New gear:

sorry about the tent... Since we were talking marmot bags earlier... Found a Helium on sale at rei for 299 / 319...little heavier and warmer than hydrogen but a good deal for 850 down

I hear you on the water resistance....I have been torn with the weight / price/size issue with synthetic options in the washington / rainforest climates......they do have the "membrane" option in the helium...but that is not the one on sale at rei...anyone out there have opinions on a good synthetic..especially those from the damp NW? I realize would be spending a couple pounds for a 30deg.

I hear you on the water resistance....I have been torn with the weight / price/size issue with synthetic options in the washington / rainforest climates......they do have the "membrane" option in the helium...but that is not the one on sale at rei...anyone out there have opinions on a good synthetic..especially those from the damp NW? I realize would be spending a couple pounds for a 30deg.

I've got a 5 year old, 32F rated Mountain Hardwear Spirit SL w/ 800 fill power down. It has a w/b membrane shell and the baffels are welded to the shell so there is very little thread exposed on the exterior of the bag. The thing is almost a bivvy sac unto itself. MH doesn't make the Spirit SL anymore (shame), but I would keep an eye out for a used one if I were you.

MH does make the: Mountain Hardwear | Spectre™ 20 (Regular) but it's almost 2 lbs heavier than the Marmot Hydrogen. I think they realized that the membrane works better in colder, drier environments and aren't making the lighter Spirit SL anymore. The Spirit SL is no super-lightweight either, but at the right time (wet sea kayaking trips off the west coasts of Vancouver Island and Washington State) the bit of extra weight in trade for the security seems worth it on the 2nd or 3rd day of waiting out a ferociously wet storm.

I'd still stick with the hi-fill power down vs. synthetic for so many reasons, but you absolutely must keep it dry. That means a tried and true dry shelter (with good shelter ventilation too) and keeping the bag dry when in the tent or in your pack. There's quite a few dry bags that would work well as a down bag stuffsack to keep that bag dry when packing. Here's some very lightweight drybags: Cirrus™ Sack

JMHO.

TARPTENT RAINBOW: Well, got the TarpTent Rainbow and slept in it a night. Tarptent Ultralight Shelters

At 2lbs. 2 oz. with a 40" x 88" floor and 43" of headspace and a small vestibule (vestibule can be pitched several ways, one of which basically makes it a covered porch--very interesting), there is plenty of room for one person and gear or even two people as most sleeping pads are 20" wide. It's pretty roomy for one person--much, much larger than most 1 person tents at a lighter weight than many one person tents.

It is built almost entirely out of 1.1 oz, 30d, silicone coated both sides 'silnylon'. This fabric is started life as parachute fabric and is amazingly strong and flexible for it's weight. The silicone coating on both sides generally gives it about 1000mm to 1500mm hydrostatic head (that much water in a column above it before the water starts to leak through). Not super waterproof, but typically very adequate unless you are in super heavy, hurricane driven rain. The silicone makes the nylon much stronger in certain respects that polyurethane coatings.

Being silicone coated, it must be seam sealed with a clear 100% silicone product--probably take about 1/2 hr. to do on the Rainbow.

It has good (as good as it's going to get in a tent this small) ventilation with two vents at the peak.

This is a very interesting 'hybrid' type design with a partial inner wall. Having only a partial inner wall saves weight, with the downside that you will brush up against the outerwall and may get wet from condensation if you do so if ventilation is not adequate.

Trekking poles can be used to dramatically strengthen the structure in case of storms or snowfall.

It is lightly constructed, but pretty strong, in large part due to the silnylon fabric used. I did reinforce an attachment point at either end of the floor where stress from the single pole is focused as that spot seemed a little underbuilt.

The floor is also made out of 1.1 oz. silnylon and may be a bit light for this use and not particularly waterproof for a floor, but adding a floor saver should help with both of those potential issues.

So, from what I've seen (now) in terms of being lightweight to pack and being livable, it does seem like the best combination of characteristics.

KIFARU DUPLEX TIMBERLINE 2 (DT2) BAG:

This fits onto my Gen 1 frame just fine and I really like the big side pockets meant for a tripod on one side and a spotting scope on the other. These pockets give you quick access to these all important longrange hunting optics. Other outside pockets will let you organize the rest of the plethora of small longrange hunting instruments, calculators, etc. And, it's still designed to comfortably carry loads in excess of 100 lbs.

MARMOT HYDROGEN sleeping bag: A 30F rated, 850 fill power down, 1lb. 8oz. bag that packs very small in the pack. This thing is so light that when you sleep in it, it feels like you aren't in or under anything. The shell has a DWR, but other than that, isn't particularly watertight, so it's very important to keep it dry at all times.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.