243AI Fireforming

I fire formed with 44 grains of W760. I have a ton of it and I don't use it so it was used for forming.

Never wasted precious barrel life doing something as dumb as pistol powder
Apparently your misunderstood his question. He was asking about fireforming specifically with the COW method (cream of wheat) in which you MUST use faster pistol or shotgun powders.

Also, fireforming with the COW method does not waste "precious barrel life", it is actually easier on a barrel than fireing a standard .243 load.

However I agree with the point that I prefer to just shoot rounds loaded to the parent cartridge standard, and while I could, I usually don't jam the bullets. I have made false shoulders quite a bit when needed, such as forming .270 Sherman from .270 win. Either way, I personally also prefer to just shoot rounds loaded with bullets. That is what I do with my .260 AI, they make for great practice. However I can understand in these times not wanting to waste the bullets if he has a limited supply.

Last edited:
Fortunately, bullet supply is not that much of an issue right now. It's just that I have read/heard about the C.O.W. method for years and figured I would try it someday. I just want to make sure I use the correct powder and the correct grs. of powder.

Fortunately, bullet supply is not that much of an issue right now. It's just that I have read/heard about the C.O.W. method for years and figured I would try it someday. I just want to make sure I use the correct powder and the correct grs. of powder.
I personally haven't done it, depends on the powder you choose. Unique, red dot, bullseye, etc. When I looked into it, red dot is what I ended up getting as it was what I could get ahold of. Do your own research if you go the COW route, but I think most people (for .243ai/.260ai)use between 8 and 15 grains. Big spread there, so again, do your research. I have also heard from two sources (though I can't verify this) that you want to fireform while pointing the rifle upward for even case forming? Not sure on that. Also make sure to keep your chamber clear of any cream of wheat while forming, it could possibly migrate in there during the process. Also, report what you find please. I will eventually need to form more .260ai brass, I may try it just for giggles.

Oh. I see you are in Wyoming. I lived in Green River for 5 years and in Big Piney for 11 years. Wish I was there now. My brother-in-law and I cleaned out many a prairie dog around the airport just West of Rock Springs.

Personally the lightest I used were varmint 72 & 80gr. Then the 87V-Max came out and BC has great gains farther out. H414 powder is a good choice. 80 gr going 3500 and 87 going 3400 really pop PD's :) When my 26 inch barrel goes I've looked into 8 twist 28 inch.

We went through two days of rounds south and east of Rock Springs. We are the drive and spot road hunters of America. Just out cruising the two track roads in a jeep! Some nice bull elk wondering around and of course 100's of antelope

Theres a big difference in going from 6Br to Dasher, everthing is moving forward.
Just simply AI a case only the shoulder moves forward.

A true AI chambering is meant to use the parent case, and headspace properly. Why bother with the Cream of Wheat, when you can get perfectly accurate loads with the parent case and perfectly formed AI cases after firing.

Yes, I find the the same load fired in the parent case (243 Win) is just as accurate as when loaded in the AI case (243 AI).