New reloaded

Smackedazz

Any help you guys can give me would be much appreciated. I'm new to reloading and I'm looking to put together a load for my 30.06 to use on cow elk.

I put together a load of 4064 @ 54g with nosler accubond @ .015 off lands and shot .35 @ 100 and 1.25 @ 300. From a stock rem 700 bdl. I had trigger worked on but nothing else. 52.5 g also shot well.

180gr class of bullets would work fine. Berger, Nosler, Matrix, and many others. If you explain more on exactly what it is you want out this load we can help you more. To kill cow elk doesn't tell us much.

Ok sorry for not giving more info, most of this still confuses me. I am looking to shoot cow elk with a 30.06 at ranges not to exceed 500 yards. I need to pick a few types of bullets so my buddy/reloading mentor can help me put together a few loads. He is not a hunter and ask me to seek input on what bullets have worked well for you guys. In the past I have shot 165g remington core-lokt. It worked fine. Should I just look at 165 or should I maybe try some of the bigger stuff I see. Thanks again for all the help.

I have really good results with nosler AB in 180. BC is over .500 and the bullets hit hard. Several elk, deer, coyotes, and wolves have been taken with this bullet. All good solid results. I used 165 ballistic tips but had core separation. Still dead animals but I want the bullet to stay together.

For each is their own but I would not recomend or myself shoot at elk sized critters with a 30-06. I did not recomend AB's since I cannot get them to shoot as well as Partitions, but they do have great BC. and if they are accurate would get you a little more distance. Good luck!

I think your 30-06 with most 165 to 180 gr. bullets will work just fine. I have used 150 and 165 Barnes TSX bullets on cow elk and 180 gr. partitions with dead cow elk as the result. I is really about hitting them in the right spot.

I concur with the well built 165-180 grain bullet and 4530 or similar for the powder. Got my first mule deer buck with a 165 hornady with I 4350 out of an '06 20 years ago last hunting season. 30 cal hornady will penetrate straight through a full grown mule deer buck from front to back with an '06 or 300 win; there's no reason they wouldn't core a cow elk. Put a partition or barnes tsx in the rifle and get even more penetration if you are worried.

Brent I am not going to have a ****ing match with you and do not know if you have even ever seen or killed an elk. There is no doubt that a 180 starting at 2800 will kill elk, but you are shedding energy quick and at 500-yards you better have alot going for you. On the internet everyone is a long distance, elk killing expert. Do what you want, but if 500-yards on elk is your goal there are better calibers for your task. I have 3-06's and think they are the cat's meow, but when 700-lb animals at 500 yards is discussed that is when the 300WM comes out to play. Advice is free so ignore it and hope you draw a tag or are blessed enough to buy one.

On another note, with 58-grs of Hunter I get 2800 fps +/- with 180's and good accuracy as well 61-62 grs of RL22 in a 22" barrel.

I guess I assumed you read my post. I have hunted, guided, and outfitted the Idaho backcountry for over 30 years. I can not say exactly how many elk this cartridge has killed in large body mule deer and elk over those years but it is fairly high. I have not killed all that many, perhaps 10, with this rifle because I primary bow hunt. I have killed 15 bull elk with my bow. Which brings me back to clients and outfitting. 270's and 3006 are common but the magnums are more popular these days with heavy brakes. My buddy and outfitter uses a 3006 and has quite a large collection of large bulls that he and his wife have killed, going into the 350 plus range. For Idaho that is a large animal.

To your point is a 300 WM better, well of course, is a 338 better than that, well of course, is a ....... We are only talking about a 500 yard shot on a Cow Elk. Put that bullet in the right place and the estimated 2066 fps and 1705 ft lb of energy is going to do quite nicely. (@5000 feet, 40F, horizontal, 80% hum, .500bc) Do I have real world experience, yep, many many many times over. I am by no means a ballistics expert so feel free to educate us with examples etc. I am all for learning something new. I used to think and still kinda sorta do that a 270 is a wussy rifle. I thought the same of a 7mm-08 until we tagged a large muley a few years ago at 354 yards. He went 15 feet, DOA, complete pass through, excellent expansion.

Again Brent I am sure you can do it but going out to the city range I am sure you will agree most have no business shooting at game that far is my point not that it can't be done is all I am saying. I think if a hunter keeps shots under 300-350 yards the 30-06 will never let you down!

I too have taken my elk with string and stick, but like guns and shooting. Good hunting and again only my opinion after seeing game taken with various calibers.

So on the distance most people can shoot I do agree... ABSOLUTELY. I have had clients not be able to hit a 55 gal drum at 250. I just make sure we close or we don't let them shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.