New Allen Mag in the works....

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Well, I got a call fron my friend Richard Graves a couple weeks back which generally results in me spending more money on a new Reamer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Anway, he passed on to me that there was a rumor that there would be some heavier jacketed 224 bullets coming out of Wildcat Bullets here in the very near future. Now I was thinking 90 gr pills, but its seems Richard has bigger plans a brewin'.

Seems there will be a 100 gr and a 107 gr bullet, yes, .224"!!! Projected BCs for these bullets are extremely impressive and vastly superior to anything offered yet in the .224" family of bullets.

I will not give out the estimated BC values as this is all they are at the moment as we have not been able to test them and we all know what kind of a fuss that can create /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

I will say though that the BC of these bullets will be higher then say............a 200 gr 308 Accubond!!!

I also beleive that he used a heavier 6mm jacket and reduced it to 224 to create a heavy jacketed bullet for the 224 rounds which will be excellent for hunting up to deer size game or even better, yotes at extreme range or pronghorns as well.

Now that Richard has performed his magic again, it was my turn to try to catch up, you guessed it, a 224 Allen Mag. Totally new case design from the other Allen Mags but still offering more velocity, flatter trajectory and harder hitting then any other 224 ever released that I know of, at least on paper!!!

Again no details yet on the case or velocity specs except to say that an 80 or 90 gr Sierra MK at 3400-3500 fps is going to seem pretty mild when the 224 Allen Mag starts ripping a 107 gr ULD RBBT down range.

More to come soon, for now just a tease /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif!!!

Have a good night.

Kirby Allen(50)

If you keep coming up with these things, my wife is gonna kill you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Also, keep in mind that my Savage .243 will probably be needing a new bbl in about a year and it is a short action /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Bill,

I get that alot from my friends wives. Its really not me doing anything!!!!

The nice thing about the Savage is that we can change out the bolt head for a magnum bolt face.

YOu want a 1500 yard 22 cal rifle???

I'm not very nice, give your wife my apologies!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby what will be the parent case for the .224 allen mag? Sounds interesting. My wife is not a Kirby fan as well. He has built me 4 rifles so far with number 5 and 6 in process. I keep showing her these little bug hole groups and she just sighs. She says she doenst understand, i say i dont understand why clothes have to match big dollar hand bags. Ha! Keep them coming Kirby, i can alway postpone retirement for a few years.

i have the same idea of making 22 cal play with the big boys. I have 250 of richards 100 grain .224's at home right know. I bought a 6.5 twist pac-nor barrel to try. My only delay is a have to re-chamber the barrel. I am going with the 22 dasher on the 28in super match. I think i should be able to shoot the 100's around 3000 FPS. i think the dasher with laupa brass and richards 100's will equal a 6.5 -284 with 142's. i think the dasher has the right things going to be a excellent 1000 yard br cartidge. i think the 100 grainer will have to have a bc of around .650 but will have to do some testing. I had a 22-243 imp with a 27 in barrel that would shoot 80 sierras around 3650 FPS, I think the 22-243 improved would shoot the 107 at around 3100 to 3200 FPS in a 30 inch tube. The great thing about the 22-243 imp is the laupa brass and increased performance that makes a little .224 play with the big magnums. I think my 6.5 twist should stablize the 100's and 107's. My 8 twist 22 BR is stablizing 90 grain sierra's. So i Think I sould be safe with the 6.5 twist. What twist are you going to go with in .224 allen mag. Good luck and give me a holler if you need so 100 grainer to test, I have a box just sitting their waiting. Good Luck with your newest project. it should be a winner

Fiftydriver,
I'm an old man! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Are you trying to give me a heart attack?
I'd like to have a 338 EDGE from Shawn Carlock, 6.5-284 from Chris Matthews, a 7MM Allen Mag, and now this!!!! Are the Daultons still in bussiness? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Reed Mosser,

I think you will be in fine shape with the 1-6.5 twist with the 100 gr Wildcats and I suspect your veloccity goals will be reached as well.

The BC predictions I have seen for the 100 gr bullet is not quite .650. They are predicted to be in the .620 range but still!!!! This is also just a prediction so until we get the bullets in the air we simply do not know for sure.

