180gvld Berger 7mag?

zr600

Ok I'm going to try the 180g vld hunting in my 7mag. How would you start for loading just use a low charge all the same charge and load like Berger recommends which is .010 off, .050, .090, .130 off the lands and see which shoots the best, then take the the best seating depth from that test and do a powder charge? I'm starting with h1000 and retumbo.

I recommend the 180 Hybrids and H1000. Start them at .020 off and play with powder charges for velocities. I use a 7 RM almost exclusively and use the above mentioned combination.
20190208_085834.jpg

I use 67.6gr H1000 at 0.005" off the lands for 2930fps in my 7mm RM.

It shoots extremely well and it is very consistent. It's going to be my primary elk rifle this year.

Try Hodgdon 4831sc starting at around 63 grains. I Have 2 custom 7 mags that shoot that powder and 180 bergers extremely well at 2900ish. Good luck

My Sendero shot the 180 VLD's very well with 70.2gn of Retumbo. Consistent 3/4 MOA at 2975fps.
When I rebarreled it, I tried VV N570 and was quite pleased with the results. I'm getting 3050fps with 69.1gn and 1/2 MOA out to 725 yards.
Both times the bullets liked to be kissing the lands.

I would just start around 0.010 off and find your powder node first. I do this from starting about 2-3gr under book max or from what others are using. Then load one round each in 0.2gr increments from the start to max. Chronograph every shot and write the velocities down in the order you shot. Also while doing this, watch for pressure signs like heavy bolt lift and ejector marks. I have learned that certain primers and loads will flatten primers even at mild charges, so I rely less on what the primer is showing me and more on bolt lift and the ejector marks.

After shooting these rounds, there will be a clear spot in velocity where a 2-3 charges produce very close velocities. That's the node you're looking for. If you aren't happy with the speed you're getting, and you never maxed out on pressure, then I would slowly work up from your previous highest load in 0.1-0.2gr increments looking for the next higher node. After finding my velocity node, I'll load up 5 rounds in the middle of the node and test them for consistency. Normally, doing this will produce a 5 shot average with extreme spread 20 or less and single digit standard deviations. You must have a good scale and a good technique in order to make accurate and consistent loads.

My final step is shooting groups to fine tune my seating depth. If 0.010 doesn't shoot, then I start working back. I'll load 3 each in 0.010 increments from 0.010 to 0.060 off. This will narrow down your seat length "window". You should find a seat length from those groups that shoots better than others. Then from there, you can load 3 rounds each 0.002 deeper or longer until you find accuracy.

For a 7mm Rem Mag with 180s, I would recommend H1000, RL26, IMR 7977, and Retumbo. Find one of those powder you can get a surplus of and roll with it. I recommend Federal 215s, either standard or Gold Metal Match, or Remington 9 1/2 Magnums, we have had the best luck with those. And for brass I would get ADG or Norma.

Ok I'm going to try the 180g vld hunting in my 7mag. How would you start for loading just use a low charge all the same charge and load like Berger recommends which is .010 off, .050, .090, .130 off the lands and see which shoots the best, then take the the best seating depth from that test and do a powder charge? I'm starting with h1000 and retumbo.

What twist rate on your rig?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.