New NIkon BLACK FX1000- FFP,30mm,Zero-stop

I hope this scope turns out good and does well. I'm interested in the market segment just above it, so would love to see it succeed enough for Nikon to reach further and into the 1500ish dollar segment to add another option

I would like to see it be amazing. I'm just saying, across all venues, i've heard alot about the scope and what it should be, but no real comparisons. Seems like the industry trickles out scopes to targeted areas to create a positive overview, hoping that that " First impression" will set the stage for everyone to follow. Marketing (Manipulation) 101. Now, is this better or = to a pst gen 2, LRHS, etc? If so that's a win in my book. If its not. I'll go take a nap under my rock and wait another 3-5 years for something great to come along.

PS, the only reason all these scope makers have jumped into this arena lately is because of being able to make a profit. There must be one hell of profit margin on 500+ scopes, seeing that there are now about 10-20 companies making erily similar offerings in the same price range... ok Back under the rock.

Bart is not a sales rep for us in any way and we do not pay him a cent to sell anything, nor does he work for Nikon. I'm the Manager for the Sport Optics division for Nikon but not a sales rep, I just believe in the scope and proved it's capabilities by personally running it in a match by beating 102 guys with scopes costing many many times more. No this is not a $3k scope, I was just trying to put every "needed" match feature in a scope with good glass at a reasonable price point. Not intended as a sales pitch by any means.

I'm going to end with that, I hope some of you get to see it in person and any of you need anything from me personally don't hesitate to ask.

Jeremy, I was actually being serious (while throwing in a bit of humor) when I said I would be happy to conduct an unbiased and unaffiliated 3rd party review of the scope, and post my results here. If not, that's cool, just thought I'd throw that out there for this scope and any future or prototype optics.

I would like to see it be amazing. I'm just saying, across all venues, i've heard alot about the scope and what it should be, but no real comparisons. Seems like the industry trickles out scopes to targeted areas to create a positive overview, hoping that that " First impression" will set the stage for everyone to follow. Marketing (Manipulation) 101. Now, is this better or = to a pst gen 2, LRHS, etc? If so that's a win in my book. If its not. I'll go take a nap under my rock and wait another 3-5 years for something great to come along.

PS, the only reason all these scope makers have jumped into this arena lately is because of being able to make a profit. There must be one hell of profit margin on 500+ scopes, seeing that there are now about 10-20 companies making erily similar offerings in the same price range... ok Back under the rock.
When ever they throw the sales pitch, Japanese glass and specs, but it's made in the Philippines or China. That's when I know I'll never buy it.
I can't believe people fall for that crap.

When ever they throw the sales pitch, Japanese glass and specs, but it's made in the Philippines or China. That's when I know I'll never buy it.
I can't believe people fall for that crap.
The Vortex Viper series (HS, HS-T, PST) are all made in the Philippines, and they're very good quality scopes for the money. Believe it or not, there are much worse locations for manufacturing...Like China, Taiwan, and Vietnam...And unless you're buying a Fender guitar or tequila, I'd steer-clear of "hecho en Mexico" as well. Philippines manufacturing is pretty up to date, compared to most other asian countries (other than Japan, of course). :cool:

The Vortex Viper series (HS, HS-T, PST) are all made in the Philippines, and they're very good quality scopes for the money. Believe it or not, there are much worse locations for manufacturing...Like China, Taiwan, and Vietnam...And unless you're buying a Fender guitar or tequila, I'd steer-clear of "hecho en Mexico" as well. Philippines manufacturing is pretty up to date, compared to most other asian countries (other than Japan, of course). :cool:
I agree, but to say Japan parts, but assembled in the Philippines makes it a Philippino scope.
And I don't believe Japan would give their best, knowing another factory is going to make it. Why would they?
I have several Philippine made scopes. They are good scopes, I'm not knocking them, but a few companies keep saying, they are Japan Spec'd, it's a sale pitch that's misleading.

