257 Weatherby or 264 Win Mag

Wolf76

I'm replacing the barrel on my 257 Bee Mark V. Been pondering different options like a 6.5-257 bee or fast twist 257 barrel for 131 blackjack bullets.
Then I came across the 264 wm. Has the preferred shoulder-not double radius-and a huge selection of bullets (only time I'll ever thank the 6.5cm).
I don't have any real problems with the 257 and have some competition dies for it. Only use the gun for deer at 400 or less. Have an amazing 308 already, so this isn't life or death.
Curious what you all would do in this scenario.
257 with a 8,9,10 twist?
264 with a 8,9 twist?

Last edited:
.264 WM for me - better bullet selection.

Currently have a Savage 111 7mm RM with a rusty/pitted barrel, bought used for the action and stock. Was planning a 6.5PRC (and may still go that way) but have been looking more and more at the .264WM. Not particularly interested in the 26/27/28 Nosler as they burn too much powder for what i want.

When I built my 6.5-06AI I was interested to discover that the .257 WBY shoots really flat out to around 700 yards - compares very well with the 7mm RM and .300RM and the bullets/loads I checked. Don't recall what the energy leves were at that range.

Went with the 6.5-06AI in part because I had a standard (.473") bolt face to work with and could form cheap brass using .25-06, .270, .280 or .30-06. Went with .25-06 because all it takes is a simple run through the sizing die.

If you were going to do a .264, a 7 or 7.5 twist would be the way to go, and use the 156 Berger. I shoot them in a .264 wm with great success and they do great, especially way out there.

However, being that your max is 400 yards and only on deer.....

I would just stick with what you got, since you are set up for it. Inside 400 yards, and especially just on deer....there is nothing to gain that is needed. I would get an 8 twist for the 257 and shoot the lighter hammer bullets as fast as possible. Should be able to get nearly 400 yards point blank out of it, or maybe only have to hold/dial past 350. 400 yards an in, having a flat shooting rifle is helpfull. Past that out to the rifles max, that is where high bc comes into play.

I'm replacing the barrel on my 257 Bee Mark V. Been pondering different options like a 6.5-257 bee or fast twist 257 barrel for 131 blackjack bullets.
Then I came across the 264 wm. Has the preferred shoulder-not double radius-and a huge selection of bullets (only time I'll ever thank the 6.5cm).
I don't have any real problems with the 257 and have some competition dies for it. Only use the gun for deer at 400 or less. Have an amazing 308 already, so this isn't life it death.
Curious what you all would do in this scenario.
257 with a 8,9,10 twist?
264 with a 8,9 twist?
If you want something different and like projects, You could build a 6.5-257 Weatherby with a 30° shoulder. I considered doing one a while back but decided to do a 6.5-7mm Blaser instead. I used a 7" twist barrel.

For your self described usage of deer out to 400 yards, the standard 10 twist 257 wby is impossible to beat. 100 grain ttsx at 3700-3750, sighted in for 2" high at 100, gives you a 300 yard zero, and only 7" down at 400.

For your self described usage of deer out to 400 yards, the standard 10 twist 257 wby is impossible to beat. 100 grain ttsx at 3700-3750, sighted in for 2" high at 100, gives you a 300 yard zero, and only 7" down at 400.
Yup. I would still do an 8 twist, but only so I could use the Hammer mono bullets, still use the 103 hammer hunter. That going 3,750 would be rather effective on deer inside 400 yards!!!

Last edited:
264 wm is the smart choice.

257 wby with 7-7.5 twist shooting 131 or 128 Is the way cooler choice. That's what I would do. You already have brass and dies an can save a little expense there. Plus if you don't like it you can shoot the barrel in no time at all with the wby!!

The 6.5 rpm by Weatherby may be a nice round that would compare! If I were looking at a 6.5 and not a 26nosler then I would be thinking the 6.5 rpm. I have a 257 in a vanguard and I personally believe that may be one of if not the best straight deer round ever!! I would go fast twist 257 all day and load hammer bullets!!

I have gave my 257 to my best friends oldest because he and his younger brother was arguing over who was going to shoot when they went hunting and I know it will serve him well!!! Until my son(3yo) will be ready for it!! Lol

The 6.5 rpm by Weatherby may be a nice round that would compare! If I were looking at a 6.5 and not a 26nosler then I would be thinking the 6.5 rpm. I have a 257 in a vanguard and I personally believe that may be one of if not the best straight deer round ever!! I would go fast twist 257 all day and load hammer bullets!!

I have gave my 257 to my best friends oldest because he and his younger brother was arguing over who was going to shoot when they went hunting and I know it will serve him well!!! Until my son(3yo) will be ready for it!! Lol

Rpm is standard bolt face, won't work with what OP's mag bolt face.

I went with 7.5 twist on my .257wby so I can run up to 121HH and still be ok with blackjacks @ 3350-- if you look at the downrange energy and wind the Blackjack is really impressive compared to any other .257 offering.

I have all the parts now I need to get the reamer from them! If you're interested in splitting or buying it from me when Im done let me know. They shortened the freebore so there isn't a massive jump.

A lot of good advice already, but given your limits and game usage, current brass and dies inventory, personally, I would re-barrel with a fast twist 257Wby. Nothing against the 264WM, as I love the caliber in an 1/8tw, but for deer sized game to 400yds, the banjo wire trajectory 257 with ability to use high BC bullets when needed just tickles my fancy.

Many years ago, I built a 25-7RM, so I could eliminate the double radius shoulder of the Wby, and I have seriously considered barrelling another action in that old wildcat with an 1/8tw. I loved the flat trajectory of that round.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.