New gear

I have made a couple of stoves from beer cans that burn alcohol. More precisely Heat. They amakere extremely light weight and use approximately 1 fluid ounce of alcohol to boil enough water for a mountain house meal. Boil time for cold water is about 5-7 minutes. The whole idea is to eliminate the weight of a butane canister and to only carry as much fuel as you need. There are some draw backs however. Butane stove are easier and faster to use and the longer your trip is the smaller the over all weight savings is. There are some factory made alcohol stove available.

Hunting season always ends way to soon and seems like it will never get here fast enough. And I always seem to think of numerous items it would be nice to have for the next season. Don't always get anything, but this year I bit the bullet and be it right or wrong. Purchase a Seek out side teepee tent and a Hill People stainless wood stove. Plan on using the wood stove to cook on. Been wet and cold so many times 3 to 20 miles from the pickup decided I was going to try this set up. Of coarse will admit, that the 3 to 6 mile trips I usually just back pack, but when I start getting to the longer distances I do have a couple horses. Also my son usually hunts with me so we will be able split the load up. I use merino wool base layer to sleep in and for those cool mornings. Anyone have a suggestions for pants and jacket that are waterproof, quiet and comfortable?

This year I'm switching to a super tarp by Kifaru from 3 season Easton tent.. don't know about that titanium stove they sell .. Also went from badlands pack to a mystery ranch crew cab..

Has anyone had any problems with a super tarp ?

This year I'm switching to a super tarp by Kifaru from 3 season Easton tent.. don't know about that titanium stove they sell .. Also went from badlands pack to a mystery ranch crew cab..

Has anyone had any problems with a super tarp ?

I think you will be very happy with the Super Tarp. I've used one for several years.You can fit two people in it but they are a palace for one guy.
As for a stove ,if I were looking to buy one the first place I would look is T I Goat Wi fi.
The one I use when I use one I made out of two s.s. kitchen canisters that I bought from Walmart and 4' of titanium stove pipe.
That S tarp is very versatile
Tim

Has anyone worked with the magentoSpeed V3 ? It's on my wish list but I cant find any feedback on them good or bad

Yes I got a V3 a while back and it's great. Extremely accurate especially compared to my old crapper light sensor pro chrono. Only downside is it changes POI so I only use it on the front side of load development when I'm figuring out max pressure/velocity and then after I've found my accurate load. But the accuracy of the data is worth it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good back pack for an extend hunt lets say 10 days ..
Depends on how much of a load you are prepared to carry vs how minimalist you want to go with your camping.

The Kuiu Icon series are very good packs, look at the 6000 and 7200 series if you want to go heavy, if you want to go minimalist look at the 5000 series.

Comfort with a load is a very personal and individual thing so I'd suggest heading to a good store that carries a large selection of quality packs and try a bunch of them on and if you find something that seems good load it up and walk around with it a bit to see how it feels under a load.

The bad thing about packs is you won't really figure out how well it fits and supports the load till the first time you are several miles down the road packing a load.

You should take a look at the Exo Mountain Gear pack.The large one is rated at 5500 C I but it dose not take into account a large long pocket on each side and a large mesh pocket on the back
Tim

I have a crew cab now from mystery ranch .. I know they have the marshall coming out. I heard a lot of good things about Kuiu and Exo, Being from NY best place I have for packs is REI

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.