Last edited:
I agree, but to say Japan parts, but assembled in the Philippines makes it a Philippino scope.
And I don't believe Japan would give their best, knowing another factory is going to make it. Why would they?
I have several Philippine made scopes. They are good scopes, I'm not knocking them, but a few companies keep saying, they are Japan Spec'd, it's a sale pitch that's misleading.

Not stirring the pot here, never had any issues with nikons, or vortex, nightforces, etc...but aren't nightforces Japanese scope components that are assembled in America? I see a lot of nightforces advertising and written all over their box with made in America. Athlon does something similar but way less subtle. They have an "American Made Compaany" written all over their box. Only reason I say that is because aren't all scope companies guilty of this? Again, this isn't adversarial, just discussion. I know it's hard to read tone on forum threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not stirring the pot here, never had any issues with nikons, or vortex, nightforces, etc...but aren't nightforces Japanese scope components that are assembled in America? I see a lot of nightforces advertising and written all over their box with made in America. Athlon does something similar but way less subtle. Only reason I say that is because I think all companies are guilty of it. They have on their boxes "An American Company." Again this isn't adversarial, just discussion. I know it's hard to read tone on forum threads.
They are, the components part isn't my issue. It's telling me they sat down with Japan to spec the scope. Then took it across the pond to be made at their competitors. A lot companies get parts across the pacific rim.
But Japan would be cutting it's own throat, basically training someone else to take over their job. I don't see them being forthcoming with their best secrets and technology.
And the quality reflects that. Another company claimed the same thing, and when compared to Japanese optics to the one claimed to be Japanese parts but assembled elsewhere, they don't hold up to that claim. You can clearly tell a difference.

I don't really want to get into a debate, with friends over this scope or any other.
I'm just tired of misleading "facts". It's running rampant thru every aspect of my life. And I have no right to single out scope companies. I just want honest reviews and facts.
I'll give credit where credit is due, but I will quickly criticize when I see BS.
Hopefully this scope is everything they say, but just know, it's a 800$ optic, nothing more..

Hopefully this scope is everything they say, but just know, it's a 800$ optic, nothing more..

For me, the number of rifles I have, and my budget, $800 provides a lot of value. It definitely makes you competitive. I agree though you just can't cram all the features that a lot of the $2k scopes offer. It's just simple business economics at that point.

I'm curious how this compares to the Burris XTRs.

We should keep in mind, some production class competitions, there's a price cap. These sub 1000$ optics are a great way to keep guys within those parameters. I agree, about the 800$ being budget friendly for guys like me. Non of my scopes cost more than 1100$.
Most fall in the 800$-1000$ range. I would like to see how they compare to the XTR 2s and the PST gen 2.
One thing I noticed, is the turrets looks very similar to the Burris and the PST gen 2. And all three are Philippine made scopes. I'm not sure if it's coincidence or same factory.
I do know Burris owns the factory where the XTR is made. But that doesn't mean they wouldn't make other companies scopes. Most pacific rim scopes all come from the same factories, but are branded different companies names.
Just like when you buy a new garden tractor. All the same, different name.

Last edited:
We've had 2hst's and now on the 3rd pst go back to be fixed. All on the same 28" 300 win mag shooting 208's @ 2880fps. The brake looks like the Armorlite but scaled down some. We've also had 4 others on rifles with better brakes in 28 nosler 300rum and 2 338's One is a 110 BA savage in 338 Lapua. the other painstick is an 8#338/375 ruger. I shot it without the brake 1 time and the trigger guard torn off half of my trigger side middle fingernail!
If your looking at any sub $1000 scope make sure it is rated for braked .50 cal or 338 performance. Otherwise you will get to talk to the wonderful service department ladies and wait 2-7weeks for your scope to be fixed.
As in Tommy boy. I can go **** in a box and mark it guaranteed. At the end of the day all you have is a box of **** that they will replace with more ****

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.