50 Beowulf- Anyone want to take a guess?

rost495

I know its not long range, but no one else seems to help.....

Have a 50 beowulf. Load data is very hard to come by. Considering the case -- I have 325 and 350 bullets to use on deer and hogs out to around 200max.

Anyone want to toss out some thoughts on powders and charge weights? The more info I have the better I'll be.

The data I have is appx 37 gns lil gun with the 325 gn. One thing I'd like an opinion on is primers. Data shows LP mags. Dang they sure show pressure signs in my AR. Could or should I swap to LR primers. Maybe not mags though....

THanks, Jeff

Thanks, thats the 2 loads I have data on from that source. Nothing else out there. Like maybe try these powders from X to Y grains because your case is X big etc.....

James

I have 325 grainers. Can get 350 and 400 though 400 is probably a bit bigger than I need.

I'll take any data you have on the socom and interpolate it. Is it on a tiny case head also? Have never seen data on it or a picture.

If you want, email me to my home address with data. I spent 25 minutes on the phone with Sierra and not much info. Cannot get through to Speer so far. And need to contact Hodgdon but need to know case capacity before I deal with them. Any info is welcome. The more the merrier. Hoping to fill the case with powder somehow. I don't like partial loads.

[email protected]

Thanks, Jeff

I in no way profess the loads to be safe, this is data provided by Quickload. This is all according to the computer and its predetermined seating depth etc...

Looked up 50 Beo on quickload and did some playing. 325gr Speer H110 50gr 78% fill 2,232fps produces 32,887psi with a max load at 52gr 80% fill producing 36,612psi and 2,312fps.

H4227 gives a better fill but higher pressure and lower velocity???

If you want me to look up some powders yoiu have, shoot me an [email protected]

It also has the 458 Socom

redman

much better that 37 grains lil gun and a not full case. I'll have to get home and drop you a line. I have a bunch of powders around but I'll go buy something that fills it close to 100 percent, given the pressures and velocities are correct. FWIW I have a 16 inch tube so suspect the MV may be a bit lower.

I guess I need to get your program somehow. Just seems like not much is made for Mac computers.....

Thanks in advance, Jeff

email on the way! well ya may be in luck, 3 of the loads for the 458 w/300 gr. bullets fill the case over 90%
JS

Oh BTW, near as I can tell the 458 is the same case as the beowulf except necked to 45 cal and bigger rim. The parent case is the 50 AE stretched from 1.3 to 1.7"

I use 38.5 gr of h4227 and a 300gr speer hp, primer CCI 350 mag pistol. 20" barrel. @ 25 yards on the money, I can take the 10 ring out no problem, but @ 100 yards consistant 1/4 ->1/2" off the bull (which is the size of a 1/2" dollar. sights-- Red Dot w/o mag lens. Best load I've ever tried for the wulf. loading up a few for my smith.

The new Hornady reload manual has 50 beowulf reload data. Similar to mine to which I use H110 for powder. I've load 275 XPB and 375 XPB Barnes, 300 HP and 350 HP hornady. and 400 FP speers. Barnes work the best. The 275 XPB has a hollow point deep enough to use as a shot glass. Impact is like the fist of God.:D Going to try some 300gr hornady FTX lever bullets next. Cheaper then the Barnes. Pointed bullets tend to feed better too. The 400 flat point speers don't feed well. 375XPBs feed the best so far. As far optics, I'm using a Bushnell Banner Shotgun Scope 1.75-4x 32mm. This provides you with a longer eye relief so you don't get scoped. Great scope for the range of the weapon.
My 2 cents
KT

Id stay away from lilgun. I know its probably the most recomended powder but not in my gun. I did some testing when i heard that lilgun prematurely erroaded pistol throats because of the heat generated by it. I took my beo and shot 10 shots with lilgun rapid fire and could have probably lit a cigerette off the barrel. It was so hot it was smoking. I then did the same with 297 and i could hold the barrel in my hand for a couple of seconds. Im sure long term use of lilgun will erroade the first part of your barrel. My go to load is 36 grains of 297 and the renieer hp or solid. If i couldnt find 297 id look at 1680 next. its a bit slower so you could start with the same 36 grain charge and work up. If i couldnt find that id look at 110 or 297

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.