new gun

bdunn44

hey guys im new on here so i was lookin for some advice. im lookin into gettin a new rifle. i want a browning a bolt long range hunter. but i cant make up my mind on what caliber to get either 6.5 creedmoor 0r 7mm rem mag. i will be mostly huntin deer and coyotes. shooting out to about 500 to 600 yards at the most. what do yall think would be the best bet?

The 6.5 Creedmoor is a good cartridge but it is smaller in capacity than a & 7 mm Rem Magnum. So I don't see a comparison .
There is nothing that a 6.5 Creedmoor can do that a 7mm08 or 308W can't do in a hunting situation .
Of the two the 7mm Rem Mag would have the better knock down at longer range.
However they chew barrels up fairly quickly .
If the deer is also Elk and you are considering the 7mm Rem mag then I would be inclined to also consider 300 Win Mag . You get the excellent range of 30 cal bullets , lots of comp quality dies in 300 WM available for better reloads .
Store bought ammo more easily available.

hey guys im new on here so i was lookin for some advice. im lookin into gettin a new rifle. i want a browning a bolt long range hunter. but i cant make up my mind on what caliber to get either 6.5 creedmoor 0r 7mm rem mag. i will be mostly huntin deer and coyotes. shooting out to about 500 to 600 yards at the most. what do yall think would be the best bet?
7mag all the way but I'd suggest there are better options for you than the browning, namely the Remington 700 and Winchester M70 on the low end and Weatherby accumark on the high end.

With Browning what you get is pretty much what you got, not a whole lot you can do with them if they don't shoot well right out of the box.

Customs of course run higher but give the classified section here at LRH a look as well as over at Sniper's hide and Sniper Central. You can find some really nice rigs that have already had all the tuning necessary done.

I'd also say give the .260 Rem a look if you really like the 6.5's along with the 6.5x284. Both are better choices than the creedmore.

7mag all the way but I'd suggest there are better options for you than the browning, namely the Remington 700 and Winchester M70 on the low end and Weatherby accumark on the high end.

With Browning what you get is pretty much what you got, not a whole lot you can do with them if they don't shoot well right out of the box.

Customs of course run higher but give the classified section here at LRH a look as well as over at Sniper's hide and Sniper Central. You can find some really nice rigs that have already had all the tuning necessary done.

I'd also say give the .260 Rem a look if you really like the 6.5's along with the 6.5x284. Both are better choices than the creedmore.
Back before I discovered the savage I was at my gunsmith seeing him, his wife and my kids. (HEY I PUT EM THRU COLLEGE THEY OUGHTA BE MINE!) Anyway a guy showed up for his browning that he had been doing a trigger job on. Bill read like this:
adjust/stone trigger $110
removing the stink of a browning from MY SHOP! $5000

Of course he hated anything that didnt have a 700 somewhere engraved on it.

I think that the Browning LRH is a nice rifle, and I find that they are well made. I have seen a few that didnt shoot well but that happens with all manufacturers... you just cant have it tuned like a m700 or m70. If you do get a browning, i would look into the 7 WSM over the 7 Rem mag. The rem mag, though its been around for a long time and does perform, is a poorly designed round when next to most other 7mm offerings.

If I was into that kind of budget I would look at the remington senduro and the winchester coyote lite.

If you are dead set on a browning then buy it. Yes it can be fixed if not accurate it will just cost 6x the $$$ of a savage and twice a rem or win. Any gun can be trued(Ok niot a mosin lol)(rem 600 UHHHH). But it can be made to work just more $$$$$. Since everyone else is telling yo0u to buy a rem 700 or a worked over mauser(ooops I meant win) then Im gonna nail ya with a savage vote. 1k buys a custom stock trued up hart/lilja/kreiger etc that you can expect sub .5MOA and you can change caliber with in 13 minutes for $50.(castoff)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.