180gvld Berger 7mag?

I have a 1.8 twist criterion barrel.
Quick question. When you rebarreled did you have your action trued??? I have a 1-8" X Caliber Remage that I am about to complete. I did read where one fella here recommended only squaring the action face, however I am an ex-Benchrest shooter, and also used to shoot 1000 yards often, and I prefer smaller groups! :cool:

Thanks in Advance! Ps. I'll be shooting Berger 180s as well. :)

I used 180 Berger HVLD's in a custom rifle and got pretty consistent .25 MOA accuracy for around 800 rounds. I used H4831SC for 2990 FPS. Bullets shot best in that barrel seated to the lands. I shot a bunch of marmots at over 1K with the furthest being 1402. I've had great accuracy with Berger bullets in several rifles.

Mindcrime the face has been trued and the bolt lugs lapped, it's in a Mesa Altitude stock bedded. I shot today 66g retumbo fed 215m 180vld hunting .010, .050, .090, .130 and the best group was .050 I made six rounds of each test and shot two 3 shot groups. The .050 shot the best both times just one ragged hole. Don't know what the velocity was but I'm going to do a ladder test now at .050 to see. I have 166 rounds down the barrel now.

Quick question. When you rebarreled did you have your action trued??? I have a 1-8" X Caliber Remage that I am about to complete. I did read where one fella here recommended only squaring the action face, however I am an ex-Benchrest shooter, and also used to shoot 1000 yards often, and I prefer smaller groups! :cool:

Thanks in Advance! Ps. I'll be shooting Berger 180s as well. :)
I hear a lot about blue printing the 700s but little about the savage actions. Is truing just the face of the action where the barrel mates to the action or are guys squaring up the threads too? I may need to pull my barrel back off my savage and have this done.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.