New build 264 Win Mag vs 6.5/257 Weatherby

Follow your heart. Life is short and the list of should haves long. Darn little that we do in our chosen hobby is about practicality. If you figure it out most of the game meat in your freezer cost more than buying meat at the grocery but there is more to it than that.

Follow your heart. Life is short and the list of should haves long. Darn little that we do in our chosen hobby is about practicality. If you figure it out most of the game meat in your freezer cost more than buying meat at the grocery but there is more to it than that.
LOL, that's why I have both .264 WM and .257 WBTY. 😇

No, I used a throating reamer to extend the throat to suit. I do my own smithing.
I used a Manson SAAMI spec 264WM reamer.
I rarely use a custom reamer on SAAMI cartridges, a throating reamer with a floating pilot does a great job.

Cheers.
Nice. How did you come up with .240 to be the dimension needed? I was going to specify a .205 throat. I'm not sure that's the magic #, I just wanted longer than SAAMI.

Thanks for all your input.

I would go with the 264. But having said that you have to know i have a 6.5 300 weatherby a 6.5 stw, a 26 nosler, a 6mm arc, have had all the wssm and wsm calibers, both 6 and 6.5 creedmore and the 28 nosler and many more but the 264 win mag seems to be the one I like the best. I shoot from 85 to 153.5 grain bullets. The load data is there for these bullets. You may be surprised that what I shoot the most for target shooting is a 108 grain lapua sensor at 3600 fps. I have shot just over 2 inch groups a 1000 with several rifles and barrels. I like the load data available up to the 160 hornady round nose bullets. That can be used for the now day heavy bullets. They say they are barrel burners. They are all barrel burners if you go out burn up the barrel. If you have brass your ready to go but your just like all of us when it comes to powder, primers, and bullets!

Another thought, do a 257 WB with a quick twist barrel, say 1-8 ? Get bullets with 600+ G1 BC with 131 Blackjack and Bergers new 135 Hybrid if you want to stretch it out or can still shoot standard weight 25 cal bullets. Should keep recoil down slightly under heavy 264 WM levels. Anyway, another angle to consider.

(I ve got a 1-10 twist 257 WB and this has been in the back of my mind!)

My 264 mag easily exceeds the vel of the PRC. My 6.5x06 produces the same vel as the PRC. As to erroision I have a Rem 264 mag I bought new in 1964. It will still shoot under an inch. No big secret, never shoot more than two rounds without a cool down . This is a hunting rig not a competive rifle.

I have more guns in my safe than I'll ever shoot out. I'm at the age where practicality comes into play more than not. My son is into guns and will get most of my odd ball collection of stuff but so far he hasn't shown an interest in reloading so I don't know how that will end up.

I want a 264 in a Model 70, a 257WBY in a Vanguard. So I would beuilt a 6.5. But like LHD said, follow your heart.

Another thought, do a 257 WB with a quick twist barrel, say 1-8 ? Get bullets with 600+ G1 BC with 131 Blackjack and Bergers new 135 Hybrid if you want to stretch it out or can still shoot standard weight 25 cal bullets. Should keep recoil down slightly under heavy 264 WM levels. Anyway, another angle to consider.

(I ve got a 1-10 twist 257 WB and this has been in the back of my mind!)
I also have a 257 Wby. It's a 10 twist and shoots the Berger 115 and surprisingly the factory 115 grain ballistic tips 1/4 MOA.
If I ever shoot the barrel out I will rebarrel it with a 7.5 twist to shoot the heavies.