New AR Build Caliber

Which caliber for a new AR Build to hunt and punch paper?

• 223 Wylde

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • 22 Nosler

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 6mm ARC

Votes: 34 63.0%
  • 6.8 SPC

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • 300 HAM'R

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
I built a 6mm ARC last year and am slowly wringing it out. It has been an absolute tack driver so far with nearly everything I have put through it. It is definitely a mutt, built with a hodgepodge of parts. The barrel is an EABCO Accuracy barrel(https://www.eabco.net/eabco-6mm-arc-barrel-fits-ar15-rifles-24-inch-hbar-stainless.html)1/7.5 twist 24" stainless heavy profile. The trigger is by Timney. The buttstock is a PRS by Magpul and the grip is a Chubby by MDT. It has shot everything under an inch with most doing better than that. I performed all the quick and easy accuracy mods along the way, to include squaring the receiver face and bedding the barrel extension with Loctite. There are some excellent threads on AR15.com and Snipers Hide detailing accuracy mods that you can do during your build. Good luck with whatever you choose. I definitely recommend the EABCO barrel given how well mine shoots. If you are going to lap your lugs, I can send you a custom 6ARC lapping cartridge that I made during my build.

My 6mm ARC AR-15 2.jpg

Great choice, it's what I voted for! However, I can't believe you don't have a 223 Wylde! I guess you don't need it with the cartridges you've got, but to not have an AR in 556/223 is unusual.

Good on you and range report when you have a chance 😂

I built a 6mm ARC last year and am slowly wringing it out. It has been an absolute tack driver so far with nearly everything I have put through it. It is definitely a mutt, built with a hodgepodge of parts. The barrel is an EABCO Accuracy barrel(https://www.eabco.net/eabco-6mm-arc-barrel-fits-ar15-rifles-24-inch-hbar-stainless.html)1/7.5 twist 24" stainless heavy profile. The trigger is by Timney. The buttstock is a PRS by Magpul and the grip is a Chubby by MDT. It has shot everything under an inch with most doing better than that. I performed all the quick and easy accuracy mods along the way, to include squaring the receiver face and bedding the barrel extension with Loctite. There are some excellent threads on AR15.com and Snipers Hide detailing accuracy mods that you can do during your build. Good luck with whatever you choose. I definitely recommend the EABCO barrel given how well mine shoots. If you are going to lap your lugs, I can send you a custom 6ARC lapping cartridge that I made during my build.

View attachment 455349
That is a sweet looking rifle. I am not sure what all I am going to do, yet. Being my first build, I will be taking meticulous time. I have not seen the EABCO barrel. I was looking at a 20" Ballistic Advantage barrel.

I appreciate the offer on the lapping cartridge. Let me get a little further along and I will give you a shout.

I did just order an Aero Precision lower. I am not doing a super expensive build, but I will not be cheaping out either (as I usually do, haha).

That is a sweet looking rifle. I am not sure what all I am going to do, yet. Being my first build, I will be taking meticulous time. I have not seen the EABCO barrel. I was looking at a 20" Ballistic Advantage barrel.

I appreciate the offer on the lapping cartridge. Let me get a little further along and I will give you a shout.

I did just order an Aero Precision lower. I am not doing a super expensive build, but I will not be cheaping out either (as I usually do, haha).

Find a Bravo company upper heat to fit upper. They provide best fit to the barrel extension without bedding.

Here's a good read for you.

Also, do your due diligence on different methods of squaring the receiver face. Lots of discussions online, and draw your own conclusion.

Last edited:
Well, three polls on different sites and the answer is overwhelming.

6mm ARC it is.
Got my armorers kit and the lower parts ordered. Time to shop and get to work.

View attachment 455170
That's because everybody has to jump on the newest fad train. As I stated earlier based on your cartridges you already have, you really gain nothing with the 6ARC.

That's because everybody has to jump on the newest fad train. As I stated earlier based on your cartridges you already have, you really gain nothing with the 6ARC.
Except a new cartridge to reload, shoot and try for yourself. I suppose with the component shortage it gives you an alternative you MAY be able to find components for.