800 yards deer hunting less work the better

thank you all for the opinions and yes i have a leupold range finder as far as the shot i waited six years for the tag and it was the last weekend i understand it wasnt the best idea but it was something i felt i had to try
I have to tell you that you were really brave to post your story about your last hunting trip here on this site! Wow!! But your honesty really paid off with some good feedback!!

This is a ladder I did yesterday at 200yds. The further berms had water across but the results can provide some insight as to load testing.
308, Lapua brass out of the box, imr 4064 42.6, 42.9, 43.2, 43.5, 43.8, 44.1 are the charge weights. Bullet is a match solid @ 2.853. The length was from my lake city brass load which is 44.0. No speeds due to dead bats. This illustrates the need to test your rifle

Attachments

• 20181203_140242.jpg
    20181203_140242.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 105
Hey everyone i researched quite a few threads nothing was quite as specific as i wanted to see and if its not very possible feel free to tell me. I am going to purchase a gun within the next week and im wondering what brand and what caliber would be great to start with all i care about is being able to hit at 800 anything past that i feel requires a great amount of practice which i don't have time for so something that can accurately shoot to 800 is plenty for me. Group spacing i would like to be within 6 inches at 800 i hunt mule deer and whitetail has to have knock down power out to 800 for a clean kill shot i also plan to hunt elk in the near future if the caliber could kill elk to the same range or maybe less say 500 thats a major bonus for me an all in 1 gun would be perfect. I do not want to reload my own ammo if i don't have to once again just don't have time for it. Gun brand something i can buy right from cabelas and scheels whats the gun that can get it done from factory i would prefer not to go custom built. ammo whos gonna have the most consistent and whats the opinion of the best out there for the caliber you favor. If what im wondering isnt possible feel free to voice it to me if theres a gun thats perfect but something just has to be done say loading ammo voice it to me i am here to learn. overall summed up i would just like a factory gun factory ammo that i can poke deer at 800 yards with reliably that doesnt require a pile of time and maintenence put into it as with owning two businesses i just do not have time as far as the major of everything which is shooting ability i am a good shot and have been hunting since i was 14 i am confident in my shooting abilities and when there is time i do go to the range and practice but is it something i have every week to do, no i dont . when i shoot a deer i make sure it will be an ethical shot and i wont leave the animal wounded or suffering there is nothing worse on this planet then hitting a deer and not being able to recover it ..... any suggestions and information is much appreciated also if you have an opinion a scope that you love or feel is great for long range feel free to throw that into your suggestion. if what i am asking is not possible explain to me why dont bash me please! THANKS!
270 wsm works out to that range.

From the aggregate of the reactions to the OP's original post, I strongly suspect that he understands that there is much more to long range hunting then he originally anticipated. I would support this reaction. Fortunately, today there is a large volume of "solid" information available.
Forums like this one, articles, books, and schools are all readily available to newcomers. This is a lot different from when I decided to pursue LR hunting well over a decade ago. Good information was scarce and it seemed like I had to "inch" my way up to effectively shoot game to 800+ yards.
While this may very well already be your intention, my advice to the OP would be to hold off on any concrete decision for a period of time and do the homework. Develop your own knowledge base, preferences, and plan. Then test it with this crowd if desired. IMO.

Last edited:
If you've never shot a gun at 800 yards, I highly recommend doing LOTS of target practice (at non-living things) before taking a shot at a living thing, and risking maiming it. There is no such thing as instant gratification in the long range shooting world, despite what all the gun magazine articles will try to tell you. You have to work your way out to your distance goal. You have to learn the equipment, learn how to use it. Learn the basics of LR shooting. Build muscle memory. Start at 100, then go to 200, then once you're shooting consistent groups at that distance, move to 300, etc... And I don't mean all in the same day.

And in all honesty, once you get past about 500 yards, the wind really plays a factor. So, 800 is not a cake-walk.

You will need LOTS of practice that you don't want to spend the time or money on... My suggestion stick with 100-200 yard shots.

Yep, the "Mud" hit it in the crack again.

This has been a great post. The best money you can spend is on training maybe with a borrowed rifle for now. Then you can make decisions from there. The training will be the most important money you will spend, but if you are part of the youth today you want everything now and in this game that don't work. Even though TV makes it look that way.

How much load development have you done? to get it to that 2inch mark? Store bought, how many different types did you shoot and which shot best?
Do you know how to use a ballistic app? Which ones do you use?
Glass if you know what your load does you can buy a ballistic turret or even have a reticle made for that load.
If you don't practice in the wind your woefully unprepared to shoot at game in the wind. As has been stated being able to hit a target in a controlled situation isn't shooting at game in an uncontrolled situation.
Your 270 wsm has more than enough to hunt deer sized game with the right bullet/load combination. Your limits should be where you can hit a milk jug 100% of the time. This is hunting. Your not in a fire for effect situation where a wounding is the same as a killshot.
There is a lot of good advice in the previous posts by many members. The theme is knowing your gear and your abilities. If you lack in either department there are man on this thread that can offer help in shooting loading equipment and access.
If you uncomfortable with that try this
Video your range sessions, purchase a chronagraph#1. If your not a reloader purchase a box of Hsm 140 game changer, Fed fusion 150, Winchester 140 accubond and Hornady 143 precision hunter.
Thoroughly clean your rifle between each change of the ammo. No more than 5 shots in 20 minutes bring a 22 to practice your wind reading/correcting skills.
Once you start post up and people can direct you in the proper way with shooter technique to eliminate some possible errors in the basics. How to overcome some things that may be above your current skill level. And get you up to the level you wish to shoot at

Skyler of all the excellent information provided I would suggest 2 things. Read and follow the above quote Secondly try to find someone local who can take the time to scout and study the deer in the area you are hunting. I can make the long shots but I prefer not to. The last 2 out of state Elk tags I drew I flew from Ohio to Arizona and camped in a tent 3 weeks before the season to do recon. I ended up prepared and capable to shoot to 800 but eventually made 2 shots under 75 yards .

From the aggregate of the reactions to the OP's original post, I strongly suspect that he understands that there is much more to long range hunting then he originally anticipated. I would support this reaction. Fortunately, today there is a large volume of "solid" information available.
Forums like this one, articles, books, and schools are all readily available to newcomers. This is a lot different from when I decided to pursue LR hunting well over a decade ago. Good information was scarce and it seemed like I had to "inch" my way up to effectively shoot game to 800+ yards.
While this may very well already be your intention, my advice to the OP would be to hold off on any concrete decision for a period of time and do the homework. Develop your own knowledge base, preferences, and plan. Then test it with this crowd if desired. IMO.
Heck 5 years ago it was difficult to find information on long range shooting. Literally this site had many answers I sought over the years and once I was proficient did I actually join the forum.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.