257 Weatherby Mag

trophyhunter1000

Recently purchased a 2012 .257 Weatherby Magnum Vanguard. Topped it with the DNZ one piece mounts and a redfield 3-9x52 scope. I am planning on upgrading the optics this summer to either a trijicon acupoint. My question to y'all is what mass produced ammo have y'all had luck with for this caliber, and am I crazy for spending the money to build up about 100 rounds of brass shot through my gun instead of buying new brass.

:)

Welcome to the forum and congrats on buying one of the best rounds out there. Nothing beats the factory Weatherby ammo as far as factory ammo goes. Find the best price you can on it and go for bad. I use factory ammo on all my guns for doing the break in of the barrel. With factory ammo you know you are safe. However, that being said, I would buy one box of factory and break it in. then I would buy 100-200 brass and start loading from there. Far better from an economics stand point. Even more so when your shooting anything with the name Weatherby in it.

Save the money you saved by reloading and get you a scope that will actually let you use the wicked .257 ROY to it's fullest potential!

couldnt have said it better on all accounts.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on buying one of the best rounds out there. Nothing beats the factory Weatherby ammo as far as factory ammo goes. Find the best price you can on it and go for bad. I use factory ammo on all my guns for doing the break in of the barrel. With factory ammo you know you are safe. However, that being said, I would buy one box of factory and break it in. then I would buy 100-200 brass and start loading from there. Far better from an economics stand point. Even more so when your shooting anything with the name Weatherby in it.

Save the money you saved by reloading and get you a scope that will actually let you use the wicked .257 ROY to it's fullest potential!

Thanks for the input SAKO7STW. As said in previous thread I am leaning towards the trijicon acupoint or a vortex viper for it but as always I am open to suggestions. As far as reloads I am torn between starting with the 110 gr sierras or the 110 gr hornady interbonds. Had luck with both of the rounds in on of my 7mm Rem Mag both in 139 gr and 150 gr bullets. I know its trial and error. And have you heard of any one having success with duplex loads in the .257?

My best loads shoot less than MOA out to 300 yards. My best luck has been with Hornady Interlock and Barnes Triple Shok in 117 - 120 grain bullets. I tried a number of different powders and settled on RL-22. Just speaking from memory, but my Hornady bullet load is 3300 fps and my Barnes load is a litttle over the top at over 3500 fps.

257 is my go to rifle for 90% of my hunting. You will enjoy it. MJ

Its not a bad idea to buy the lower price 100 gr Weatherby factory load to start, at less than $40 a box its not much more than brass.

I've shot the 257 for over 20 years, and mine either really liked a load or it didn't. And its fun to watch deer just pile up when you pull the trigger....:)

Appreciate all the input from all of you. Thanks so much.

There's not a better sound when hunting than the sound of a hit. Booooooom----------------Whop!
I love that sound

I have the same rifle set in a bc medalist stock. Mine had a definite preference for the 115 gr class of bullets.
I have never fired a factory round thru it but I settled on shooting a 115 bt with norma brass, fed 215, and retumbo at 3400. Oal is 3.34. If you want to try that load start about 71.5 gr and work your way up. I settled at 73 gr. Mine still copperfouls some so I clean about every 25 rounds. Accuracy has been 1/2 moa or better to 500 yds so far. 200 yd groups have been 1/2-1" consistantly.
I tried imr 7828, hybrid 100v, imr 4350 and h1000. Hybrid100 was best with the 100 gr bullets with velocity about 3550. If you want to shoot the 110's I would try h-1000 first. If you want any of the numbers let me know. I chronoed everything and found max loads in all of them for my rifle.

my old stainless vangurard would foul quickly too. After about 15 shots accuracy would go to hell. I lapped it with the tubbs system and it seemed to improve but i didnt have it long enough after that to really tell. My cdl shoots better and doesnt foul near as bad.

Reload it's way cheaper and more accurate.
Try 3 Lee's reloading supplys in Grand Island Ne.
I bought 100 cases for $87.00
You just can't beat that.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.