New barrel time ?

Pac-Nor did my last one. Good barrel. Installation was fairly quick with about a 6 week turnaround including shipping. Many others might take a while just to get the barrel. Bartlein was 10 months behind when I checked.

Any of the name brands are gonna be good. Some are gonna say cut rifled are the only way but theres a few button that are every bit as good. 325.00-350.00 is gonna be price range for the barrel. Depending on how the barrel was treated as far as life but if your getting close to that 1,000 round mark you could be very well have the good out of it.
Kreiger, MTU, 1/4" fluted, 5R, Stainless, 28" long for that RUM. Send your action. They'll get it all squared up with proper headspace etc. @ $1100.00 I think. I had them thread the end of the barrel and install the Surefire muzzle brake my suppressor mounts on too.

Last edited:
3 part question in no particular order.
I was hoping to get some input on how much does a new aftermarket barrel (ballpark) cost and in general the labor to install it.
I know this one I will get different answers but which barrel makers are best and which are good that aren't the most expensive ? Maybe 4 part question.
And last what normally is the amount of rounds through the barrel before accuracy starts going away ?
This is in a 26 in. Factory 300 Rum stainless barrel.
I don't know exactly how many rounds Ive shot it but I think less than 1000. Accuracy has started to go down hill a little with same loads. The rifling is not as sharp looking anymore either.
Thanks ahead again .
Benchmark is my top pick. Check and see how many shooters at the national are shooting benchmark barrels, you will bw surprized! Good peoole, all shoiter themselves, the are doing cut and button barrels. All are hand lapped!

Benchmark is my top pick. Check and see how many shooters at the national are shooting benchmark barrels, you will bw surprized! Good peoole, all shoiter themselves, the are doing cut and button barrels. All are hand lapped!
Geez i cant type, good people, all shooters

I was hoping to get some input on how much does a new aftermarket barrel (ballpark) cost and in general the labor to install it.
I know this one I will get different answers but which barrel makers are best and which are good that aren't the most expensive ? Maybe 4 part question.
And last what normally is the amount of rounds through the barrel before accuracy starts going away ?
I don't know exactly how many rounds Ive shot it but I think less than 1000. Accuracy has started to go down hill a little with same loads. The rifling is not as sharp looking anymore either.
Thanks ahead again .
ER Shaw is a good barrel maker, and they have a list of services with what it cost. Check thier site out, it will give you a comparison to other barrel manufacturers.

Thanks ahead again .

Sometimes you can buy a whole new Rifle for the same price or less than having a gunsmith do a rebarrel for you.
I have a 300 RUM that I have shot more reloads thru than I can count, but my reloads are never charged with max loads and I take the time to let the barrel cool when it's heating up, I think you can get more life out of your barrel if you follow certain shooting practices and that goes for all Rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.