new barrel for a Savage

Randy dawson

Lookin at a new barrel for a savage 114. Wanting to stay in .270 mainly shoot 150 gr Nosler lr accubond. What is a good barrel manufacture, rifling and twist rate. I was looking at the x-caliber but there's a lot of options to choose from.

Ordered a Shilen for my savage about a month ago. They said 3-4mo manufacturing time but they just called and it's ready!!!

All those barrel makers are good but if it's as good as my past Shilen barrels you won't beat it for the money and service!
James

What is a good barrel manufacture,
You won't go wrong with any of the selections listed above. Allow me to throw in another consideration for your Savage. I ordered from this gentleman once for a 110 re-barrel project in .338-06. I was supplied with a pre-fit Green Mountain barrel and it shot great and was the demise of several Whitetails until I sold the barreled action to a member here who is still smashing Whitetails with it. Have Fun! 👍

You won't go wrong with any of the selections listed above. Allow me to throw in another consideration for your Savage. I ordered from this gentleman once for a 110 re-barrel project in .338-06. I was supplied with a pre-fit Green Mountain barrel and it shot great and was the demise of several Whitetails until I sold the barreled action to a member here who is still smashing Whitetails with it. Have Fun! 👍

I have a Green Mountain barrel on my AR and it's been extremely accurate.

+1 on Jim at Bison ... he's currently waiting on my x-calibur 5r to arrive so he can chamber my 30 Sherman ... this will be my 4th barrel from Jim. First 3 are all Green Mountains and All have shot quite well. Only reason I went x-caliber for this one was the 5r requirement ...

I hesitated to post this - partly because I think Jim is "trying" to retire ... and partly because I want him to be available to build barrels for ME ... 🤣

EDIT/ADD: I should have stated the only reason I "stepped UP" (in price) to the x-caliber was the 5r req ... the Green Mountains I have shoot - I expect no less from the x-caliber - just a bit higher price tag ...

Last edited:
Only reason I went x-caliber for this one was the 5r requirement ...
I have a pre-fit from X-caliber 1:7" 5R 26" for my .264 WM and is <1 MOA at 200Y with cheap factory ammo during barrel break-in. It is built to propel the 156 Berger. Load development will start as soon as I find some spare time. :(

Good luck with your build.

.264 WM barrel break-in 1 of 3.jpg

.264 WM barrel break-in 3 of 3.jpg

Last edited:
I got two from bug holes.com. One Krieger and one Bartlein. Very pleased with both. As stated, any premium barrel will be a big upgrade. If not in accuracy you see a huge difference when cleaning. My experience with X-Caliber was very good as well but in an AR platform.

I went with a 1:8T Criterion for my 7mm Rem Mag. Ordered from Northland Shooters Supply who also sell Shilen barrels. The only thing with Criterion is they seem to have a limited amount of twist rates for certain calibers. I would also look at ragged hole barrels who provide wilson prefits which appear to be a good value but I don't have first hand experience. I have nothing against the 270 at all, have a 270 Win and it's a real hammer with 160 gr partitions, but depending on your budget and timeframe it might be easier to find a 7mm barrel in a 1:8 or 1:9 twist that will do everything you want to do with the 270. 280 or 280 ai would be good options too if your not locked into the 270.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.