G7 rangefinder reviews ?

prariehunter

I was wondering if anyone has any reviews from this fall with this rangefinder? I have read Len's review but haven't seen much else.

I spoke with one of the members here a few weeks ago who has been using one. He gave it a glowing review. I spoke with both the Davidson's about it over the past few weeks and they say it will easily range rock chucks out to 1200, above timberline in direct, bright sunlight, in non-reflective background situations. They also told me the ballistic software was as accurate as using a skymate weather station and inputting all the data into Exbal, only much faster. I'm going to bite the bullet after the holidays and get one.
I have a Leica LRF 1200 for sale.

COBrad, I have only used the G7 a few times while shooting with someone else that had one. I read where you want to range woodchucks at 1200 yards. The beam divergence on the G7 is much larger than a Swaro 8x30 laserguide. The Swaro's beam is 6' at 1000 yards so the G7 would be like 7 or 8 ft at 1200 yards. I am not a highly educated man. But I have done much research on Rf's and owned Swaros, Leica's, Vectronix and tested the Zeiss. The biggerst down fall with a RF is the large beams pick up something you are not trying to range and the result is an inaccurate distance reading.

I am not going to try to tell you not to buy a G7. But will encourage you to study the beam divergences of any unit you are considering and also to take a good long look at the new Vectronix Terripin. This unit is priced in the same price range as the G7. The terripin has a very small accurate beam and new owners are reporting readings to 4000 plus yards.

Jeff

I would love to see a video review of the g7. Range objects at different distances take 1 shot and repeat. I really want to see the capabilities of this thing before i drop $1600 on one. They say the beam divergence isn't an issue due to their unique laser technology. There isn't enough information availlable for this unit. We need a detailed review from someone that has one!

I would like to see any RF accuratly range a woodchuck alone at 1200 yards. The rock or mound he is on, ok. That would be a tough bill to fill even for the small beam and fne crosshairs of my PLRF10. It is a task to keep even fine cross hairs of he PLRF10 on a coyote at this distance.

Jeff

I had one in my hands in October, A friend bought a Huskemaw scope for his Lazzeroni warbird and also got a G7 and brought it to me to set it up. It does everything as advertised and will range out past 2000 on green trees. One and only drawback is the need to keep it outside of your coat so the temperature sensor can work as designed. I'm satisfied with the beam divergence , most rangefinders are ranging the surroundings and not the animal anyway. You must use a rangefinder a lot of times before you can truely be comfortable with the results. On flat ground, you may never be truely comfortable with the results. The size of the beam is only as accurate as the person aiming it and his familarity with that range finder. Set up a tall target on flat ground and move back and forth on it . Does the crosshair center on the target or do you have to hold somewhere off center? Just stuff you need to know to get a good range. G7 is well worth the price.

I don't expect any rangefinder, even the Vectronix Terrapin-the other unit I am considering, to actually range a chuck at that range, but it does need to range the ground, or rock, the critter happens to be standing on. I've been happy with my Leica thus far, but I am now moving beyond its' capabilities. So far, in this thread as well, the folks who are actually using them seem to speak highly of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.