New Rangefinder G7?

The G7 is a good tool and may suit some BUT I view it as a tool that takes the next step from a ballistic turret but it will not give you a total package solution.

I shoot a ballistic turret with an MOA bottom, it's range, dial and drop out to about 600-800 yards depending on the rifle but after that things need to slow down any way to ensure a precision shot, wind needs doped carefully, ranges confirmed multiple times, animal need looked over closely to make sure your GTG. I have MORE than ample time to get an app and a kestrel together for a precision shot at that point.

I keep my app updated through the day so it really only takes minor changes and I'm on a solution. I trust the Leica range finding ability more than the G7, which is it's primary function so for me game will be kicking on the ground before the G7 has convinced me the range to target is true.

For the dollars I have a Leica 1600 for $525, a super fast range and drop solution for $25, a Kestrel for $200 and a $10 app, this will take me 0-2000 yards with speed AND precision!

I have had good success for several years shooting out to 1000 yards with a variety of different rangefinders, and methods to determine the settings for the shot. Over time you tend to optimze your equipment to suit your needs. Each persons viewpoint is dictated by their hunting environment, game hunted,where you live and the time available to hunt, and personal preferences. In my view, a shooting system for taking whitetails at long range can be very different from antelope or elk. When evaluating equipment for long range hunting, the inquirer has to pay close attention to many opinions as to similarities and differences in the aforementioned factors even though they are from very knowledgeable shooters with proven success, but, with their particular brand of hunting.or shooting. IMHO

I might have purchased a G7vLRF but Bushnell owed me a replacement for an old Yardage Pro 1000 and gave me a huge discount on an ARC 1 Mile 10 X 42 laser rangefinding binocular.

I works vey well to 1,600 meters and I've loaded my .300 Win mag ballistics to get the hold readout in mils. Nice up/down angle ballistic distance compensation too.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.