New Leupold vs. Burris

I'm glad to see that someone eles likes Burris, I have a Lupy which is just fine but decided to try a Burris (to my shooting partners disagreement) to find out if it is as good as everyone says. I hope it is.

ceejack2, No need to worry, it'll be better, I got a buddy just like your buddys, compared mine to his, like I said no need to worry. Consider them SMOKED. Which model did you get?
wink.gif
Jay

If Burris is that good, then Leupold would have been out of business already? Let's not forget Leupold dominates many fields including the competition and military. Stop congradulating yourselves just because you liked Burris. It's just a subjective preference. Let's see what the public votes with their dollars.
rolleyes.gif

Quickad,

15 Years ago, there was no other choice. Keep in mind, there was no more Unertil. And they didn't go out of business because of the product being subpar. It was marketing, timing, price structure. Leupold makes a nice scope. Not my favorite, but certainly someones. They do win a lot in competition, but they should, everyone has one. I think the quesiton that began this thread was of peoples opinions on Burris vs Leupold. People answer, and you seem offended. Noone is congratulating themselves, simply voicing and opinion that isn't heard much.

Quick, I own 3.5-10-40VariXIII myself, I'm not putting Leupold down, just saying that when ceejack gets a chance to compare his new Burris with his buddies they're going to notice the burris is going to be brighter etc. As far as the competition scene, Leupold should dominate, they have scopes that are marketed for target shooting so thats what people use them for, look at the Burris HBR, it dominates HBR competition in part I suppose cuz thats how Burris marketed the scope. LEUPOLD makes a scope for just about any occasion, but look at how long they've been around, there's alot of people that never heard of Burris, if Burris made a tactical scope you can bet the farm it would be as good if not better than it's Leupold counterpart, and cheaper in price, too. I just think Leupold should lower their prices to be commensurate with they're optical quality, which isn't bad, but from what I'm seeing on this forum it should be better.
wink.gif
Jay

I am not offended. I own both Burris & Leupolds. My Burris are top-of-the-line Black Diamonds. I am only trying to say that the thread started with Burris being "Brighter" than Leupold therefore this parameter alone makes the Burris Superior. I cannot accept that. There are many other factors to consider, even weight, for example. My Black Diamonds are so heavy and big, my son thought it was a 3-D cell flashlight when he first saw the scope. So let's discuss what the scopes are being used for and than put the appropriate apples-to-apples comparison.
grin.gif

Quick, Actually the 6-24 BD and the 8.5-25m1 are only .2 oz. difference, but the Burris is almost 2" longer. The Leupold has more elevation which would make it more convenient for long range, but that can be remedied by Signature rings on the Burris, Burris puts bigger lenses on the inside for better light transmission, I've heard of both Leupold and Burris not tracking 100% at times, so I call it a horse apiece.
grin.gif
Jay

I've got/had a Burris or two. At one point I nearly pitched them all because of QC issues. But, forgive and forget. Shortly after getting my .308 TAC rifle in 2001 I had a fixed Weaver T-32 on it for load development. That worked good but I wanted a varable and had the $$ and had always wanted a Burris BD so... . Last month the rifle shot its all time best 5-shot 100 yard group with the Burris using BIB 134 bullets - .147". Now, would I take this set up into a war zone. Heck no, the BD is a BIG hunk of glass and steel. One would have to go with something more fitting. Choose what's best for the application at hand.

I have three Leupold's and two Burris scopes. I agree that the Burris is brighter and clearer. I chose the Burris due to the strenght, put it on a 416 rem mag. The parts are much stronger and the glass is thicker. Your get more weight with it too, that can be an issue.

There is alot more history on the Leupold with the target shooters. So you have preference there, and maybe some market share that Burris hasn't done alot of yet.

I have seen the Leupolds mounted on the 50calibers and they don't seem to have a problem, so go figure.
confused.gif

I want to get back to the apples to apples comarison. Leupold makes a broad range of scopes and so does Burris. So if we are compariosn Black diamonds with Leupold VXIII Long Range series, then it's a fair comparison. Otherwise, the statement of Burris is brighter is kind of misleading. Of course my Black Diamond is brighter than my VX1 scopes.
rolleyes.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.