New barrel issue?

thlacy

I just purchased an allegedly new, top end AR barrel to replace one that was shot out. The company I bought it from is also generally well regarded and said they had a barrel meeting my needs from a cancelled order saving me a long wait. I took a look with a bore scope before shooting it and noticed a few things. I recently got the bore scope so don't have a lot of experience looking down numerous barrels. There was significant copper fouling (pics are after cleaning) and patches with copper solvent came out very blue. There was also good sized defect at edge of the gas port, which I know isn't totally avoidable but there were also a bunch of pits just after the port. I think that a burr was knocked off from the barrel being shot already and those fragments pitted the barrel. I'm going to shoot it tomorrow and see how it does. I'm a little annoyed that I paid over $500 for a barrel that looks rougher than
C32EC025-B28A-42A5-9E27-E22A057B0334.jpeg
DC70F51C-B0B4-414F-ABF9-416276D22FB1.jpeg
31729EA8-1818-4E63-9E6C-CDD04DC41AB5.jpeg
3AAE2377-DD05-421B-9045-CCA9670D5A06.jpeg
cheaper ones I own and that appears to have been shot a bit. I didn't install barrel and it may have been test fired but I doubt it. Alternatively maybe somebody returned it.

Single point cut rifling. Shot it today and it was a little picky with different loads but consistently shot .6-.7 MOA 5 shot groups with 77 grain Berger Tac OTM's and 24.1 gn Reloder 15. This load happened to shoot well in another gun so I haven't done any real load development yet and may be able to do better.

Had i purchased a custom, single point cut rifled barrel that looked like that, i too would be disappointed with the standard of internal finish.

I hope you get it shooting. Maybe send the pics to the manufacturer and ask if they think it is acceptable.

I dont think it matters whether its a custom button or cut barrel neither should look like that, both will shoot equally well.
I was trying to figure out if maybe in the button process if there was something in the lube or metal particles that could have got impregnated in the barrel during the button process. Regardless I would want a different barrel it could very well shot alright but copper foul more that exceptable.

Last edited:
I've never heard of NEW Barrels being shot,.. UNLESS,... on Rifles !
Barrel Manufacturers,.. Mic em' and ship em' !
Looks like, you got, a USED (returned ) Barrel !
Since YOU shot it, you,.. OWN IT !
Try cleaning / Polishing with, JB's, "slathered" on a Patch over, a Bronze Brush to "Polish" the sharp edges of Rifling / Throat in Barrel. THIS will Help Barrel to NOT "Hold", Copper !
About, 12 -15 "Strokes" and Clean,. WELL,.. before, shooting !

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about, the small "Pits", as Bullets are,.. "Honkin on" going down, the Barrel !
Usually not much effect on Accuracy, unless,.. lots of, them !
OR, at the Crown.
Polish as stated above and let them fill up, with Copper.

Seems very odd to me to have a 'new' barrel with copper in it.
Honestly, I would be sending it back.
Their description of it being 'new' was false and regardless that you installed and shot it makes no difference.
It was returned for a reason in the first place.

Cheers.

I just purchased an allegedly new, top end AR barrel to replace one that was shot out. The company I bought it from is also generally well regarded and said they had a barrel meeting my needs from a cancelled order saving me a long wait. I took a look with a bore scope before shooting it and noticed a few things. I recently got the bore scope so don't have a lot of experience looking down numerous barrels. There was significant copper fouling (pics are after cleaning) and patches with copper solvent came out very blue. There was also good sized defect at edge of the gas port, which I know isn't totally avoidable but there were also a bunch of pits just after the port. I think that a burr was knocked off from the barrel being shot already and those fragments pitted the barrel. I'm going to shoot it tomorrow and see how it does. I'm a little annoyed that I paid over $500 for a barrel that looks rougher thanView attachment 284853View attachment 284854View attachment 284855View attachment 284856 cheaper ones I own and that appears to have been shot a bit. I didn't install barrel and it may have been test fired but I doubt it. Alternatively maybe somebody returned it.
I just purchased an allegedly new, top end AR barrel to replace one that was shot out. The company I bought it from is also generally well regarded and said they had a barrel meeting my needs from a cancelled order saving me a long wait. I took a look with a bore scope before shooting it and noticed a few things. I recently got the bore scope so don't have a lot of experience looking down numerous barrels. There was significant copper fouling (pics are after cleaning) and patches with copper solvent came out very blue. There was also good sized defect at edge of the gas port, which I know isn't totally avoidable but there were also a bunch of pits just after the port. I think that a burr was knocked off from the barrel being shot already and those fragments pitted the barrel. I'm going to shoot it tomorrow and see how it does. I'm a little annoyed that I paid over $500 for a barrel that looks rougher thanView attachment 284853View attachment 284854View attachment 284855View attachment 284856 cheaper ones I own and that appears to have been shot a bit. I didn't install barrel and it may have been test fired but I doubt it. Alternatively maybe somebody returned it.
I'd contact the company that sold it to you and send the pics, ask them if they can explain why this barrel is in the condition
it's in. Let us know what they said.

I have had to return a couple of barrels for my bench rifle that did not meet the quality standards I wanted. All manufactures will inadvertently let a t*rd slip through QC every now and then. However, if you are polite and explain the situation, I have found the shooting sports is a fraternity where the companies mostly believe their reputation and customer service is paramount to their long term success. The barrel does look like it has been shot but if it holds less than a 1" MOA grouping I would recommend shooting it and continue with load development. I have seen barrels that looked much worse that shot well. Wish you the best with this situation.

The supposedly, "New" barrel, should have been sent back, immediately, BEFORE Installation and YOU shooting it !
NOW,.. I'd Polish it with, JB's, a bit,.. and,..
just shoot it, as it's grouping, pretty well, already !
And forget about,.. the "Pits" !
Adjust, bullet depth's and Powder chg's, to see if it can do, a little, better.
Life's Short, learn from, THIS Experience and,.. move on !

Last edited: