New Gun

jdk81

I have a Remington 700 BDL 30-06. I plan on using this gun for deer, when I travel to hunt, and also big game including elk and others I may want to hunt in the future. As I understand it, the 30-06 will not shoot as flat or as accurate at long ranges such as 500-800 yards +.
1. What caliber will be my best bet for super long range accuracy and possibly hunting things with it, generally smaller game such as deer, coyotes, etc.?

2. What rifle is currently the best on the market in terms of accuracy, durability, and longevity?

Thanks!

Edit: I also have a 5.56 that I use for shorter range (100 yards) for yotes and other pest control.

You are going to get a lot of opinions on this one. I think the 30-06 is the ultimate all around rifle. You can take deer at 800 yards with it and it will be plenty accurate if you set it up right. A 210 berger or 208 amax would work great in that caliber and will have enough energy for long range elk. For me, super long range starts at 1000 yards. Savage is, in my opinion, is the best rifle for the money; they shoot right out of the box with no modifications. A 338 edge, 338 RUM or 338 lapua is your over 1000 yard caliber. 7mag, 300 mag are good to a little over 1000 yards on elk and smaller and the 30-06 is good at 800 plus yards. Just put some decent glass on the rifle, develop some loads and it will surprise you.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.