New Life Shot Out Barrel

HammerBullets

Ron Spomer sent this to us from one of his listeners.

"I was listening to one of your podcasts this morning and heard you mention Hammer Bullets. Last year I did some testing with the Hammer bullets in a rifle of mine that I believed to be "shot out". Using standard cup and core bullets I never could get it to shoot well enough to be satisfied and pretty much gave up on it. After checking the distance to lands I found that no matter what bullet I was loading it had to jump over .250" to get to the lands. After calling Hammer and talking with them, they claimed that their bullets are not jump sensitive. So I ordered in a box and loaded them up. I found that it did not matter what powder I used or what charge weight I used. They all shot under 1MOA. I'm very satisfied with their product and how it breathed new life into a rifle I figured I'd never be able to enjoy shooting again."

I've been loading hammer bullets. Love how easy they are to tune and especially like the velocity i get. People look at me like I'm speaking swahili when i tell the how easy they are to shoot...but dead elk and deer seal the deal. As ButterBean says.. .speed kills....hes almot a prophet. Lol

😅 No offense and Butterbean is a wealth of knowledge, but I think Ole Roy said "Speed kills" at least a decade or more before butterbean or I were sitting on our momma's laps for the first time. Course I quote Twain all the time. Sad that this one is from about 130yrs ago - "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a congressman, oh, but I repeat myself" So it seems congress has sucked for at least 130-150 yrs. That's probably when they started voting themselves raises and benefits that could not be taken away. The criminals.

Gday
Good to see someone else had a shot out barrel & then with just a simple switch of a projectile could get it back on track
Congratulations & may the memories continue for many years to come

It's very rewarding when you've shot that rifle for years & can continue doing what you thought was gone

the memorable moments are just not the same with a new barrel

Well for some of us sentimental sods

Cheers

Gday buckbrush
Would this indicate that the barrel wasn't actually shot out?
I'd have to partially agree with that & for the accubond , barnes , raptors & hornady I used In that rifle ( thousands down that tube ) I could no longer get respectable groups & im not a bug hole shooter so 3 in @ 100 yard is where I drew the line @ &2 in prior to that then just used the 2/3 rds of vital size to work out what was my maximum range
Yes it got considerably shorter over the years to a point where I have a new barrel but not installed @ this stage as no use as it groups better than I can shoot in the field so why wear a new barrel out 🤷‍♂️just how I look @ things

The hammers have bought this to well under a Moa rifle which for me these days is going to get me in to around a 1/4 , 1/3 of total vital size for the max range of most game I persue when hunting

Then again I may have a different interpretation of shot out to you 🤷‍♂️
Which is cool

If we have a different interpretation could you please explain yours

Cheers