I would expect a 1-8 to handle the 100 gr pills in my Allen Mag. With the 107 gr ULD RBBTs I will use a 1-7 twist to make sure.

I think Richard has some 224 heavies headed my way so I should be ready by the time the reamer gets here.

Let us know how that Dasher works for you. I bet it will be a sweet shooting gun and offer 1000 yard potential easily!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Eaglet I'm having the same trouble as you my friend.
The only difference is I already have a 270 AM in the works and I'm working extra OT as we speak so I can get a 6.5 .284
on the way. I saw the Edge and I find myself asking for more OT work and then the 22 Allen Magnum jumps to life to add to the list of AM's with the 7mm Allen Mag! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
WHeeww I don't know if I can get anymore hours but I'm gonna try for sure! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
At this rate I won't have to worry about burning barrels on any of my new rigs cause I'm gonna be too busy sleeping trying to catch up for all the days I didn't! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Oh well you gotta pay to play is what I always been told!
I better get back to work before they decide to cut my hours instead of giving me more! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby what am I gonna do with you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
You keep dreaming up new toys that a mans just gotta have and what do I do??
I say to myself I gotta have one! or two!! or Three!!!
Hell I want em all!
Keep up the good work Kirby and keep us informed on all the newest Allen Mags.

Oh well you gotta start somewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Anybody need a good house in N.C.?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
How Bout a truck or two?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks, 7RUMloader, for being and understanding friend!
Now I don't feel like I'm all alone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I did also think about my house... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
At this rate I won't have to worry about burning barrels on any of my new rigs cause I'm gonna be too busy sleeping trying to catch up for all the days I didn't!
Oh well you gotta pay to play is what I always been told!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL... YOU ARE RIGHT THOUGH!

Don't work to much!

guys, we really didn't hear much about the parent case but a reamer is on the way. hummmm. i'm guessin the RSAUM or the WSM case. my personal pick would be the remmy for a 22.if this case is anything like it's siblings,fiftydriver will have to be renamed "Mr. Overbore"

Eaglet,

I would highly recommend you get all three of the rifles you list from each of us. I know for a fact you will love every one of these rifles and rounds as I know these other two guys you list put everything they have into their rifles just as I try to do myself.

I know I make a quality product but I am also honored to have my name in the same sentence as these two fine men!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

7RUMloader,

You know this is not all my fault, My good friend Richard graves comes up with these falt out insane bullet ideas the at first I think, "What the hell, is that even possible?"

Then I think back when I thought the same exact thing about a 156 gr ULD RBBT .257" bullet sitting on a 100gr powder capacity case and it worked out better then I ever expected.

Then I though the same thing with a 169.5 gr 270 bullet and the idea of a 1000 yard 270 round.

Now with several one shot rockchuck kills at +1000 yards with the SPORTER 270 AM, I do not think that any more.

So when Richard called me up with the idea for a 200 gr ULD RBBT for SScoyotes 1 mile handgun project, I instantly started thinking 7mm Allen Mag.

Now when he calls up with a 100 and 107 gr ULD RBBT .224" bullet, what can I do. The man has never let me down and its almost a challange to push things over the limit now.

That said, I do not feel the 224 Allen Mag is over the limit with todays powder and Richards bullets. With any other bullets on the market, maybe but not with these pills!

To be honest, I am at least as excited to get the 224 AM up and running as I am the monster 338 AM.

SO please give Richard his half of the credit and BLAME on all these new rounds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

And to you Richard, thank you my friend!

Kirby Allen(50)

Dave,

Its all settled at least for this prototype version of the 224 Allen Mag. Like the 270 AM there may or may bot be a revised version before final release, we will see.

About the 224 Allen Mag parent case. I would agree that the SAUM ca case is the best choice for this round, BUT, it will not be around long I fear as the WSMs are kicking the hell out of them in sales. I think you know from that what case I am using /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

Personally I am out to prove that the term Overbore has as much to do with bullet selection as case volume. So far I think things have been going well. Time will tell though my friend.

Mr. Overbore is much better then some nicknames I have picked up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.