Accuracy of Burris Ballistic Plex or Leupold Long Range Plex Reticles

dmnelson15

I currently have a Bushnell Fullfield II 3-9x40 Bal Plex on my .30-06, and I am wondering if anyone has a scope with this style reticle and any experience in using the holdover lines. Are they accurate enough to count on them, or would it be better to dial in the corrections and stay with a standard plex style reticle. I have a Leupold VXII 3-9x50 Wide Duplex scope on my other .30-06 and was considering sending it in to have their LR Duplex reticle put in, but not if the holdover lines can't be counted on anyways. Any help is greatly appreciated. Dave

The secret is your calibration. The reticle will be very consistent but the distance of each mark will be dependent upon your specific bullet BC and velocity.

Once you get it you get it figured it'll save a few critical moments when shot time is short.

I've used them , and I like them . be sure to use the same power setting while you shoot . higher power will shorten your distance , lower will lengthen . I always use max to keep it simple . I've always been able to get a happy medium with the hold overs . my 7mm with 160 grain and the 4.5-14 Burris set at 14 power was something like 2" high @ 100 , on @ 200 , 2" low @ 300 , on @ 400 , 1"high @ 500 . close enough for big game hunting . Jim

Roy and Jim: Thanks, that does make sense. After thinking about it a bit I will go to the range, find out how many inches each line is away from the one above it at 100yds and then do the math for their corresponding drop at the yardages they represent. Then apply that to my loads trajectory. Thanks for your input,
Dave

Dave , I can help you a little to start with . then you must go to the range and test these . if you know your bullet velocity , and b.c. , you can run the numbers and get the approximate drops of your bullet at these distances to see what zero matches the closest . with a 30.06 I'm betting the 100 zero . here is a calculator that I use . hope this helps , and I didn't confuse you . Jim
Hornady

these are for the scope set at 14 power.

100yard 0
200 drop 3
300 drop 13
400 drop 29
500 drop 55

200 yard 0
300 drop 4.5
400 drop 18
500 drop 38
600 drop 66

I have the Burris 3-9 Bal plex on my muzzleloader, the Leu VXII 3-9 bal plex on my .270 wsm and the Leu VXII 4-14 on my .257 Wby and have hunted using all with great success. They are roughly equivalent optics from my experience and are great for hunting out to 500yd; muzzleloader to 230yd. I tried the turrets, but for inside 500yds the bal plex reticle allows a quicker shot. I just chrony the load and run a ballistic program. For example, on my .257 I set the crosshair to hit about 1.8"high and and then shoot at the computed distances for the respective dots and fine tune the distances. Dot 1 is on at 340, dot 2 at 460, and the top of the plex at 600. You just have to remember 3 numbers - the distance for each dot. But be sure and shoot at each distance/dot; the ballistic computations will only get you close.

Thanks again, I'll use the Hornady calculator to get an idea of the trajectory, find the distance between the stadia lines in the reticle and go practice a bit.

Thanks again, I'll use the Hornady calculator to get an idea of the trajectory, find the distance between the stadia lines in the reticle and go practice a bit.

these are for the scope set at 14 power.

100yard zero dead on
200 yard bullet drop 3 inches
300 yard bullet drop 13 inches
400 yard bullet drop 29 inches
500 yard bullet drop 55 inches

100 yard bullet 2 inches high ??
200 yard zero dead on
300 yard bullet drop 4.5 inches
400 yard bullet drop 18 inches
500 yard bullet drop 38 inches
600 yard bullet drop 66 inches

these are the distances in inches between the stadia lines as per Burris . Jim

Last edited:
I have used the Burris Ballistic Plex a fair amount and I like it alot. I would suspect that you can find a load for your 30-06 that corresponds fairly closely to the stadia wires with a 100 yard zero and a 180 grain bullet like the Nosler ballistic tip or accubond.
Just ran the numbers on the JBM ballistic calculator and looks like that was a good guess. Here is the link to the table. I used 1.7" scope height (that is what mine is with the 4.5-14x), 2800 fps velocity and a ballistic coefficient of .5 and you get pretty close to the drops listed for the 100 yard zero in the post above me.
I come up with:
200 yds -3.4"
300 yds -12.6"
400 yds -28.5
500 yds -52.3"
Keep in mind these are just estimates but I'll bet you will be very close.
JBM - Calculations - Trajectory (Simplified)

Last edited:
I'd bet that simple Wide Duplex would get u close to 500 yds. in itself if u're just using it on big game. With that reticle u basically have a 1-stadia ballistic reticle that subtends 8 shooter's minute of angle (MOA) between x-hair and plex post tip @9x. If u zeroed for 250 yds. or so u'd be set up fair enuf for a point blank zero probably all the way out to 300-350 yds. depending on tgt. size. Then u could start applying the reticle, i.e., suppose u knew the 400 yd. drop is say something like 16" (4 SMOA). Then 4/8 = .5, so just aim 1/2 way down to the plex post tip and shoot. Calculate windage too the same way, get a Butler Creek ocular scope cap cover and put all your dope in it on a sticker. Suppose the 500 yd. drop is 35" low (7 SMOA), that's 7/8 = .9, so aim 9 tenths down to the PPT. U'd be surprised the accuracy of interpolation really using this kinduva system. Here's what my dope stickers look like on some of my rigs--

400-.5-.3

...range, elevation, and windage no headers needed.

It is really quite simple to buy exbal with its built in reticle tool and run a variety of possibilities in a few minutes.

All you need is the MV and run the numbers for any power and stadia line

Works really quite and extremely accurate.

BH

I have used the burris ballistic plex with success on several rifles for about 5 years. They can be pretty effective on big game out to 500 yds, but I had to put in some significant range time to tune the scope setting for vital area hits at all ranges to 500yds. All the manufacturers are clear this must be done to effectively tune the scope to the rifle and load. As stated in previous post, you must be consistent in selecting your magnification setting. If you tune everything to be on target at 9x and try to use the ballistic plex when your scope is at 5x you will miss big. Don't ask me how I learned this critical piece of information. ha ha ha

In response to the second part of your question- I recently set up my 300wsm with a leupold mark 2 scope. I called leupold, gave them my load data and $60. Two weeks later I received my custom laser ingraved elevation turrent. I have shot it several times from 300 to 1000yds. It is dead nuts on the money. No burning up ammo trying to find the best compromise of a scope setting. It is significantly more precise than a ballistic reticle. And it is effective to 1000yds. And it is alot of fun hitting your target at 1000yds. I don't care who you are. It will put a smile on your face.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.