800 yards deer hunting less work the better

looking at a 300 RCM will it do a 800yrd kill. looking for a short but accuarate rifle I range from 50yrds to 800yrds like the ruger compact mag have a 7mm mag now

i totally agree im not sure if you have ever seen the badlands but it is like a chunk of the mountains you would elk hunt in it is not easy and it also doesnt help the bucks are in a full rut when season normally starts and will chase does so by the time you climb multiple ravines and get within shooting range they are now another 1000 yards away and it can be a repetitive process till you are 3 miles from the truck and its getting dark thank you for the reply!
I think everything been said except: if you're in that rough if country that walking is hard, reading the wind will be harder. All those hills and ravines make strange wind currents and eddies that will push, pull, and even lift or drop your bullet off it's course. People have stated about learning to read the wind but it's also about how to read the wind in particular environments. You need to practice reading the wind where you hunt.

I've been in lr shooting for the past 5 years. I shoot 1000-1400yards 1-3 times a week in the summer when there's not 2ft of snow on the ground and I still only feel comfortable shooting 400-600 at a living critter. There's alot more to it than just buying the latest greatest LR cartridge/rifle and slapping a lr scope on it. It takes years and thousands of rounds of practice to be proficient at cold bore shots at long range.
Yep! That's exactly my whole gripe with all this new "rage" into LR hunting. These companies will try to make you think that you buy their latest cartridge, in their partner-company's rifle, and put a high-dollar scope on it, and your instantly a LR killing machine... The gun channels on YouTube don't help either. They watch these guys shoot 600-800-1000 yards after years of practice, and it just happens to be with a brand new rifle they didn't watch them setup and shoot hundreds of rounds to familiarize themselves and to get dialed-in with a fresh dope chart, and they're instantly shooting from 100 to 1000 yards with a quick dial of the turret. The magic of video editing has killed the facts of reality for most of the world.

The 270 short mag is grouping at about two inches at 100 scope is a leupold 10 power 3.5 x40
2" at 100??? If your gun is shooting 2 MOA, then you'll be lucky to hit a 16" target at 800 yards...And that's IF you're a perfect shot proficient at shooting that distance. That's not acceptable. Do you realize how lucky you got when you hit that deer in the spine at 680?

Most of us won't even attempt to shoot that distance unless our gun shoots well under 1 MOA (roughly 1" at 100 yards)...Closer to 1/2 MOA, or better.

Dont take this the wrong way but the basis of the OP revolves around not having the time or desire to put in the work needed to become proficient at shooting long range. In my opinion, long range hunting is not for you. 800 is still very far and wind has a huge effect on a bullet at that range. Factory ammo wont cut it either unless you get very lucky that the factory loaded your barrels preferred load exactly. Sorry, but putting a good shot on a deer at 800 yards every time is going to require a lot of your time, tuning the gun and learning to shooting in the wind at that range. No easy button.

Last edited:
The 270 short mag is grouping at about two inches at 100 scope is a leupold 10 power 3.5 x40
How much load development have you done? to get it to that 2inch mark? Store bought, how many different types did you shoot and which shot best?
Do you know how to use a ballistic app? Which ones do you use?
Glass if you know what your load does you can buy a ballistic turret or even have a reticle made for that load.
If you don't practice in the wind your woefully unprepared to shoot at game in the wind. As has been stated being able to hit a target in a controlled situation isn't shooting at game in an uncontrolled situation.
Your 270 wsm has more than enough to hunt deer sized game with the right bullet/load combination. Your limits should be where you can hit a milk jug 100% of the time. This is hunting. Your not in a fire for effect situation where a wounding is the same as a killshot.
There is a lot of good advice in the previous posts by many members. The theme is knowing your gear and your abilities. If you lack in either department there are man on this thread that can offer help in shooting loading equipment and access.
If you uncomfortable with that try this
Video your range sessions, purchase a chronagraph#1. If your not a reloader purchase a box of Hsm 140 game changer, Fed fusion 150, Winchester 140 accubond and Hornady 143 precision hunter.
Thoroughly clean your rifle between each change of the ammo. No more than 5 shots in 20 minutes bring a 22 to practice your wind reading/correcting skills.
Once you start post up and people can direct you in the proper way with shooter technique to eliminate some possible errors in the basics. How to overcome some things that may be above your current skill level. And get you up to the level you wish to shoot at

I will be the last person to talk somebody out of buying a new gun, but the 270 wsm will do everything you need it to. I have an xbolt in 270 wsm and it has turned into my go to rifle for mule deer and elk. I second everything every body else has said regarding practice, there are a lot of guns and calibers that reach out there and do what you want to do, only limited by the person pulling the trigger. I pheasant hunt in ND every year, when they are available I pick up a left over antlerless whitetail tag. North dakota is one of the windiest states I have ever hunted in, always switching directions. Makes it tough for long range shots.

