New Build or New Rifle?

There is NO drop in ready Rem 700 barrel from Shilen or anyone else. They come short chambered in whatever caliber you choose. You WILL need to use a lathe to properly fit and headspace the barrel. Only the Savage barrels are drop in ready.

I'm starting to get the feeling you don't want any help or advice. Just want to try the cheapest route and let us know how you're gonna do it. You won't regret doing it right the first time. Quality doesn't cost, it pays. But it's your money and time...

There is NO drop in ready Rem 700 barrel from Shilen or anyone else. They come short chambered in whatever caliber you choose. You WILL need to use a lathe to properly fit and headspace the barrel. Only the Savage barrels are drop in ready.

I'm starting to get the feeling you don't want any help or advice. Just want to try the cheapest route and let us know how you're gonna do it. You won't regret doing it right the first time. Quality doesn't cost, it pays. But it's your money and time...

I didn't mean it was drop in ready to go, it would be a lot easier to put it in the lathe and punch out the chamber instead of contouring it, threading it, and crowning it ourselves which is a good bit of work. I forgot to say they needed chambered. Yes it will need the lathe, but it will be a lot faster than doing everything from scratch on it.

I'm just looking to see what you guys think of what I'm thinking. I have an idea of what I want, I'm just trying to tell you guys what my ideas are and see what you think of them. I'm open to all advice and ideas. If I wanted to be cheap I would buy a Shaw barrel for under $200. Just because I'm not using a $500 Krieger doesn't mean I'm being cheap. I really don't need a barrel that is capable of groups in the .1s or .2s, if it is in the .3s or .4s I would be happy with it. That deer won't know what my tightest group is or who's barrel I'm shooting when his shoulders are busted and his lungs are crushed will he? I'm not afraid to drop the money for a Hart, but if I can get a barrel that is almost finished for less, is proven, and one that will do what I need and want, why not use it? I just mentioned Douglas because I noticed they were made in WV and my Dad said the Army Marksmanship Unit shot them in their M14s when he was there. Figured they would be fairly decent. Just because they are cheaper than others doesn't mean they're junk, that would be like saying you can't drive to work in a Ford or Chevy because they aren't as nice as a Mercedes or BMW. Either one will get you there, just one maybe better than the other but in the end, both do what you need them to do, get you where you are going.

Like Mud stated about himself, I will give all a fair warning. I'm an opinionated, no nothing, ill-informed, and BSer because I own sub par rifles made by America's oldest gunmaker Remington. These are terrible so no one buy them and save them all for me, Dad, and Mud. Everything I say needs to be taken lightly because I own Model 700s. Haven't stepped up to the real deal Rugers :rolleyes:

Jud, dont you know remingtons suck?! :D Has anyone mentions benchmark? I got a SS, 5R barrel from them for 290 shipped. It was a blank though so you probably looking at another 200-300 to get it chambered and threaded unless you can do the work yourself. I like the 30-06 and its proven. AIs seem cool. I appreciate how the AI chamberings literally bump the parent round into a new class. Criag Boddington wrote an article on the 280 AI in guns and ammo and it was an eye opener on the performance you can squeeze out. The only AI that isnt good is Muds 300AI. A 300 Weatherby is a billion times better, based off of no research, experience, or internet gospel! hahaha

Jud, dont you know remingtons suck?! :D Has anyone mentions benchmark? I got a SS, 5R barrel from them for 290 shipped. It was a blank though so you probably looking at another 200-300 to get it chambered and threaded unless you can do the work yourself. I like the 30-06 and its proven. AIs seem cool. I appreciate how the AI chamberings literally bump the parent round into a new class. Criag Boddington wrote an article on the 280 AI in guns and ammo and it was an eye opener on the performance you can squeeze out. The only AI that isnt good is Muds 300AI. A 300 Weatherby is a billion times better, based off of no research, experience, or internet gospel! hahaha
I'm confused, and I hope you're joking... :cool:

Definitely joking. I was trying to jump on the bandwagon of people disliking your 300 AI which I've seen you defend on a couple of occasions.
Yeah, it's BS when you have to defend something...Especially your own opinion. It's my money, and my gun. I'm gonna build what I want. Thank God I got a gunsmith that likes wildcats and Ackleys, too.

Ya I know they're junk, I'm just to opinionated and have no experience that's why I use them. The same can be said for Mud he is all talk and everything he says is an opinion (just kidding) :rolleyes:

I have heard great things about Benchmark and that is one heck of a deal on that barrel! I emailed Hart Sunday and yesterday they said they charge $320 for one of their barrels with a finish length of 26" and is already contoured. That too is a good deal and we have had nothing but stellar results from Hart so if I go the custom root I will either get one of the Shilens that is threaded, contoured, and short chambered or a Hart and do all the work on it.

You can get a Remmy with a savage style (remage)nut on it ready to drop in from us for $495. Best of both worlds, just headspace and shoot.
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Like Mud stated about himself, I will give all a fair warning. I'm an opinionated, no nothing, ill-informed, and BSer because I own sub par rifles made by America's oldest gunmaker Remington. These are terrible so no one buy them and save them all for me, Dad, and Mud. Everything I say needs to be taken lightly because I own Model 700s. Haven't stepped up to the real deal Rugers :rolleyes:

my some of my remingtons have remington barrels, and also have 6 w/kriegers, one hart. worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.