Barrel issue ?? Strange

The round that has the blue / green is aggressive corrosion. That is more than moisture in the barrel, in my opinion. You should be able to load a round in the chamber and lay your rifle in the bath tub full of water, and not get that green / blue showing up on the round. It is localize in one specific location. Based on what the photos shows, I say it is chemical related corrosion.
1) do you have any bore scope photos of the throat area and the bore? You could have some damage in the throat area of your barrel.
2) Are those factory rounds? How old are they?
3) What do you store your ammo in? I have seen leather ammo wallets cause this after getting wet, but not in 24 hours and not so localized.
4) Some of those spray cleaners 'can' be corrosive, so read the label closely. I try to use gun specific cleaners.
5) A dry patch is not sufficient to remove the cleaning fluid from the barrel. It will likely take several dry patches on a properly sized jag.
6) As far as carbon rings go, this corrosion (blue / green photo) is in the area where a carbon ring could be. You can't tell if you have a carbon ring by 'feel', you need a bore scope to know for sure.
7) During the 24 hour time period that the one round turned blue, I am assuming you stored your rifle with the barrel up?? This would allow any residual fluid in the bore or on the crown to run down the bore and 'pool' against the loaded round.

Just my thoughts, hope this helps

I have a 22lr with suppressor and if I take it off and put it back on poi shifts enough to adversely affect squirrel hunting. I take mine off twice a year and clean whether needs it or not, and it is usually fairly dirty. I will just have to take a chance on corrosion as that is less painful than listening to my son whine about poor accuracy and resighting frequently.
If you don't want to remove your suppressor, which I can understand, make a rack so you can store your 22 with the muzzle pointing down.

If this rifle is blued, I bet bluing acids are leaching out from the barrel threads.
Have seen this on a Marlin 336. It had to be dunked in neutraliser to fix it.
If not, then SOMETHING with an acid in it is leaching from somewhere.
Have you borescoped the barrel yet?

Cheers.

As gunpowder burns, ammonia is created. One can feel this in one's eye in shooting a suppressed AR without glasses. Take a look at what ammonia can do to copper; internet search or do some home experimenting. You may see a similar result. Also apply some of each of your cleaning solvents to a bullet and compare the results.
And don't forget: regardless of what you think it can or cannot be, your bullet is corroding. Look objectively and you will more easily find the answer.

I have found that after cleaning a rile with a muzzle brake installed there are a lot of cleaning fluids left in the brake. I'd expect that this would be worse with a supressor installed. Because of that, if I don't remove the brake, I always store my rifle muzzle down so the solvents do not drain into the barrel/action.

Hello guys like several of the coments i would most definitely say over cleaning! But what got my attention was the fact of going from warm house to cold outside or the other way around. I live in Florida, it has been really hard to get some friends to understand the fact of the sweating affect. It is real and can be bad, most with the smaller faster bullets 223 22-250 and alike but will not be good at any pressure with moisture in the barrel.

Bringing in cold gun to warm house will definitely sweat. If cartridge left in chamber could cause some corrosion, but that one ( blue one) shouldn't cause that much in such short time. Areyou swabbing the chamber out and neutralizing with alcohol. Any excess oils ect in chamber could cause pressure spike.

The round that has the blue / green is aggressive corrosion. That is more than moisture in the barrel, in my opinion. You should be able to load a round in the chamber and lay your rifle in the bath tub full of water, and not get that green / blue showing up on the round. It is localize in one specific location. Based on what the photos shows, I say it is chemical related corrosion.
1) do you have any bore scope photos of the throat area and the bore? You could have some damage in the throat area of your barrel.
2) Are those factory rounds? How old are they?
3) What do you store your ammo in? I have seen leather ammo wallets cause this after getting wet, but not in 24 hours and not so localized.
4) Some of those spray cleaners 'can' be corrosive, so read the label closely. I try to use gun specific cleaners.
5) A dry patch is not sufficient to remove the cleaning fluid from the barrel. It will likely take several dry patches on a properly sized jag.
6) As far as carbon rings go, this corrosion (blue / green photo) is in the area where a carbon ring could be. You can't tell if you have a carbon ring by 'feel', you need a bore scope to know for sure.
7) During the 24 hour time period that the one round turned blue, I am assuming you stored your rifle with the barrel up?? This would allow any residual fluid in the bore or on the crown to run down the bore and 'pool' against the loaded round.

Just my thoughts, hope this helps
I don't have any pics from bore scope.
They are factory Hornady 108 ELDMs all new from same lot loaded ammo. No reloads.
Ammo stores in factory box.
I don't use spray cleaners. I go specifically by Montana Xtreme recommendations from start to finish. They are my neighbor and gave me the how to "cleaning tour" of you will.
Several dry patches were used after a few bore conditioners. Too be sure all chemicals were gone, we sprayed entire chamber with carb cleaner (seemed strange) but we did. Then went back through with bore conditioner and then dry patches.
It was bore scoped after all the cleaning to see if carbon ring or fouling was present and none that we could see.
And again, rifle was stored with bipod deployed in the position so mostly horizontal.
Hope that helps answer all those questions. I appreciate the help.

If this rifle is blued, I bet bluing acids are leaching out from the barrel threads.
Have seen this on a Marlin 336. It had to be dunked in neutraliser to fix it.
If not, then SOMETHING with an acid in it is leaching from somewhere.
Have you borescoped the barrel yet?

Cheers.

Factory Savage 6 Creedmoor non stainless

Again.... the first time this happened was BEFORE I ever cleaned the rifle and it was new from Scheels.

Here's what I'll try. It has 80-90 rounds down again from over the weekend of shooting steel.

I'll clean the rifle (like I normally would)
Completely swab out chamber/throat like normal
Bore scope with pics.
Keep supressor off.
Make sure muzzle brake is completely free of solvents/cleaners
Store in warm temp.
Lay horizontally.
Leave sit without bullet for a day.
Load a dummy load (no powder or primer) and leave in chamber for 24 hours.
See what happens and I'll post pics.

The suppressor is a real trap. As much cleaning as you have done, when you push that copper solvent towards the muzzle and suppressor, its dripping into that suppressor.
It always drips out of any rifle I clean on that first pass to the muzzle. Is your suppressor capable of disassembly and cleaning?
Something is fermenting those bullets.

The suppressor is a real trap. As much cleaning as you have done, when you push that copper solvent towards the muzzle and suppressor, its dripping into that suppressor.
It always drips out of any rifle I clean on that first pass to the muzzle. Is your suppressor capable of disassembly and cleaning?
Something is fermenting those bullets.

Thanks Bob.....and I may have failed to mention but the supressor is always removed before any cleaning is done. The muzzle brake and threads are cleaned up before supressor is out back on.
Thanks

Thanks Bob.....and I may have failed to mention but the supressor is always removed before any cleaning is done. The muzzle brake and threads are cleaned up before supressor is out back on.
Thanks
I would check the action and bottom metal for residual solvent/ammonia. Use a chamber guide? Mop the chamber after? Somewhere this stuff is hiding.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.