new project 243AI

basher

HI-TO YOU ALL.
First post so be kind please.
my new project is a 243AI With a 1-8 twist.
looking for load info for 85g siera game kings and 95g&105g berger possibley amax aswell POWDER == VIT N160. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards TONY.

take it very slowly with vit n160 i had probs with 95 gr bergers and 160 at under 45gr so switched to vit n560 and at 46.5 gr i am getting 3100 with a es of 16 and no pressure signs i will be trying upto 47 gr on sunday .

Welcome to the forum. 243AI, excellent, keep us informed of your progress, I've often thought about that chambering. If my 243Win barrel ever wears out, I'll have to think more seriously about it.

Don

Hi Tony,
I too have been thinking of a 243AI. Excellent dies (Redding), brass (lapua) is a good start. Our of interest what barrel lenght, stock, action do you plan?

Glen - New Zealand

Welcome to the forum.....Might try Reloader 22 with the 105's if you have access to it.

edfac915.jpg

This is a Cooper 243 AI with a 100 yard load work up for the 80 grain Berger flat base and V V 540, Lapua brass and F 210M primers. They are both 5 shot groups! Different twist than you mention and the most easily shooting load was the 85 Sierra and IMR 4064.

Tony,

Sorry , I don't have loads for those bullets . My twist is 7.5 and I use the 107 smks at this point for my 243 AI . ( sako action, Schneider bbl 26", smithed by George Gardner of GA Precision).

I use 41.6 grs. of H4350 in Lapua brass lit by a fed gm 210 primer to push the 107 smk aroung 3050 fps as reported by my Oehler 35 .

That load has given 1/3 moa at 300 yds and groups at 100 were as small as .187 . AND , before I see flames and worse attached to this thread I will add that those groups were shot by a " picker " who had no time constraints and was shooting in ideal conditions . Meaning that I dont think I could reproduce them with any regularity in a br comp . That being said I must point out that I /it has done so many times . I dont know if I still have some of the old targets but if so I will post them .

Jim B. [image]
74c33f19.jpg
[/image]

Jimm,

You might try some Reloader 22 with the seirra's...I got the same accuracy, but with more velocity using RE-22 vs. H4350.

Thanks all.
GLEN, Yes i have ordered redding dies etc from sinclairs.use there gear for my ppc. will be using lapua brass,my chioce of barrel length is 26",stock mcmillan A3 on order,remington action,border button rifle barrel 1-8 twist with a 11degree crown,comp reciol lug.Jewel trigger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Cant get hold off reloader 22 over here.
REGARDS TONY.

I also use RL22 with the 107 gr MK and 105 gr Amax. Try around 42-43 grs may want to work up but my gun did not max out until around 44-45grs with Lapua brass. The redding dies are the best I could find however I did need to send the full length type s die back to redding so they could cut some off the bottom of the die for shoulder bumping. They did it free of charge and I was pleased with the results. Good luck and good shooting.

Lance

Sweet shooting gun Jimm.Just wondering what other bullets youve tried during your load developement?
Oh, and good luck with your new Surgeon at the shoots this year,hope you guys do well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hi Tony

I'm from the uk. I have just had a 243 ai built and it has been shooting half inch groups with factory lapua ammo whilst fireforming.

I have just loaded some n160 with nosler ballistic tips (80)grain. I have got a load with 48.5 .49 and 49.5 grains to try. I will report my findings.
I have been really impressed with the rifle so far and I'm sure you too will be delighted. I have built my rifle for stalking the smaller species of Deer in the uk. Roe .Muntjac.Chinese Water Deer.

I use a 6.5x284 on Red Stags.Fallow and Sika (When I get a sika that is ) .

Good luck with the rifle and I will post some info when I have shot the other loads

Regards

Fire at will

I have a .243 AI as well, but Mine isn't a target/ Varmit rifle. It's actually a Lightweight mountain rifle. It has a 22" bbl and I'm shooting 100g Sierra Gamekings and using H414. It shoots OK, but I know It can shoot better.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.