New Load Grouped Great; Not So Great Today

Just curious of how many shots your load development was based on? I've had some really good 5 shot groups during load development and never was able to duplicate them again. Must have just been lucky or a fluke. It's like shooting 3 times over a chronograph, statistically it doesn't mean much.
As far as your groups moving, there is a mechanical problem there somewhere.

All of the above, and make sure there is space tween bbl and stock....also, was the ammo sitting in the sun, get hot? MOST importantly, don't beat yourself up cause of a bad grouping....you will figure it out, and then you can pass along the info for when it happens to us , AGAIN. rsbhunter

Just curious of how many shots your load development was based on? I've had some really good 5 shot groups during load development and never was able to duplicate them again. Must have just been lucky or a fluke. It's like shooting 3 times over a chronograph, statistically it doesn't mean much.
As far as your groups moving, there is a mechanical problem there somewhere.
The rifle that taught me more about reloading than any I've ver loaded for was my custom 6.5-06 . I would have a load that would shoot a raged hole , then I would go back too the range and the group would open up , nothing like the previous group . I changed seating depth , powder charges , bullets , turn necks , types of brass 270 necked down 25-06 necked up 30-06 necked down . I never could get a consistent load . I finally pulled the barrel made it a 6.5-284 and now my load is easily verified and consistent. I hope you figure it out , bottom line it will educate you by the time you get it shooting consistently with a given load , that's the fun part. That's another reason I use Hammer bullets that's one variable I can weed out if I'm having trouble with a load it's not going too be the bullet , had too throw that in .

The rifle that taught me more about reloading than any I've ver loaded for was my custom 6.5-06 . I would have a load that would shoot a raged hole , then I would go back too the range and the group would open up , nothing like the previous group . I changed seating depth , powder charges , bullets , turn necks , types of brass 270 necked down 25-06 necked up 30-06 necked down . I never could get a consistent load . I finally pulled the barrel made it a 6.5-284 and now my load is easily verified and consistent. I hope you figure it out , bottom line it will educate you by the time you get it shooting consistently with a given load , that's the fun part. That's another reason I use Hammer bullets that's one variable I can weed out if I'm having trouble with a load it's not going too be the bullet , had too throw that in .
That's true. Boddington said only accurate rifles are interesting but it's the inaccurate ones that give you an education!

I shot 4 shots into a ragged hole during my OCW test. Shot 15 rounds yesterday and was getting some flyers. My gut says barrel getting hot. Scope is a Zeiss Conquest V4. I checked everything last night and it was tight.

My load was jammed 0.015 into lands. I backed it out to be 0.005 off the lands and will try tomorrow.

About 60 rounds on bore.

Have had several rifles that shot quite well if every shot is cold bore. The stress from heating can effect a number of things. Have also had rifles that shot a ladder into a tighter group than multiple shots of one load. That is very frustrating. Makes you think you would do better if you didn't measure the powder!

Ok, reread the original post. This rifle is either a long range target rifle, or a hunting rifle? Only reason this is a question to me is, @.015 jam, do you hunt with those loads? Some people do, but when I read that, I figured you might be a bench or f class guy who knows more than alot of us on the forum. Either way, please let us know what the end fix is...rsbhunter

Ok, reread the original post. This rifle is either a long range target rifle, or a hunting rifle? Only reason this is a question to me is, @.015 jam, do you hunt with those loads? Some people do, but when I read that, I figured you might be a bench or f class guy who knows more than alot of us on the forum. Either way, please let us know what the end fix is...rsbhunter

Turned out a poor measurement from Hornady OAL gauge that resulted in 0.015 jam. Thankfully I started on low powder charge and worked up.

I agree. Sounds like something loose or scope going gunny bags. I have burnt more powder than I want to know, chasing something loose in the rifle system, thinking it was a load issue.
Oh good not just me then 🤣

Also action screws/pillar screws whatever you wanna call them. Had them loose considerable tension on my 270 and got so frustrated I could scream back in my college days, literally hopping mad! Figured it out. Groups tightened right back up.

Oh good not just me then 🤣

Also action screws/pillar screws whatever you wanna call them. Had them loose considerable tension on my 270 and got so frustrated I could scream back in my college days, literally hopping mad! Figured it out. Groups tightened right back up.
Most recently was a pic rail that would come loose after about 4-5 shots. Even after loctite. I am about over pic rails that are not integral to the action.

I found a load for my 7STW Berger VLDH 180 H1000 that shot a .296" group at 100 yards during load development. I loaded up 25 rounds and today the groupings weren't as tight. It was hot and I was struggling to get the barrel cool with cold wet towels.

Anyone have a good load and some days they don't group? I'm thinking it was the heat and maybe I was off. Dunno
The day it shot good. How many rounds was the good group?

Had a 7mag that would shoot bug holes at 100 yards....one trip at the range, honestly hitting at about 75 yards in the dirt, next 2 ft right on the berm...????? Was ready to wrap it around support beam, walked by the barrel and literally slapped it...heard a strange huummm noise....freaking recoil reducer was loose!!!! Tightened it up, went back to bugholes...almost a REAL expensive lesson. (Note to self, keep temper in check)....loctight after that...rsbhunter