likely would have taken a different route. Hope it works out for you.

Terrible surface finish in the whole area. I've never owned a Savage but now I'm suspect of their current QC unless this was used and abused before you got it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.