New Nikon product's from SHOT Show

The problem with a stabilized laser rangefinder is that the image you look at is stabilized, but the laser beam is not.
So, while the target looks stable, and you think you are dead on it. the beam is actually sweeping around with each movement of your hands. Now, if the target is a deer, it may not be a problem... but if it a 800 yd woodchuck or crow, you could be ranging something else entirely, or get erratic readings.

I would also like to know the beam divergence. Many of the laser beams that we use are much larger than we think.... like 4"x10" at 100 yards :(

Thanks Bman. Those are interesting numbers for sure. Here's why it matters: the vertical height of that beam is roughly 65" tall at 1,000 yards and 9" wide. Compare that to something like a Leica 1600 that has 0.5x2.5 mrad and it's 18" tall by 90" wide. A smaller vertical beam seems to be the preference for a majority of long range hunters and shooters for obvious reasons.

The problem with a stabilized laser rangefinder is that the image you look at is stabilized, but the laser beam is not.
So, while the target looks stable, and you think you are dead on it. the beam is actually sweeping around with each movement of your hands. Now, if the target is a deer, it may not be a problem... but if it a 800 yd woodchuck or crow, you could be ranging something else entirely, or get erratic readings.

Actually, it sounds like the stabilization also stabilizes the beam. Here is what Nikon says about it:
"Employing Nikon's STABILIZED system, vibrations of the image in the viewfinder caused by wind, adrenaline, cold and other hand movements are reduced*, and the irradiated laser is also aligned at the same time. Because you can direct the laser onto the target faster and more easily, the ease of measurement to a small target is greatly improved; all achieved by Nikon's original technologies that are a fusion of vibration reduction and high-performance measurement function. * The effect of vibration reduction: Vibrations of the image in the viewfinder caused by hand movement (sinusoidal waves) are reduced to approx. 1/5 or less (Based on Nikon's measurement standards)."

The scope was designed as a competition ready optic and those guys like to dial while at the same time the BLACK FX1000 reticle is more precise then the BLACK X1000's so adjusting for wind can be done either way. The BLACK FX1000 was very well thought out and starting out as low as $649 pretty tough to beat.

IMG_0180.jpg

I would also like to know the beam divergence. Many of the laser beams that we use are much larger than we think.... like 4"x10" at 100 yards :(

Cat that isn't true in this case, the laser module and the optics are isync in this unit so what you are seeing is what you are lasing.

Hopefully the scopes and rangefinders will start showing up in early March. My guess is if you find 1 in stock and have to think abouut it, when you go back they will be out of stock.

For those concerned about travel, I just took this to show you. This scope is listed at 17 MRAD in actuality it's just over 20 MRAD. The 4-16 is listed at 25 and it was 31. The numbers are very conservative!

I gotta say, from the pics I've seen they look like 2 piece tubes. I hope I'm wrong...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.