new 7mag, want it to be a 400 yarder +

You will sometimes find that the medium weight bullets in standard or regular magnums are sometimes hard to beat ballistically. Sometimes the big bullets cant be launched fast enough to take advantage. However, a 150g or 160g out of a 7 mag is hard to beat for 400+. A lot better choice then any 120g and some 140's.

I have a 7 mag and had a bit of difficulty getting the 120 TSX to group. I think because the bullet can be seated quite long in my rifle, to the point where there wasn't 2/3 of the bullet touching the neck. Accuracy was ~ MOA, but not less.

For your purposes, and for Coues sized game, I think you'll be fine with any of the middle of the road bullet weights, 140, 150, and up to 162 for 500 yards and under. My preference would be the 150 wt. class first, but given the that you have 140 ABs on hand, I think you'll be pleased.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts