.257 Weatherby Mag Build

There are those speeds numbers I can't get. I'm almost to the TSX just 40 slower but ain't even close on the 110 accubond. 3540 is crazy fast for that bullet. I can get 3450 on it. I don't use the accubond now that I shoot the bib. The 257wby is definitely a sprinter to 500yards and with high bc can still get energy out to 680 yards for deer.
Shep

There are those speeds numbers I can't get. I'm almost to the TSX just 40 slower but ain't even close on the 110 accubond. 3540 is crazy fast for that bullet. I can get 3450 on it. I don't use the accubond now that I shoot the bib. The 257wby is definitely a sprinter to 500yards and with high bc can still get energy out to 680 yards for deer.
Shep
I think some of those crazy 257 loads are with a huge dose of rl26 aka unicorn tears.

I have rl26 and can't get there. 7828 gets me where I'm at. Maybe my rl26 lot just ain't the bomb. But I have built so many of them that can't. They are 257wby fast.
Shep

I have rl26 and can't get there. 7828 gets me where I'm at. Maybe my rl26 lot just ain't the bomb. But I have built so many of them that can't. They are 257wby fast.
Shep
It would also appear some of these are way over pressure since the loaders report blowing primer pockets in 2-3 firings.

All this is great information and I would like to thank everyone that has contributed. Right now I am thinking 26" maybe 27" if I want to sit the fence. I looked at the specs on the reamer Black Jack sells and I think with .131" freebore I should be able to make it work with the Ace or one of the Hammer Hunters and maybe even the lighter cup and core bullets. If the 100 -115 bullets don't shoot well maybe I need two. Got some information on a setup for light bullets too. I have the action a stock just have to get the reamer and save up/order a barrel. Then after I get a few other things caught up I will have my first Weatherby.

I love the .257 weatherby..I've built a couple for customers and they were honest 1/4moa guns! Rock Creek barrels made the first barrels for the Black Jack bullets at a 1:7 twist....I know they have a couple in stock.
I was kind of hoping Hornady or nosler would make some 130 gr pills to give new life into all the 25's but no go this year.

Hey PPguns I don't think we are going to be poor in quality .257 bullets anymore. Take for instance the BJ131. Here you have the bullet before the barrel story. These guys made a single bullet that in turn got so many companies to spend big dollars on tooling so that we could shoot that bullet. I can not wait to see what the future holds for the quarter bore. Barney Lawton made the barrel on my 257wby himself, before he died he told me he always thought the 257 would one day be the best. He explained to me how the 257 has everything like equal land and groove areas and that it makes the best barrel size he could build. I will have this one forever. I wonder what is going to be the heaviest and highest bc 25 bullet that works in a 7 twist 257roy. I think the 277 is going to do the same. We need the faster twist barrels anyway with the lead free bullets to equal weight of lead core bullets, do bring them on. Future looks bright. Got my first order for a 7 twist 25creed. You guys know I'm going to build 2 so I can have a shop rifle. Of course rifle 2 will be very much the same specs as I use in my own rifles. Wonder if the wife will miss it too often.
Shep

Another question for the .257 Weatherby shooters. I see brass from Weatherby, Nosler and Norma. Who makes the best brass for the.257 Weatherby?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.