.257 Weatherby Mag Build

I have not had brass issues with the Norma in my wby. Yes the brass is on the softer side but hasn't hurt performance to me. I don't reload to make the fastest bullet ever. I don't like to leave too much on the table either. Have a goal in mind and stay there. If you want 3600 with a 100 grain bullet it will do it. I'm happy with that speed. If I want 3650 it can normally get there. If I want to get 37 to 3800 I will build something with more capacity. Lots of guys say they get 3800 with a 100 gn. I won't ruin brass to get more. The norma brass works. I don't know why but I think the 257wby I'd one of the most accurate rounds I've ever shot. And boy does it drop deer. Barrel life on the 257, 270,and 7mm case seems to be very good to me. You can expect 1200, however I can sqeeze 2000 rounds from a barrel. I shoot the first 750 and do a 2 turn set back. I get another good 750 and these 1500 shoot real good. Then when the erosion tells me I cut about a half inch off and rechamber over again. Barrel at this point is 3/4 shorter with all the trims but still shoot lights out. I have given these barrels to customers and veterans and no one has ever complained. You will love this cartridge. It really is as close to magic dust as I have seen.
Shep

The weatherby will do very well with the 131. Get an 8 twist barrel, 26-28" long and you should be in the neighborhood of 3300-3400fps. Even if you don't maximize and run it hard, 3300 is pretty doable from all reports that I've seen. Think of it this way, I run that bullet in a 26" 25-06 and with 59.5gr IMR8133 I get just north of 3200fps, pushed hard. With the extra case capacity of the WBY, you'll be hitting good numbers easily.

I only get 3400 from the 120 grainers. I can see 3300 for the 131. And with the extra weight and bc should be able to go long easy.
Shep

Hornady makes 257wby brass too.
Primer pockets stayed tight longer in my hornady than my Norma brass
Annealling the case necks is an absolute must or they'll all split after 3-5 firings

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.