Great day today

God love you, brother. We all need stories of blessing and the encouragement to make our own stories like that. Awhile back I had purposed to intentionally do something to make at least one person's day each day for awhile. Simple things like helping my wife, paying for an officers coffee, helping a feeble person carry/load groceries...opportunities are endless. Some of the most rewarding days of my life. Not sure where that stopped. 🤔 Time to get back on the program. Amazing what it does to our own mental state.

So, for a little background: my in laws moved from MT to TX about 18 months ago to be closer to family - all their kids and grandkids live here. The property they purchased has an open area that allowed me and my son to build a shooting range where we can shoot from 50 yards to 1000 yards, all from the same bench. We welded a metal frame and poured a concrete top bench and covered it so we could shoot all year long. Near the end of July 2020, just as we were about to finish it, my FIL was diagnosed with stage 4 Pancreatic cancer, a week before his 78th birthday. He had to have a port placed to receive chemo, and tho he asked them to put it on the left side so he could continue to shoot, when he woke up from anesthesia, they had put it on the right upper pectoral region close enough to his shoulder that he thought he might not ever be able to shoot anything more than a 22. I don't think any of the doctors expected him to make 6 months, but on August 1st of this year, we celebrated his 79th birthday. He never had the chance to shoot long range before he was diagnosed and then, because of how things went down, he thought he might never get the chance. Today, he was feeling good enough to go shoot and when I asked him if he wanted to try shooting the 6.5 at long range, he said "sure, why not?" After making sure he was still zeroed at 100, we dialed up and he hit steel with his first shot at 500, the farthest he had ever shot. We then dialed it up for 1000, and after a miss due to my bad wind call, he was able to connect twice in a row! Although we have initiated 14 other family and friends into the thousand yard club at this range, today was by far the sweetest one ever - a 79 year old lifelong hunter and shooter that had never shot much past 300 yards, and who had all but written off the thought that he ever would.
Sorry to run off at the mouth so badly, but I wanted to share this special moment with someone, and not many would understand my excitement as well as the shooters and good folks on this site.
Such a cool story! Kudos to him and you and thanks for sharing it!

Great job on helping creat a memory not only for him but yourself. I wish i was able to do something along that line for my brother. He was 49 went to the Hospital 911 due to extreme pain and was diagnosed with stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer. He said i want to make it to 50. He did then passed away. He was way to sick to do much but just be there with him.

I am so glad you got that opportunity with your FIL. You wont forget that.

Great job