New Leupold vs. Burris

Just like to say I'm also a Leupold man. Nothing sits atop my rifles, my dads rifles, or uncles rifle other than a Leupold. I personally have 3 of the old vx2,3-9x40, the older vx2, 6-18x40, a new vx2,6-18x40 target, an older vx3, 2.5-8x36, and a newer vx3, 3.5-10x40. That would make it 7 Leupolds and ZERO of anything else. Not to mention all the Leupolds my dad and uncle have which is over 25. They are just the best scopes period. Plain and simple. I highly doubt Burris is better than Leupold. Why else does everyone use Leupold, including most of the competition shooters, and all the other pro or tactical shooters use Leupold. There has to be a reason. Although, this is only my opinion coming from a 17 year old.

25-06, You got 7 Lupys, I got 7 Burris's and 1 Lupy scope, no doubt both excellent scopes, with great CS, and both have had instances of breaking and quality control issues, I think I heard em' all in the last few months from both companies. And If you read the WHOLE thread, you'd have noticed some of the replies on why Leupold dominates BR shooting, and Burris dominates HUNTER BR competition, when a company markets their scopes for a certain type of shooting, shooters tend to try/buy their products for that type of shooting, Leupold is the MAIN scope company that makes BR scopes, Burris makes the HBRll, and they market the scope for that type of competition, Hunter Benchrest, thats maybe a good reason why so many people use the scope, is it better than a Nikon or Leupold in the same power, probably not, but since the Burris was on the rifle that won the Hunter BR nationals, the Burris gets all the attention. You can say that Leupold is the best, plain and simple, cause thats all you have, and you live in Oregon, of course your going to stick up for something made in your state, you probably got relation that works for Leupold for all I know, but I do know, If you ever look(compare) at other scopes, like a Burris, Pentax, Nightforce, Nikon or Zeiss of similar lens size and quality RE:grade, you'll consider something other than a Leupold. '06', Do you know who David Tubb is? Which scope do you think he believes is better, Leupold or Nightforce? Give you a hint...........................................................................................................................................It's not Leupold, and I thought you said Leupold is the "BEST" scope plain and simple.
grin.gif
Jay. P.S. Read the whole thread and see what other people say about owning both a Leupold and a Burris scopes for unbiased opinions.

I actually looked through a couple Zeiss Conquest scopes and **** they were crisp, clear and bright. I would put them either with the VX3, or even higher. But they just dont have enough selection for my kind of shooting. I have looked through a couple Nightforces but **** they are just to high tech for me, I dont even know how to use them. For the kind of shooting I do, and the price, I cant beat a Leupold. I have also looked through a pentax lightseeker 30mm and that thing was also super bright and clear. But it was upwards of $700+. I'll just stick with Leupold.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>
Did Burris warranty the scope after the one-ton encounter?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bet they would if repair had been required. I have a buddy that dropped a set of Leupold binos of the bumber of his truck at 40 mph and the company repaired them at no charge.

BTW, does anyone know about warranty svc from IOR. Me neither. I do not know anyone who has broken one of the IOR scopes. I have the 2.5-10x 42 Illuminated MP8 and 16x 42 MP8. If some how I needed or wanted another scope for my .300 WSM I would look first at IOR's product line.

[ 06-24-2003: Message edited by: RuffHewn ]

a good but somewhat biased article
http://www.chuckhawks.com/scoping_out.htm

I find these words echo well with me (a consumer) "Don't expect a $500 scope to be four times better than a $125 scope; it just isn't so. Forget the ad copy. Scope makers could publish resolution specs, brightness specs, allowable tracking variances. Valid hunting issues like depth of field cannot be gleaned from the printed page. Most don't, and apparently won't. They are all "bright," "shockproof," and "fogproof." None, it seems, are fully schlockproof. Their ad-copy certainly isn't "parallax free," at any range."

Why don't scope makers publish meaningful specs that can be easily compared among different manufactures? Becuase if they do, you will find high-end scopes really don't give you that much more for the 2X,3X or even 4X prices they currently are getting in the market place.
grin.gif

I have just read this whole thread. There seems to be a bit of patriotism involved not all scopes have to be made in the USA. I have a 4.5-14x50Leupold tactical on a 22Lr that I shoot rabbit's out to 180 metres with (subsonic Win HP). I like the scope mechanically and ergonomically but I find it hard to believe that as the light fails at dusk I get to the point that I can not shoot because I can not see. Yet I have a 8x56 Kahles that is 35+ years old and it drags in more light at dusk and gives me more shooting time. Why can't American scopes out perform a ancient Kahles in low light.
OK I should buy Kahles? No because I can't get mil-dot reticles in Kahles.
So what are the opinions on scopes in the 4.5-14 or 6-24 sort of power ranges with mil-dot reticles that provide good image quality in low light conditions.

Subsonic, You did say 8x56, right, the 56mm objective is the reason you can pull so much light in, american scope makers don't make 56mm objectives, cause we can't hunt legally at night where a huge objective might come in handy, as they do in europe, that why europeon scope makers produce the 56mms. My son's Burris 6-24X-44mm w/Mil-dot reticle on top of his 22-250 is an excellent scope as far as brightness, clarity, etc. and is one of my favorite scopes, It'll compare against any europeon scope, I'm certain of that. Jay

[ 07-20-2003: Message edited by: Jay Gorski ]

Quote by; Jay Gorski-
Subsonic, You did say 8x56, right, the 56mm objective is the reason you can pull so much light in, american scope makers don't make 56mm objectives, cause we can't hunt legally at night where a huge objective might come in handy, as they do in europe, that why europeon scope makers produce the 56mms. My son's Burris 6-24X-44mm w/Mil-dot reticle on top of his 22-250 is an excellent scope as far as brightness, clarity, etc. and is one of my favorite scopes, It'll compare against any europeon scope, I'm certain of that. Jay
:Unquote:

I liver in the USA and hunting at night or low light conditions is very important.. what do you mean we can't hunt at night&gt; Where you from? We hunt Coyotes at night or early mornings and late evgs...
Deer is not the only game on earth my friend...

