New barrel for a 7mm Weatherby

Maybe take a look at 28 nosler. The 7MM Weatherby Magnum freebore is .378 it's a pretty big jump and you will not be able to get close to the lands.
As far as the Nosler 28 goes...That is my dream gun.. Can't see dropping over 6k for rifle and scope at the moment or in the distant future. Maybe if I receive an unknown inheritance... GW

Dude, go with the blued action, wood stock, and a bright stainless barrel. That just screams "old-school custom". Which is one of my favorite looks for a rifle.

I found this on Google... But doesn't it look nice.

c3855f8e40ea587b96d1f09d91868585.jpg

Dude, go with the blued action, wood stock, and a bright stainless barrel. That just screams "old-school custom". Which is one of my favorite looks for a rifle.

I found this on Google... But doesn't it look nice.

c3855f8e40ea587b96d1f09d91868585.jpg
Lol. Just saw this. I do like that look. Probably leaning towards stainless now.

No problem. I ordered my barrel from hart and I just received an email from them today that it's on the way. It took 10 weeks, bartlein would have been 5-6months.

When you get your new barrel just have it chamberd in 28 nosler. All you would need is a reamer your boltface will work with that cartridge. .28 Nosler Reamer - $148.00 : Pacific Tool and Gauge, The largest Global manufacturer of custom chamber reamers for the firearms industry
Not in all cases... Some Weatherbys have to have a longer mag box and follower. I believe you would have to have one for a .300/.340 Weatherby. I'm pretty sure the mag box and follower for the .257/.270/ and 7mm Wby cases (since they all use the same case) are shorter than the mag box and follower for the .300 & .340 Wby factory rifles, because the .300 & .340 Wby both use the same case, and it is longer than the others.

AFAIK Krieger still makes the accumark barrels.

But

If you are interested in the 28-Nosler, the only choice after the 7Weatherby (LOL/not really), Benchmark, 8, 8.5 or 9 twist.

They can do a Weatherby #2 profile or an Accumark/#3 profile.

Changing to 28-nosler requires 3 simple things you or your smith can do.
Remove the spacer in the magazine box.
Replace the follower with one for a 300 Weatherby
Extend the bolt stop slot in the bolt.

If you go with a #3 profile barrel, some inletting work will be required.

Take this as you will, I have more than 5 Mark Vs. I have made 4 versions of the xx-nosler including the 28 (7mm). If you open your project up to a different cartridge, IIWM I would go:
28-Nosler
26" or 28" (28 preferred by me)
Benchmark barrel
8 twist
#3/Accumark profile or Sendero, fluted.
Float the barrel
Check the bedding - would probably bed the full action

This better be what I would do because I'm doing it. Except this time the barrel will be a Proof Research.

AFAIK Krieger still makes the accumark barrels.

But

If you are interested in the 28-Nosler, the only choice after the 7Weatherby (LOL/not really), Benchmark, 8, 8.5 or 9 twist.

They can do a Weatherby #2 profile or an Accumark/#3 profile.

Changing to 28-nosler requires 3 simple things you or your smith can do.
Remove the spacer in the magazine box.
Replace the follower with one for a 300 Weatherby
Extend the bolt stop slot in the bolt.

If you go with a #3 profile barrel, some inletting work will be required.

Take this as you will, I have more than 5 Mark Vs. I have made 4 versions of the xx-nosler including the 28 (7mm). If you open your project up to a different cartridge, IIWM I would go:
28-Nosler
26" or 28" (28 preferred by me)
Benchmark barrel
8 twist
#3/Accumark profile or Sendero, fluted.
Float the barrel
Check the bedding - would probably bed the full action

This better be what I would do because I'm doing it. Except this time the barrel will be a Proof Research.

Krieger cut-rifled barrels haven't been used by Weatherby in a long time, except for in the custom shop. The Accumarks use Criterion button-rifled barrels, as well as the Mark V barrels.

Weatherby Nation

I would like stainless but I'm not sure how I would like the look with a blued receiver...Just another decision I need to make. Blued would probably be better.

If you want a stainless the same contour as your original, you can scratch Krieger off your list.

Definitely want a cut rifled barrel. As far as the same contour goes it is not necessarily a deal breaker if the same contour is not available as long as the stock can be adapted.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.