New guy in the packing world

mrober46

Hey y'all I am looking to do some brain picking on some of you seasoned pack trippers. I am new to the game but I have hunted all of my life, but moving put west to New Mexico from The sunshine state is a whole new world to me. My plan is to buy a ruck with a frame and suspension system that I can swap a day Pack for shorter treks from basecamp. I have been looking at Kuiu gear and leaning towards the 6000 with a smaller day pack. any thoughts, pros/cons to this gear from folks who have put them to the test? I will most likely be doing 8 day trips at the most. Starting with turkey this spring for a warm up.

The way they make 'em now, you can buy a big pack and compresses down to day-hunt size. IMO, they work just fine and are practical. A fancy pack doesn't make you a fancy hunter and people have been hunting for thousands of years and doing just fine with whatever they had. I've had everything from cheap to not-so-cheap and other than maybe one pack that constantly squeaked, none of them were a major factor to success. That said, the higher end ones (Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch...) are more comfortable and better designed. I will say that the higher end packs do carry meat better than the cheapies. That can be important cause you don't want to twist an ankle or break a leg.

I have a Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900. I've used it on a 9 dayer. On that trip, the load was stupid-heavy and stuffed so full I couldn't fit a business card more in it. The pack did fine. I didn't. Once at camp, it compressed down and worked just fine to hunt with. I've carried meat in it and can say that load-shelf designs along with good compression straps do make a pretty big difference in walking stability.

Any of the high end packs are great but the lesser expensive one's are still heads and shoulders above the junk that used to be available.

Welcome from Tennessee hopefully one day I may get to make a hunt where I have to carry out meat on a pack as for now I have a cheap little pack that I would not even mention the brand is just used for possible's water etc. obviously not a multiple day hunting pack

the junk that used to be available.
...and I used to freeze to death in thin wool coat and cotton long johns! Now I buy the best I can. I have had lots of packs for day use and extended. Went with badlands diablo for years kept my back dry but started to hurt my back from my age and too short for my torso. Bought an EXO and switch bags like you are thinking. Simply awesome comfort!! Like finding that perfect mattress and sleeping like a baby. I say go for it.

I have a Mystery Ranch Pintler which is maybe a 35L pack or so. I can get overnight gear if I stash it in the meat hauling shelf. A bigger pack would be more convenient for overnights but mine is about perfect for day hunts.

I would also look at the Kifarus and Stone Glaciers. They have more modular packs that let you add on storage or strip off a lot. They also are probably about the best at packing heavy loads too. If I did more overnights I would probably go that route, plan on trying a Kifaru out someday anyways.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.