30 cal 178 a-max,how do they work on deer at 700 yards?

30-06 boy

i bought a box of 178 a-max to try in my 30-06.i have personaly seen the performance of smk's at LR.just wondering how a-max's do at LR.thanks fellas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have seen several deer dropped cleanly with both 168 and 155 A-Max bullets, never used the 178's yet. A-Max have been excellent performers for us at a wide variety of distances. I made one head-on shot with an A-Max at just over 500 yards that resulted in very deep penetration (opposite hip) and he died in his tracks. This was with my .308 Win.

I dropped a buck this fall with a 168gr A-max. It was around 465 yards. The bullet hit the right front shoulder joint and went through the lung, took the top of the heart off and stopped in the other lung. He took about 5 steps and dropped. These are leaving my barrel around 3400fps.

This one was shot at 720yds with a 300WM and 178gr AMAX's

Charlesdoeat720circled.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Is that a deer or a jackrabbit?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I think its the camera angle, as it was just a little bit smaller then an average size doe around here. About 85-90lbs.

[ QUOTE ]
And I thought the camera added 10 pounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.