New AR Build Caliber

Which caliber for a new AR Build to hunt and punch paper?

• 223 Wylde

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • 22 Nosler

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 6mm ARC

Votes: 34 63.0%
  • 6.8 SPC

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • 300 HAM'R

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
In the 300 category I'd take the ham'r over the bo only because of not shooting over 150grs. I like my 6.5's, but the 6.8spc is tough to beat from what I've shot. Nosler will be a downfall as many experience extraction/ejection issue with the rebated rim (and some don't have any issues). The arc...............well you only gain bc's and heavier bullet choices. I'd take the wylde over the 5.56 chamber if deciding on a 22cal. If you reload I'd go the 6.8spc, if not take the wylde side.

In the 300 category I'd take the ham'r over the bo only because of not shooting over 150grs. I like my 6.5's, but the 6.8spc is tough to beat from what I've shot. Nosler will be a downfall as many experience extraction/ejection issue with the rebated rim (and some don't have any issues). The arc...............well you only gain bc's and heavier bullet choices. I'd take the wylde over the 5.56 chamber if deciding on a 22cal. If you reload I'd go the 6.8spc, if not take the wylde side.
I built a 6.8 a while back and was pretty underwhelmed with it. It offered me nothing over the 6.5 Grendel that I already had. Now ammo is almost non existent for the 6.8 which would sway me even further away.

I built a 6.8 a while back and was pretty underwhelmed with it. It offered me nothing over the 6.5 Grendel that I already had. Now ammo is almost non existent for the 6.8 which would sway me even further away.
It's being that way with lots of ammo. If you don't reload then getting what you want can be difficult. Anything using small primers is a plus as they're easier to find. If you don't use nosler, Barnes and some bergrs for reloading you're stuck with even more limitations. I seldom shoot past 600 yards, so I don't lose anything by the 6.8spc. BC's are little of no concern on either green or spc c in cause I don't shoot mid to heavy bullets in either. I favor my 26cals in most cases! I have more cartridges in that caliber than any other.

Well, three polls on different sites and the answer is overwhelming.

6mm ARC it is.
Got my armorers kit and the lower parts ordered. Time to shop and get to work.

AR Build Poll.jpg

Well, three polls on different sites and the answer is overwhelming.

6mm ARC it is.
Got my armorers kit and the lower parts ordered. Time to shop and get to work.

View attachment 455170
I sure like mine. It's my Dedicated coyote rig, but I can shoot heavier bullets for deer for a smalll cartridge It's fairly versatile and very accurate.plus I can use small or large primers depending on my brass choice.
IMG_4043.jpeg

Of the ones you have listed, I would recommend the Wylde.

But, because this is an internet forum and nobody ever stays on topic (sorry), my recommendation is a 6X45. Doesn't offer a whole lot more than a fast twist .223 other than being able to shoot heavier bullets in standard AR length mags. That, and the cool factor.
I have an upper in that caliber. I'll add my recommendation,

My first AR Build was the .223 Wylde (many, many years ago). Mostly due to available ammo and components. However, the 6mm ARC is interesting in AR Platform (lack of ammo and components). However, i did build one and was lucky enough to get the components needed to build one and shoot it. The 6mm ARC in AR platform out shoots my .223 wylde.

The best kept secret in Highpower is the 6 WOA round.
White Oak Armament chambers for this round. Easy to form
shoots quite well. Run the 6.8 through the sizing die easy as
can be done. Just my 2c. :cool:

I have used .223/5.56 ARs for many deer and they work fine but use proper bullets.

Most of my deer, AR hunting now is done with a 6.8SPC using 120gr SSTs. I would like to try NABs but they have been sold out whenever I look. I prefer the extra weight and diameter of the 6.8 over the .224 for deer. I have taken deer out to 250 yards with a 6.8.

I am considering getting a 6mm ARC built for deer and plinking but it's low on the priority list right now. I would think the heavy 6mm bullets would be dynamite on WT and normal hunting ranges.

Hmm a 300 HAM'R using a really fast twist barrel and a Badlands bullet has me thinking. Given your parameters it seems like a 6MM ARC is the ticket. But dang bambam is very experienced so heck a 223/ 5.56 with a 77 SMK is still on the table. I might go that route as I have a 1-7" 5.56 Colt barrel in stock.

Hmm a 300 HAM'R using a really fast twist barrel and a Badlands bullet has me thinking. Given your parameters it seems like a 6MM ARC is the ticket. But dang bambam is very experienced so heck a 223/ 5.56 with a 77 SMK is still on the table. I might go that route as I have a 1-7" 5.56 Colt barrel in stock.

If you are going after WTs and want to try the 77 TMKs, just howler.. I'll hook you up