New Leupold vs. Burris

Now that truely is a horse of a different color!
grin.gif

I forgot all about this thread... I was looking at both choices for my centerfire rifle scope and decided not to buy either one.

For the money I didn't want to send it back for anything so I chose a foreign made scope, IOR Valdada. 6-24x50, side focus, Mag-lock, and really close to the prices of the above manufacturers similar products. In the long run I will see if I made the right choice.

quickad
Forwhat its worth I have never used any thing but LEUPOLD SCOPES because why fix something that ain't broke I have got a fix 4 power scope that I have had for 15 or 16 years and to this day is just as clear as it was when I bought it. I now have 2/ 4.5x14x40 and 1/4.5x14x50 LEUPOLD,and fixing to buy a 8.5x25x50 LEUPOLD. But now there again I don't let people run over my equipment either, scopes are made to look thru!! not drive on!!
grin.gif
wink.gif
cool.gif

for what its worth!!LEUPOLD MAN (PEACE out)

as a add on here!
the only wat that you will know who is the best, is to give it 15 to 16 years and see if burr butts are still around.there is more to scopes than brightness untill then lets just stick with the reliability,leadership,experience that LEUPOLD has earned over the years. But remember I know nothing of the burr butts so if some of you guys can call me in 15 or 16 years to let me know how the burr butts are doing, that would be great.But remember just the facts men just the facts. And they are printed above.

LEUPOLDMAN (PEACEOUT)
grin.gif
wink.gif
cool.gif

I know that Leupold is great-- I own their LR 30mm scopes in 4.5, 6.5, and 8.5. I have recently bought a Zeiss conquest in 3.5-10 by 44mm. This scope is so clear (1"tube BTW) compared to my Leupolds that it's unbelievable. The only flaw that I see with the Zeiss is long term reliability--it doesn't have the track record of the Leupolds. Time will tell for me...

Like I said, it's just a subjective preference since there is no standard in measuring a scope for us users anyway. I don't see reviewers using optical equipment. But my preference is Leupold. I just recently sold my 8-32 & 6-24 Black Diamonds and got a Mark 4 M3 and a LR 6.5-20. Couldn't be happier. Again, putting my $ where my mouth is.
grin.gif

Quickad, It's your old sparring partner, I've got an apples to apples comparison for ya, I probably mentioned this earlier in the thread, but here goes, Was out shooting my 6mm with the 6-24x-44mm Sig. set on 20x with the light collector turned down all the way(Bright sunny day with snow), my leupold buddy came out to show me his new Jewell trigger, he said take a shot with that 6.5-20x-50mmVari-Xlll on 20x also, I had just got through shooting my 6mm and switched over to his rifle/scope and noticed it was darker looking through his, now if that isn't an 'a' to 'a' comparison I don't know what is. Well, I guess it's not, the Leupold costs $180 more, sorry. I'll tell you something though, I took the Vari-Xlll 3.5-10x-40mm that was on my Anschutz and put it on my Rem. S/S 708,(Antelope rifle) and can't think of a better combo for that rifle since it has low rings on it, I wish I had target turrets on it though, 93 bucks to have Leupold put em' on. Sodbuster, "There's more than to scopes than brightness", you mean like repeatability, reliability, toughness, and customer service that Burris will match Leupold in every respect, you sound like my narrowminded leupold buddy, you have no idea what a Burris scopes is, and what and how they test their scopes, like taking the scope like a hammer and pound it as hard as they can on a hard rubber mat on all four sides and see if it loses it's zero, you probably think Leupold tests 'all' their scopes, wrong, just a percentage, and the test scopes aren't sold to the public. That 8.5-24.2 LRT that your fixing to buy has the same lens as the Vari-xllls, so expect a less than bright sight picture, but it costs more, and look at all the Benchresters that use em' so it must be better. I almost forgot, BURRIS does dominate HBR competition, why is that?, cause Leupold has more experience etc. etc. Burris&Leupold man. Solid.
wink.gif
Jay

