New Barrel

tweek1142

I'm wanting to upgrade my 300WSM with a new barrel. It will be a rifle that i will walk with so i don't want a heavy barrel. the #4 contour is attractive. I've been on douglas and shilen websites. the price of the douglas is attractive but am i getting what i pay for? I will also be installing a muscle brake on it in the future. what would you guys/gals recommend.

J E Custom

I'm wanting to upgrade my 300WSM with a new barrel. It will be a rifle that i will walk with so i don't want a heavy barrel. the #4 contour is attractive. I've been on douglas and shilen websites. the price of the douglas is attractive but am i getting what i pay for? I will also be installing a muscle brake on it in the future. what would you guys/gals recommend.

I personally have not had very good luck with Douglas barrels. I have had good luck with Shilen
however.

The select match is the way to go with Shilen (There best).

You definitely get what you pay for, and a premium barrel ends up being cheeper because of
your chance of having a real shooter. the machine work cost the same on a cheep barrel as a
premium barrel so put your money on a premium ( They are normally about $100.00 dollars
in difference. )

There are 5 or 6 other top barrel brands.

J E CUSTOM

winmag

I chose a 26" fluted Hart barrel + a Mini Muscle Brake, #4 contour for my 300WSM. All finnished up it weighs about what my Factory Winchester Classic weighs.

It's also a lot lighter than a factory Browning Safari BAR!!

I know it wasn't on your short list but Hart barrels are Top notch barrels, & well worth looking into if your of a mind to

J E Custom

are
Brux
Bartline
Kreiger
Benchmark
Lilja
Hart
Obermeyer

some of the other good barrels?

Yes.

I have my own order of preference (But so does everyone else) based own my experiences.

They are ;
Lilja
Krieger
Hart
And other premium barrel you have listed .

I dont use any pre chambered barrels because if not done right they can and often do screw
up the chamber,rendering a good barrel useless.

J E CUSTOM

crazyhorse

I have one with a pacnor barrel that shoots great. Just because of the good reviews and wanting to try another brand, I have a benchmark on the way.

deadlift

Official LRH Sponsor
Thanks for the good words guys!!
If anyone has questions/concerns about Benchmark's barrels give me a call at the shop 360-652-2594.
Or pm me here. I'm gonna be at SHOT till sat but I will be checking my mail and getting on LRH.
But who ever you choose to make your barrel, congrats on the build and keep shooting!
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

tweek1142

what contour would you guys recommend for a walking rifle. I want the best of both worlds...if that is possible. whats the Sendaro Contour like?

7stw

what contour would you guys recommend for a walking rifle. I want the best of both worlds...if that is possible. whats the Sendaro Contour like?

You can walk around with a # 4 Brux, and the sendero contour is a little too much to carry any distance. I have done it, but if you get a deer, you put the deer on your back, and drag the gun. If your distance is reasonable, the sendero contour isn't too bad, but the 4 would be better. IMHO.

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.