I would consider spending the money on optics and find some ammo that your gun likes. Maybe even send your scope back Leupold and have them put a cds turret on it if it doesnt have one. I have a VX5HD 3-15x56 with the cds on my 270, after I started spinning turrets several years ago, I rarely go back to holding over for elevation. Way more precise to dial for elevation (i do hold for wind when I am hunting).

Due to my work schedule I haven't had the time to reload ammo like I used to, but I found my 270 wsm really likes the hornady precision hunter 145 gr eldx rounds. I have never owned a kimber, but I have to believe it is capable of shooting better than 2" groups at 100 yards. You might have to play with some different factory loads - federal premium, nosler, hornady(except for their superformance line) to see what your gun likes.

Several years ago I had an experience similar to yours (except I never pulled the trigger) in Colorado that motivated me to practice and get set up for long range hunting. I spend the $600 bucks on an out of state elk tag to go with a buddy who recently moved there. Saw some massive bulls but could never get closer than 800 yards. I was shooting a 300 weatherby at the time, but I didn't have the right scope or skill set to take the shots, so I ended up going home with a tag sandwich. I was ****ed at myself for spending all that time and money and not being as prepared as I should have been.

I posted a few days ago about my group elk hunting experience this fall with guys lobbing lead at elk at 600 yards - it was rough.

This was a pretty gutsy post on your part and I am guessing you knew you might get lit up by some of the members here. I think you got some really good feedback and hopefully the experience motivates you to put in the time to get the long range shooting figured out. I have really enjoyed going through the process myself.

As the boss man said to Cool Hand Luke, "you've got to get your mind right". And you're not there.

There's lots of great info on this thread but I'll put it out there again.

You need a rifle capable of .5 moa accuracy to shoot that far and a scope capable of repeatedly making that shot. The 270WSM will get the job done regarding killing power if you can make it shoot consistently. This is VERY difficult with a factory rifle and factory ammo. There are certainly some factory rifles capable of this with well tuned hand loads but it's a rare factory rifle that will do this with factory ammo.

I shoot a lot out to 600 and occasionally out to 1000. I practice at 50-100 with rim fires, out to any range with a custom 6.5 creed and have the big iron for occasionally practice and hunting.

Having said that, I feel comfortable out to about 700 yards max in perfect conditions regarding weather, shot set up and attitude of the animal.

I've made several kills in the 400 yard range with one right at 500.

Until you're willing to put in the time, please keep your shots under 300 yards!

Like others have said your 270 wsm will do all you need done. You could go buy a new 6.5x300 weatherby but if you're not going to put them time in to learn the gun you'll be just as well off to ride down the ride with the windows down & toss the money out. You need to find a load that gun likes but that kinda group @ 100 isn't good. Nosler has a good long range round out for the 270 wsm. I believe it's a 150gr. That size group might be all that gun is capable of but you can get the 270wsm is something that shoots & do all you'll ever do. My brother law messaged me yesterday asking what gun he should buy the tikka tx3 superlite in since they're on sale @ Cabela's now. I ask what was he thinking & he replied 270 win, 30/06 or 6.5 creedmoor. I told not to be an *** but any of the 3 will kill game past the yardage he's capable of shooting.

I'd go with some sort of magnum to make sure you have enough energy at that distance. I like my .243 for practice at that distance but wouldn't shoot game past 400 with it. Built a 6.5 SAUM (6.5 PRC off the shelf version) for deer at longer ranges. With a budget of $4500 for the whole thing, you could get a semi custom. 270 WSM is close second on that side. Otherwise, might as well go 7 rem mag.

wow thank you guys for the great insight the 800 number is just that a number its the maximum distance i would ever want to shoot at 7 out of 10 times if i make a shot its 200 to 400 yards i was just humbled this year with my badlands tag and all the deer being roughly 500 plus, therefore i would like to build a rifle with confidence that can reach out spending money i would like to put in rifle and scope would be about 4500 if thats asinine and impossible and a guy would have to spend 6 minimum or something please explain to me why thank you all!
Hello shyler2201, boy You really opened a can of worms on this one!!! You've already received some good info on your question. For rifles Montana and Nosler make some pretty good shooting irons, and Nosler makes at least 3-4 good , long range calibers to meet your hunting needs. Nosler's ammo isn't cheap, but it's factory stuff like you inquired about!! I'd suggest spending at least as much money on optics as you spend on the rifle you intend to buy as well. And....as you've already received you have to get a good range finder and practice with it and your rifle. Good luck with your adventure.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.