Jay
what are the power ranges of the burris scopes. if they make a 8.5 to 25 or some where around that, but nothing lower, I may give them a try. I just never really thought about using any thing else because I have used zeiss and nikon and other cheaper scopes. The zeiss scope had to big of a eye piece and the nikon just would not track right after several differnt scopes and of course the other cheaper scopes was just that CHEAP maybe I am narrow minded but I know what works evertime or has worked every time for me and very reliable but would try one if they make what I'm looking for so let me know

Sodbuster, I'm sorry if I gave ya the business a little before, I'm just trying to educate some of the folks out there that really don't know anything about Burris scopes, my Buddy being one of them, he's so tied up in fact that if Tubb and Speedy use a Leupold, they're the best, and you can't tell him otherwise because he don't like it when you tell him he's wrong, he really has no idea what goes on inside a scope and what to look for in a good scope. He told me last year that If I shoot as good as him with that Burris that he'd be mad because he spent more for his Leupold, well low and behold he shot a 5/16" group, I shot a .217" group,(243Win. vs. 6mmRem.) that to this day he will not come to grips with. Burris makes a whole bunch of different powers, I have a 1.5-6x Signature model on my 308, and they make everything in between, 2-8x, 3-9x, 3-12x, 8-32x, you name it they got it, I also have 2 4-16xSigs. 2 6-24x Sigs, 4-12x compact w/Balistic plex, that is the cats *** for a rimfire, let me tell ya. Which could double as a Mountain rifle scope or for a rifle with heavy recoil, 5" of eye relief. They also use more recoil to test their scopes, 416 Rigby vs. 375 H&H for Leupold. As far as tracking and repeatabilty Burris scopes track just as well as any other highend scope out there, and If you have a problem with that or any aspect of the scope, just send it back to Burris and It will be taken care of, Great CS, never had to use it myself, one of the reasons I started buying Burris some 11 years ago was I had heard they have a good reputation for holding up to alot of recoil, and that the lens they use in their Signature models will stand shoulder to shoulder with the Europeon scopes, so I thought what have I got to lose, American made, Lifetime warranty, great optics, and cheaper than Leupold, so I quit buying Luppies but still have respect for them, I may buy another If I have a sniper rifle built, Burris don't make Tactical scopes, although a 4-16x Black Diamond w/Bal-mildot would do the trick. Rick, If you want to check out their scopes, go to Burrisoptics.com, maybe order a catalog and then maybe you'll see why I make a fuss over them, Best scope for the money, bar none. Burris# 1-888-228-7747
wink.gif
Jay.

Recently I read a review in GUNTESTS and found they actually use a photo meter to test brightness. Now this is more accurate and objective than looking through scopes with human eyes. And it clarifies the myth that Burris is brighter. Let's not forget Burris is bigger and heavier too. Here is how they test for brightness:

"Brightness. We put the scopes in a darkened room 20 feet away from a pure-white frosted, backlit screen to minimize hotspots. We aimed a 55-mm Nikkor micro (close focusing) lens attached to a Nikon 8008S camera (with the light meter set on center weighted) through each scope and focused it on the crosshair and centered the crosshair in the viewfinder. We then set the camera's light meter at 1/8 second and began stopping the lens down until we reached what the camera indicated was a properly exposed setting.

Our testers thought the Leupold's brightness was on par with the Burris and Bausch & Lomb scopes, and was slightly better than the Redfield in our test group. It is crisp edge to edge, and shooters could easily read 1-inch type at 50 yards on the 12X setting. The recoil test showed no apparent changes in the scope's tracking. Parallax was not a problem."
grin.gif

[ 05-17-2003: Message edited by: thequickad ]

Oh yes you can. I find Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 for $224.95 and V16MDX 4-16x42 for $234.95. I can buy Leupold VX1 4-412x40 for $215.10. Plus Leupold holds its resale value better.
grin.gif

The VX1 will never track with a Weaver GS nor will the optics run with it.

You'll have to stay with the upper end Leupolds to compete with the GS.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.