New gun! Rem 5R .308

Csafisher

So I finally broke down and bought the rifle i have been wanting for awhile, a rem 5R in 308. I broke it in by 1 shot and clean for 10rds and then 2 5rd groups and 1 10rd group. So far my best group was 3 shots during sight in at 80yards with 180gr powerpoint, it was .25''. Other than that im not impressed, I have shot 150gr ballistic silvertips and 150gr powerpoints at 100yd and get about 1.25." I have shot a couple boxes of remingtom match 168gr and got 1-1.5." Bought another box of the 180gr Powerpt and a box of 168 hornady match to try. Maybe it likes heavy bullets?

Everything is torqued to spec. 65inlbs on action; bases are el cheapo weaver 2pc(i can see light under the edge of the back one. I have a new egw base on the way.) Rings are burris zee rings and a nikon monarch.

I have noticed one lug is about .001'' longer than the other. The short one doesnt get much contact.

Also the recoil lug fit has some play in it when not cranked tight, so ill prolly get it skim bedded in the future.

I do not reload yet but I will be getting into that pretty soon. Got all the stuff I want picked out, just need to save up a little gun)

It seems you have found a few issues that can affect accuracy. I would bed it, and I it makes you feel better have the bolt lugs lapped, the bolt lug contact thing is something I don't buy into a whole lot. The trigger spring pushes up on the rear of the bolt along with the ejector pushes on the cartridge case, thus putting uneven pressure on the bolt. This will slightly off set the bolt and give false info on bolt lug contact. Until you fire the rifle, then bolt thrust will push it back and get full contact on the lug recess. This is my opinion,and you will probably read other opinions on this matter. So if a smith doesn't charge much for this procedure then go ahead and have it done.... Also, reloading is probably inevitable, so I would do that first before you dump a bunch of money in the rifle, when maybe it just hasn't had the right loads shot out of it yet.

You can't expect to be too 'impressed' shooting factory ammo. Give it a chance with hand loads and I am sure it will change your mind.

Personally, I would use the money to get setup for reloading before spending the money on any mods. You may find out that mods are not necessary except for maybe a trigger replacement.

I have a 5R in 308 and it will shoot a ragged hole at 200 yards with 168 AMAX and IMR 4064.

Good luck.

I do not reload yet but I will be getting into that pretty soon. Got all the stuff I want picked out, just need to save up a little gun)

I was just fixing to say, I was not overly impressed with mine with just about all of the factory ammo I shot out of it. But once I started sending precision handloads through it, it was shooting 1-hole groups.

Try some good ammo, like Federal 168gr Gold Medal Match, or Hornady Match 168gr. You should see some better results. I had a semi-custom .308 years ago that would put 3 of the Hornady 168 TAP (red box LE ammo) into 1 hole. And I have read of a lot of people having good results with the Federal GMM ammo, so figured it might be another good suggestion.

I've never had good luck with any Remington ammo, which is why I don't even use their brass or components. IMO, anything to do with Remington ammo is junk... And one time, it almost ruined one of our .22LR semi-auto pistols. Luckily a friend of mine was able to drill and tap out the squib bullets stuck in the bore, without any damage to anything, and saved the barrel.

I've had my 5R .308 Win since 2010, and it will put 3 Berger 210 VLD's inside a 1/4" group at 100, with Varget, Federal 210M primers, & loaded into Lapua brass.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies! Have some Hornady match to shoot. I've also heard the TAP ammo is good. May get a new trigger sometime down the road but I don't mind the xmark. It may be a hair heavy but it's crisp.

I'll have to post up when I get reloading stuff. Was thinking of trying some 168 or 175Amax. Figured that would be good for target and pigs. Maybe some accubonds for deer.

I actually did lap the one lug a little bit. It's making more contact now but other side still only has 40-50% contact. Not gonna worry about it.

So I finally broke down and bought the rifle i have been wanting for awhile, a rem 5R in 308. I broke it in by 1 shot and clean for 10rds and then 2 5rd groups and 1 10rd group. So far my best group was 3 shots during sight in at 80yards with 180gr powerpoint, it was .25''. Other than that im not impressed, I have shot 150gr ballistic silvertips and 150gr powerpoints at 100yd and get about 1.25." I have shot a couple boxes of remingtom match 168gr and got 1-1.5." Bought another box of the 180gr Powerpt and a box of 168 hornady match to try. Maybe it likes heavy bullets?

Everything is torqued to spec. 65inlbs on action; bases are el cheapo weaver 2pc(i can see light under the edge of the back one. I have a new egw base on the way.) Rings are burris zee rings and a nikon monarch.

I have noticed one lug is about .001'' longer than the other. The short one doesnt get much contact.

Also the recoil lug fit has some play in it when not cranked tight, so ill prolly get it skim bedded in the future.

A friend had a similar experience 2 years ago; he got so frustrated and sold it and got TC Venture in .308 Win also has a 5R barrel for less. He's shooting .75 MOA at 200 yards with factory 168 Berger VLD from HSM. He harvested a mule deer buck at 400 yards last year.

A friend had a similar experience 2 years ago; he got so frustrated and sold it and got TC Venture in .308 Win also has a 5R barrel for less. He's shooting .75 MOA at 200 yards with factory 168 Berger VLD from HSM. He harvested a mule deer buck at 400 yards last year.

I absolutely love my TC Venture 5R 30-06, I'm thinking about a .280Rem. Venture as soon as my Creedmoor arrives.

...May get a new trigger sometime down the road but I don't mind the xmark. It may be a hair heavy but it's crisp...

It was easy for me to get the X-mark trigger on my Rem700 5R down to about 2.5 lbs pull weight. I just backed out the upper screw (the one with paint on it) about two turns, and applied gun oil to all exposed pins and holes. My trigger is safe and reliable. From what I've read, and my own experience, I think X-mark triggers vary a lot from the factory. Perform any mods with caution. Check for safe operation before loading ammo.

I have had three and found that those along with a few others bought by my buddies seem to do well with Factory Federal Match 168/175's. All the rifles I know of held .5MOA or better. I have also had Nosler Custom 165BT''s prooduce the same accuracy. I have done a basic recoil lug bedding and a trigger change on mine. Handloads delivered the best results with sub .5MOA groups on all my rifles.

I have to agree with others on here. My 5R-308 hasn't ever had any factory rounds through it, as I handload for all my rifles. But, if I were to shoot factory loads, I'd start with reputable factory "Match-Type" ammo to try to find some sort of realistic accuracy base line. As stated, I load my own, & I know it feels very satisfying shooting that "One-Hole-Group" with ammo you've constructed yourself!!! The Remington 5R rifles seem to have a good reputation for being accurate factory guns. And, I agree with those who say that. For the record, I've had good success with 175 Nosler Custom Comp bullets & Varget powder, but, there are numerous bullet, & powder combos that should serve you well, when you begin to reload your own. I will say, before starting to reload, read as much as you can, & do your homework! Good Luck with the 5R. Idaho5R

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.