new deer hunting area 6-700 yards.

Gravedigger1

Guessing on distance waiting on Kilo 2000 to arrive.

What rifle would you choose between a Broad Creek mauser mark x 300 Dakota pacnor barrel or a Hammond built Rem 700 25-06 hart barrel? I think both wearing 26" barrels. Neither is wearing enough scope at this point.

1, the 25-06 brass is easy to find as well as factory ammo, but to maximize a single gun in your area the 300 will do the deer, bear and moose in your area if you hunt all three. There is a limited variety of .25 caliber bullets available and .30 caliber it's endless. If you reload you're in great shape for either. Also consider recoil. The scope is an entire different can of worms. You'll get a thousand opinions from this forum. You could list your preferences as far as power and price limit for a scope to narrow opinions. Welcome and good luck

I already own both rifles and reload just debating which I should work with for the distance.

The 300 Dakota was built for an Elk trip that never happened.

Don't know how much scope power I need (want)?

What rifle would you choose between a Broad Creek mauser mark x 300 Dakota pacnor barrel or a Hammond built Rem 700 25-06 hart barrel? I think both wearing 26" barrels. Neither is wearing enough scope at this point.

I'd pick the 300 Dakota; hopefully you got a 1:9" or faster to take advantage of the heavy/high BC bullet offerings.

Another vote for the .300 Dakota. I think a 10 twist is plenty though. At the ranges your talking about the 180 grain bullets are plenty. 200-215 grain bullets will also work well and give you less wind drift...but more recoil. I'd probably use 180s.

So with the responses I'll work on a load for the 300 Dakota. It hasn't been out of the safe for at least a dozen years. The rifle has less than 50 rounds through it and from what I remember less than 1/2 moa.

Looking around at bullets available today would the Hornady 178gr ELD-X a good choice?

In the words of Radio..."Bof..." :D

The .25-06 will be great for deer inside of 500, and the .300 Dak for 500+ shots.

Hornady ELD-X would be a great choice. I also like Nosler Accubonds and Ballistic Tips.

I've had great success with ballistic tips in my 243 and my 250 Savage AI. on deer . Been out of the the loop for a while and my reading points me in Hornady direction.

Never shot a deer over hundred yards so this is all new to me.

The 2506 shoots Sierra 120 game kings bthp into ragged one hole groups. I had it rebarreled for my father 15 years ago and he only gets out one or two days a year. He turns 79 this year so I do all the load development and sighting in.

The kilo arrived. I went and ranged the field today. The longest shot would be 575 yards.

With the suggestions in the thread. I'll work on the Dakota.

How much scope is needed (power) or usable at this range? The most scope I have now is a 3.5x10 Leopold but it's not on either of these rifles.

The Dakota will get a muzzle break soon. Any recommendations or what to consider.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.