burris balistic-plex vs Leupold Varmint Recticle

ker2222

Which of these reticles is better in the opinion of the esteemed member here?? Which is easier to use in the field?? Targets will be primarily prairie dogs at 300-500 yards??

Thanks

No camparison, leupold holds a better zero as you go thru magnification, has easier ranging capabilities.

Miester How do you know this to be true? Saying a leupold tracks better that a burris? Do you think for a walking varminter a Leupold 4.5x14.5x50mm is better than a Burris Black Diamond 4x16x50? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have both reticles on several firearms, and i must say that i prefer the Leupold only because if u reference windage with a reticle then it's nice to have almost all of your reference along the same plane as holdover-- BUT don't trust the factory system for windage reference (my Savage Striker .243 WSSM is close to 1/2 the factory 10/20 mph reference stadia). I apply the same system as that used by the mil-dot guys, and reference it as a part of a "stadia unit" in tenths of each units MOA value. I also use the lower post as a holdover reference @ 2.33 MOA below the last holdover stadia. Either reticle can easily be adapted for rangefinding similar to the TDS system. Some guys think the reticle's can become too "busy", but if i'm going long-range accurately for 1st shot connections i'll take busy anyday.

If i were getting a reticle for small tgt. shooting to long-range i'd opt for the Burris Ball. Mil-Dot or (slightly) better yet the Leupold TMR-- whoooeee, i likes that reticle-- tho again neither has any real windage system along the same plane as holdover.

I have a 4.5-14x40 Leupold with VH reticle that I am just wringing out this summer. So far, I think I will be sending the scope off this winter for M1 target knobs and a different reticle. My other rifle has a .25 MOA dot. I really like the dot for little groups and little critters.

Rick

[ QUOTE ]
What about premiere's gen 2 XR?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whooahhh-- sign me up, i'll take some. I didn't see cost on that reticle-- anybody know what it is??

Its about $200 in a new scope purchased from Premier, $240 retro-fitted. Its one of the options I am thinking about changing to. On the other hand, Horus will put one of theirs in a 6.5-20 Leupold for a mere $500.

Rick

I had the Leupold Varmint reticle retrofitted into an older 6.5x20. Cost was $149 + S&H. I mounted the scope on a custom 7STW rifle.

I sighted the 160gr Accubond load to be dead on @ 200yds and then moved over to the 500yd range. I fired 3 rounds at 500yds and was hoping that they were somewhere on the small target. A quick trip down range revealed a 3" group that was a mere 1" high of point of aim with the 500yd crosshair. I'm impressed.

Naturally, the 10mph & 20mph windage dots are highly dependant on bullet velocity and BC. I called Leupold and gave them my exact velocity and reported BC for the Accubond and they told me that the dots will represent 18mph & 36mph with my load.

So far I like the new reticle. It will be going to Wyoming in a couple of months. We'll see how it works afield.

I didn't realize Horus would put 1 into a Leupold-- nice to know-- thks. My VH reticle is in a 4.5-14X VX III LR with target elevation turret, and it works well on my Savage Striker243 WSSM. The Speer 100 BTSP @ 2850 190 yd. zero gave the following trajectory/10 mph windage --
1st stadia = 280--- w= .5 1st stadia
1.5 = 325--- .7 1st stadia
2 = 365--- .5 2nd stadia
2.5 = 430--- .6 2nd stadia
3 = 475--- .5 3rd stadia
3.5 = 510--- .6 3rd stadia
4 = 550--- .6 3rd stadia

comeups with lower post (550 yds.) as a zero beyond that with 3rd windage stadia as a 10 mph reference. Even to 1000 yds. the windage reference didn't exceed 1.5 of "10 mph" 3rd stadia.

[ QUOTE ]
Which of these reticles is better in the opinion of the esteemed member here?? Which is easier to use in the field?? Targets will be primarily prairie dogs at 300-500 yards??

I have to agree with some of the other posts. The VH reticle is really tough to beat. I have used a buddy's a couple of times for some target stuff and love it. Thinking about getting one myself. I found a good deal (I think)
on a 4.5-15x50
HERE

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never used the Burris, but I have been playing with the VHR lately. So far, I like it:

Scope2.JPG

Unfortunately when I thought to take a pic the mirages were pretty bad so that's the best I got. The target is at 205 yds and the scope is cranked down to about 8X or so.

I don't know about P-dogs, but I've found it pretty easy to match a couple different loads to each line on a "round number" when you consider +/- 1" or so is nothing to worry about for deer or elk. I also have had fun "holding into the wind" instead of clicking. Of course the marks won't be a perfect 10 for heavy high BC bullets (around 20-22 MPH depending upon the load) but the point is for a given load they're consistant. With a little practice one can do pretty well.

Ultimately I don't think they're going to be as precise as clicking, especially at really long ranges. But I think they will work quite well for bigger targets out to 5-600 yds or so.

I just had the Leupold TMR reticule fitted to my VXIII 4.5-14-50 ane I find it great so far.

It is their generation 2 mildot with hash marks rather than mildots and goes to one mildot icrements.

I'd have a look at that to. I was thinking of getting a nightforce to go with a new rifle but the combination of the wirht and the fact a I really like this reticule is makeing me think again

Hey Jon-- i was thinking of putting a new reticle in my 4.5-14X on my Striker. Until recently the TMR was my favorite too with the .5 mil reference stadia, then i saw the latest Premier reticle somebody posted here or Snipershide-- i can't remember which-- i'll have to look it up-- looks like a miniature Horus-- down to about 10 mil or so below the horizontal axis-- i think. Man that's an impressive system-- i do like ballistic reticles with windage along the same plane as elevation. A lot of guys think they're "too busy", but when i need fast ACCURACY downrange-- i'll take busy (when i can afford it, that is) if it helps me hit what i'm attempting to aim at. My order of favorite reticles would be that Premier, then TMR, then Burris Ball. Mil-dot, i think.

OK here it is-- http://www.premierreticles.com/index.php?uid=5465&page=5674&main=1

240 bucks or so to install tho.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.