300 Ultra Mag Barrel Life?

I have not found a solvent that will take the ring out, only abrasives. As to not getting it to form at all I think more frequent cleaning and/or soaking with a solvent in the throat area. Possibly just a patch in the throat to soak in when you finish shooting to "soften" it up ?? Guys use everything from Marvel Mystery Oil to Seafoam to Techron, etc. Some of my guns get a ring and some don't but for me Isso bore paste gets it out.

edit; The Lyman borescope brings the cost way down from what a Hawkeye costs and the are pretty good, can take picures and blow them up on the computer.

First of all, I found that Reloader 25 is the go to powder that the 300 RUM was designed upon...
Reloader 50 was designed for the 50 Cal. Rifles..

Over 800 rounds through my Sendero, Stainless at 3300 fps, and still shooting half to 3/4 inch groups..

The bullet of choice for hunting is the 180 g Swift Scirocco Bonded bullet...

This bullet was recommended by Remington for the RUM and was designed around a speed of 3300 fps....
It is now loaded in the Remington factory ammo......

They started with Partitions and progressed to the Scirocco Bonded due to the greater speed and terminal velocity..

I don't aggressively clean the barrel, just run a patch through after 50-100 rounds..

Reloader 25 is a clean burning powder and from my experience with Bergers, I could never get them to shoot accurately...

For paper punching, I found the Hornady 178 Match to be the go to bullet, similar to the characteristics of the Scirocco Bonded 180ès..

Hope that my findings help you out..

I got my RUM's for the "blow your doors off performance", knowing there is a barrel life trade off. One of them shoots the Berger 210 at 3311fps the other runs 230's at 2980fps at mag length. If I wanted less performance I would get something with more available and cheaper brass. Why have a Ferrari and use it for commuting ? I'd get a Prius for that(actually I would never own a Prius). I have no expectations of making it to 1,000 rounds with a RUM but if it does, great. I already know I'm going to get a little bit longer, faster twist barrel. Just a matter of time.
Newfoundlander, what cleaner do you use ? I feel like I'm spending too much time with my cleaning regimen.

Wedgy, I do not use any harsh chemical cleaners in my rifles..

I use a patch with CLP for a few rubs through and then follow with clean patches to remove that stuff..

I read once that copper deposits in a barrel is helpful, it is like grading a dirt road , it smooths out the ( potholes ) cracks in the metal of the lands / groves..

Why remove that when it makes for a smother ride of the bullet..

When I didn't know the difference 40 years ago, I cleaned continuously and didn't realize why I was getting shotgun patterns with my groups...

Also I was using factory ammo and that didn't help things either with accuracy..

I now know that it is more important to keep a cooler barrel while shooting than worry about how clean the barrel is..

I do run a couple cold shots through when I change from bullet type to bullet type brands on the same day of shooting..

Each brand name has different nodes and I like to trow a couple through to get the barrel accustomed to that brand of bullet..

Just my 2¢ worth from my experiences..

May not be the right thing to do, but I do it..

Thanks for asking, hope that it is helpful..

The bullet of choice for hunting is the 180 g Swift Scirocco Bonded bullet...

This bullet was recommended by Remington for the RUM and was designed around a speed of 3300 fps....
It is now loaded in the Remington factory ammo.....

Don't know what you mean by "it is now loaded", but Remington has loaded the Scirocco since 1999 or 2000. mtmuley

I probably shoot 60 - 80 rounds a year through my factory 300 RUM and shot a lot more than that when I first got it back in 2000. Its still shooting 3/4" groups at a 100 yards. Several years ago I cleaned it really well and shot 4 or 5 Tubbs finishing bullets through it. I shot a 1/2" group at 200 yds right after that. Can't say Tubbs was the reason, but they certainly didn't hurt my groups.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.