We NEED 56mm scopes here like REAL bad... setting up to hunt Yotes when it starts to get dark and the yotes are comming out at around 6pm... you need EVERY little bit you can... at 450 yards out, I need my 6.5-20x50mm Leopold turned up...
at this time of day and with 19x a 50mm will kill a 40mm.... a 56mm will kill a 50mm... as long as they have simuler quality optics..
I've compared a Nightforce 8-32x56 to my leopld at around 20x and the Nightforce is a little sharper and brighter... at 10x they are close..

scott

I don't understand why scope makers are stuck in the dark ages, by god make us some 80mm scopes and qite ripping us off...... make us some rings to fit em on our rifles..

There is lots of game to hunt in low light conditions... even Deer can be hunted at dusk and dawn, where they come out the most.

Donham if you want an 80mm objective all you have to do is place an order with U.S. OPTICS they will even give you a 35mm tube or bigger. But you will pay for it
wink.gif

Burris scopes do appear brighter and seem to have better color rendition than others under $1000. It is not really a brightness issue that a light meter could read, I think. That said, the gun tests light meter test sounds like BS to me, but what do I know.

I bought the Burris XTR because I thought it was the best under $800 tactical scope. It went back twice for issues. Now it is fine.

Larry and I didn't see eye to eye on this one, but he did get it figured out.

Things have changed in the past 18 months. I bought a 8.5-24 Leupold M4 with a dealer discount, and the dealer deal now requires stocking dealers only. And the Military and Police discounts are only on the high end tactical or long range models. So I guess my days with Leupold are over. Nice product, but they are fallible. A brand new 6.5-20x40 had parallax adjustment issues, and although they repaired it, I paid shipping. I also hav an old 20x fine cross hair scope I bought in the 80's on my 222 Sako.

Getting on to the Burris issue... I recently bought a Ruger Predator 6.5 Creedmoor, and decided that perhaps a better scope than the cheapos that I have been putting on many of my rifles would be in order. Altough they are adequate for up to 200 yards, at 300 and beyond the contrast ratio starts to take a pretty severe hit. Seeing .22 cal bullet holes becomes very difficult even at 24x. 30 cal holes are there, but fuzzy.

Set my mind to buying a scope under $400 that would have decent optics... meaning no chromatic or other aberrations. And a decent reticle with mil dot being my new requirement.

Burris Fullfield II was one of my choices, and met the price constraints. But the reticle reminded me of a kindergarten cartoon. Thick lines at the edges that would distract from the field of view. And a mil dot center section that was just acceptable. The Fulfield E1 was a lot more at one dealer however found them at another much closer to my target price of $400. Prices recently dropped at many dealers I assume because they are going to introduce a new model. The E1 reticle makes a lot more sense, having a bullet drop reticle calibrated for 22-250 which will work well with the Creedmoor. I find the optics very acceptable and look forward to putting this shorter scope on my Sako Vixen or the Predator.

Saving $350-$400 from the Leupold price tags is going to buy a lot of bullets primers and powder. Leupold needs to rethink their price structure.

Burris is head and shoulders above the UTC/Leapers and BSA and many other scopes from China. Although many have impressive specifications exit pupil and optical quality are not there. Many manufacturers don't even specify exit pupil size... the mark of a better product.

Good shooting

Dave

Things have changed in the past 18 months. I bought a 8.5-24 Leupold M4 with a dealer discount, and the dealer deal now requires stocking dealers only. And the Military and Police discounts are only on the high end tactical or long range models. So I guess my days with Leupold are over. Nice product, but they are fallible. A brand new 6.5-20x40 had parallax adjustment issues, and although they repaired it, I paid shipping. I also hav an old 20x fine cross hair scope I bought in the 80's on my 222 Sako.

Getting on to the Burris issue... I recently bought a Ruger Predator 6.5 Creedmoor, and decided that perhaps a better scope than the cheapos that I have been putting on many of my rifles would be in order. Altough they are adequate for up to 200 yards, at 300 and beyond the contrast ratio starts to take a pretty severe hit. Seeing .22 cal bullet holes becomes very difficult even at 24x. 30 cal holes are there, but fuzzy.

Set my mind to buying a scope under $400 that would have decent optics... meaning no chromatic or other aberrations. And a decent reticle with mil dot being my new requirement.

Burris Fullfield II was one of my choices, and met the price constraints. But the reticle reminded me of a kindergarten cartoon. Thick lines at the edges that would distract from the field of view. And a mil dot center section that was just acceptable. The Fulfield E1 was a lot more at one dealer however found them at another much closer to my target price of $400. Prices recently dropped at many dealers I assume because they are going to introduce a new model. The E1 reticle makes a lot more sense, having a bullet drop reticle calibrated for 22-250 which will work well with the Creedmoor. I find the optics very acceptable and look forward to putting this shorter scope on my Sako Vixen or the Predator.

Saving $350-$400 from the Leupold price tags is going to buy a lot of bullets primers and powder. Leupold needs to rethink their price structure.

Burris is head and shoulders above the UTC/Leapers and BSA and many other scopes from China. Although many have impressive specifications exit pupil and optical quality are not there. Many manufacturers don't even specify exit pupil size... the mark of a better product.

Good shooting

Dave

lightbulbThere's even more changes since OP posted it on
post_old.gif
01-10-2003, 07:36 PM lightbulb

Nice dig nonetheless!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.