New barrel

Wolf76

So my weatherby needs a new barrel. Why can't I send in my old barrel and have a new one made off the same specs (chamber, tenon length) as my old one?
I'm referring to one of the aftermarket barrel manufacturers.

Last edited:
Because Weatherby is in the business of selling you a new rifle, not fixing your old one. If they fix everybody's old guns, they don't make any big profits. And money is all they care about. Same reason they refused to even take a look at my factory-defective barrel on my Accumark .257 Wby.

Aftermarket barrel companies will do what you are asking. I'm pretty sure Bartlein, Shilen, and Pac-Nor will all do this service for you, if you request it.

But keep in mind, 2 identical barrels, will still never be identical. They might like 2 totally different bullets, 2 different powders, 2 different seating depths, etc... It's just a luck of the draw as to how similar they will be to each other.

Because Weatherby is in the business of selling you a new rifle, not fixing your old one. If they fix everybody's old guns, they don't make any big profits. And money is all they care about. Same reason they refused to even take a look at my factory-defective barrel on my Accumark .257 Wby.

Aftermarket barrel companies will do what you are asking. I'm pretty sure Bartlein, Shilen, and Pac-Nor will all do this service for you, if you request it.

But keep in mind, 2 identical barrels, will still never be identical. They might like 2 totally different bullets, 2 different powders, 2 different seating depths, etc... It's just a luck of the draw as to how similar they will be to each other.

As far as factory barrels go yes I would agree with this. But after having made a handful of the same chamberings "same reamer used" & "same chambering technique" but using different barrels im going to have to disagree, the node might be slightly different but they are generally very close. Minor seating depth and powder charges made to tune the load, but still using the same bullets and powders. But what do I know right. This is only what I have found on my personal chambered rifles. Consistency in technique is key to making that work.

I'm just looking to save some money and unscrew / screw on a new barrel. Load development is a given. Seems like many places want 250-325 to put on a new barrel. I have an action wrench and vise.

That $250-$350 isn't just for screwing a barrel on and torquing it. It is for threading the barrel tenon, cutting the chamber with a finish chambering reamer, cutting the barrel to the desired length and crowning it. There's nothing to screwing a barrel into a receiver and torquing it. That's not where the cost is. Many can do as you ask and then allow you to screw the barrel on yourself, but you won't be saving anything. Precision work costs. Just price any precision, one-off work from a machine shop. And that's what a re-barreling job is, a "one-off", precision job that requires special tooling. I will add, it makes no sense to install a 'factory' barrel. The quality of most "factory" barrels just can not compare to that of the custom barrel makers.

Why can't I send in my old barrel and have a new one made off the same specs (chamber, tenon length) as my old one?

You can for the most part, I'm sure most barrel makers can duplicate everything except the chamber. They can't properly set the headspace without your action, unless you can convert to a barrel nut. Or you can just order your barrel short chambered install it on your action and finish cutting your chamber with a T-handle and a finish reamer.

The specs for a new barrel can be derived from the old barrel,,,,,,, provided all the specs of the old barrel are correct. Because the old barrel was made in a 'production' setting, it is usually not given the care, as it is made, that a custom barrel is. The old barrels specs may be less than perfect. Sure, there are enough threads on the tenon and it screws into the action. The chamber head spaces within specs. The crown has been cut. With a "gunsmith" fit the threaded tenon will come as close as possible to the bolt without interfering with it, the head space will be at minimum (which is important for a variety of reasons) and the crown will be truly concentric to the bore as will the threads and chamber. Myself, I like the action in hand when I am fitting a new barrel so I can insure these things. I want to fire it a couple of times, too, so I can examine the fired brass that could show me any defects in my work. I want as close to 'perfect' as I can get, although in the real world 'perfect' does not exist. These days 'factory' seems to be "good enough". Maybe that's all you want, good enough. But there is more to it than just screwing a barrel on to a receiver, whether the work is done in a factory or in a gunsmiths' shop.

I'm very pleased with my Pac-Nor barrel.I'd use them again for barrel and installation.If your going to spend the money for a rebarrel job,go with the best they offer.It doesn't cost that much more.

I'm just looking to save some money and unscrew / screw on a new barrel. Load development is a given. Seems like many places want 250-325 to put on a new barrel. I have an action wrench and vise.
The question is what are you expecting to get for accuracy there are a lot of things that can be done to help accuracy and (fitting a new barrel is best left for the professionals who no how to do it safely it's a lot cheaper to do it Wright than hurt someone because you are cheap )

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.